Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD 24" monitor selection  (Read 4832 times)

predstone

LCD 24" monitor selection
« on: May 05, 2007, 10:10:43 am »

Hi,
My Lacie 19electron Blue is fading and I am looking to replace it with a 24" lcd monitor. I find the reviews all focus on gaming etc.  Hard to tell relative differences and prices vary widely. I have explored the Samsung 24", Dell's new 24", Benq 24" and then apple 23. Hard to get a sense of whether the differences are important.
Thanks for any help here
Paul

KeithR

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 01:11:35 pm »

I had the same dilema. I put in my order for a new system and for $200 more I could get the 24" wide screen HD monitor. I did some digging and found it to be worth the upgrade price( it normally sells for just under $700). I was able to see the monitor on display in a store and wanted to see what control I would have in the monitor. It had everything I wanted including brightness/contrast, and RGB control(it can be calibrated). It also had DVI. When I ordered the system, I made sure that the video card would be powerful enough and have DVI. I will now have a digital signal going from the computer to the monitor. In short, the specs told me a little, but seeing it and working the contorls, I new that it would fit nicely for photo editing. And yes, I work with a calibrated system. The key, I've found, is that if you are looking to get a larger monitor, you have to make sure that you have a video card to handle what the monitor is capable of.

Hi,
My Lacie 19electron Blue is fading and I am looking to replace it with a 24" lcd monitor. I find the reviews all focus on gaming etc.  Hard to tell relative differences and prices vary widely. I have explored the Samsung 24", Dell's new 24", Benq 24" and then apple 23. Hard to get a sense of whether the differences are important.
Thanks for any help here
Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Aboud

• http://www.abouddweck.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 01:25:11 pm »

Best for photo editing only is Eizo 24" LCD. It has calibration software built-in.

predstone

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 04:07:30 pm »

Best for photo editing only is Eizo 24" LCD. It has calibration software built-in.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115836\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for response. That pushes the price a bit steep. Of the 700 to 800$ range does any stand out. I am not worried about calibration since I use EyeOne Display 2 (gretagmacbeth). Appreciate any addditional thoughts
Thanks
Paul

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 05:13:48 pm »

... Of the 700 to 800$ range does any stand out. I am not worried about calibration since I use EyeOne Display 2 (gretagmacbeth). Appreciate any addditional thoughts
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good/Big/Under $1k — pick two.

Do you really have to have a 24" widescreen monitor?  Which do you care more about, color quality or size?  If the former, then perhaps you should go smaller.  The excellent 20" NEC 2090uxi can be had for under $1k now.

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]

predstone

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 01:34:55 pm »

Good/Big/Under $1k — pick two.

Do you really have to have a 24" widescreen monitor?  Which do you care more about, color quality or size?  If the former, then perhaps you should go smaller.  The excellent 20" NEC 2090uxi can be had for under $1k now.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
THANK YOU FOR THE reality check. I plan to get the NEC 2090uxi.  I notice there is the NEC 2090 uxi-SV which seems to include a color calibration . I assume it is the same as the one without the Calibrator. I already have a GretagMacbeth eyeone display 2. Sounds like I just need the 2090 uxi only. Correct?
Thanks again
Paul

Nill Toulme

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 05:27:41 pm »

That's correct and the Eye One Match software works very well with it — the most recent version even in DDC-CI mode if your video card supports it.  

I do think it's worth buying the NEC Spectraview software if you have the extra 150 clams or so lying around, as it simplifies the calibration/profiling process even further and directly calibrates the monitor via its internal 12-bit LUTs, which AFAIK can't be done with any other software.  The Spectraview software works great with the Eye One Display 2 (obviously, given that the Display 2 is the puck NEC supplies with the software in the SV bundles).  (But if you don't have the 150 clams languishing, you can get along perfectly well without it.)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

mwookie

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 09:51:54 pm »

I had the same dilema. I put in my order for a new system and for $200 more I could get the 24" wide screen HD monitor. I did some digging and found it to be worth the upgrade price( it normally sells for just under $700). I was able to see the monitor on display in a store and wanted to see what control I would have in the monitor. It had everything I wanted including brightness/contrast, and RGB control(it can be calibrated). It also had DVI. When I ordered the system, I made sure that the video card would be powerful enough and have DVI. I will now have a digital signal going from the computer to the monitor. In short, the specs told me a little, but seeing it and working the contorls, I new that it would fit nicely for photo editing. And yes, I work with a calibrated system. The key, I've found, is that if you are looking to get a larger monitor, you have to make sure that you have a video card to handle what the monitor is capable of.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Keith - What monitor did you end up getting? I am also looking, although I am not sure I really need anything this big. My Lacie has a few dead pixels and sometimes when I turn it on it goes all purple. I just shut it off and go again and everything is fine. The color profile validates well, but it seems to have to be re-calibrated more often than it used to.

KeithR

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:30:44 am »

It is a Gateway. I know that isn't a top of the line, but after I saw one on display and dug into the controls I was satisfied. I don't do photography for a living, so I couldn't justify the cost of a high end screen. Besides, I also know that Gateway doesn't make the screen or controls and that the video card has a lot to do with output. I was suprised at the quality and for the cost as an add on to the system I ordered, it was a no brainer. My current PC is over 5 years OLD and I had the opportunity to upgrade and since I've had zero problems with Gateway for over 11 years, I went back to them. Gateway-Dell, Nikon_Canon. Everyone has both good and bad stories to tell. The bottom line is does it work, do what you want it to.  

Keith - What monitor did you end up getting? I am also looking, although I am not sure I really need anything this big. My Lacie has a few dead pixels and sometimes when I turn it on it goes all purple. I just shut it off and go again and everything is fine. The color profile validates well, but it seems to have to be re-calibrated more often than it used to.

The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Nill Toulme

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 11:39:21 am »

...I also know that Gateway doesn't make the screen or controls and that the video card has a lot to do with output. ...
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For photo processing purposes, the video card has almost nothing to do with the quality of output beyond supporting the necessary resolution and, perhaps in a few cases, providing the requisite connectivity for direct calibration.

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]
Pages: [1]   Go Up