Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 custom paper size problem  (Read 6377 times)

zhupanov

Z3100 custom paper size problem
« on: May 04, 2007, 06:48:18 pm »

Folks,

My Z3100 which worked fine (apart from the gamut problem on matte paper)
for over a month now has suddenly started to spit out and cut off 36" of paper
regardless of the actual roll size.  I am using the latest firmware, drivers, and
all HP software.  I spent 1/2 a day on the phone with HP support, and have
reinstalled everything under their guidance.

I specified 24"x36" (custom) document size (since the driver stupidly insists
on having the length specified despite the fact that the Paper Source is Roll).
Now, this used to work just fine until a couple of days ago.  By this I mean that
the printer would cut off the roll as soon as it stopped printing right at the line
of the end of the printed area (well, about 1/2 inch of white was left on the end).
Now, all of a sudden, regardless of the size of the printed area, it rolls out 36"
worth of paper and then cuts off.  This is happening regardless of the
print software used (including QImage, PS CS3, and Print Test Page feature of
Properties of the driver itself).

I saw references to what seemed like might be this same problem in other
posts, but, alas, these were just mentions -- no links, etc.  Search yielded nothing.

To me, it looks like there is a bug in the driver (the last version, at least).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated -- HP was not helpful so far,
and I am not looking forward to spending another day on the phone with them,
since I don't have much hope they (tech support) can do anything about this.

Thanks very much!
   sergey

zhupanov

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 07:33:41 pm »

I found this thread:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....hl=custom+paper

which gave me an idea to try deleting all custom paper sizes I have added.  After doing that, I created exactly one custom paper size 24"x36", reset the driver Printing Preferences, and experimented for a while -- to no avail.  It still stubbornly prints (I used Print Preview to save a couple rolls of paper I would have wasted by now) 36" long prints every time.

Oh, and I have tried every conceivable combination of Printing Preferences parameters I and HP tech support could think of -- also with no effect.  In particular, it is interesting, that unlike its behavior before the problem occurred, the setting of "Remove blank top/bottom areas" has absolutely no effect.  That is, it still prints 36" worth of paper, regardless of whether that check box is checked or unchecked.

Thanks,
   sergey

Tony B.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 10:17:10 pm »

If you have not already turned off the printer for a little while you might try that.  When some of us iPF5000 owners start having strange issues it seems that turning the printer off/on will remedy the issue.  Not sure about the HP's but its worth a try if you have not already done so.
If that does not resolve the issue you might try removing/reinstalling the printer driver.

Tony

zhupanov

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 12:58:28 am »

Tony, thanks very much for your advice!  I did indeed, twice, turn the printer off and on again.  Also, as I mentioned, I have reinstalled the driver and all the rest of HP software under the guidance of HP tech support to the latest versions downloaded from HP web site.  Also, I have (previously) updated the printer to the latest firmware.  All to no avail.
Still need help...

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 12:54:18 am »

Tony, thanks very much for your advice!  I did indeed, twice, turn the printer off and on again.  Also, as I mentioned, I have reinstalled the driver and all the rest of HP software under the guidance of HP tech support to the latest versions downloaded from HP web site.  Also, I have (previously) updated the printer to the latest firmware.  All to no avail.
Still need help...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Never had this problem but here is a somewhat obvious idea:
You may have already checked this but is your roll paper loaded as a sheet paper on the printer? (You would probably notice this in print preview).
- Doug

zhupanov

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 02:26:50 pm »

No, Doug, it is definitely loaded as Roll.  Also, I have reloaded different rolls
repeatedly in an attempt to fight this.  In desperation, I thought that, perhaps,
the problem is with the Epson Ultra Smooth FA that I was using, so I switched to
HP Professional Satin -- nothing changed.  BTW, are you using the latest driver/software?
Thanks!

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 03:06:29 am »

No, Doug, it is definitely loaded as Roll.  Also, I have reloaded different rolls
repeatedly in an attempt to fight this.  In desperation, I thought that, perhaps,
the problem is with the Epson Ultra Smooth FA that I was using, so I switched to
HP Professional Satin -- nothing changed.  BTW, are you using the latest driver/software?
Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm on a mac g5 using latest firmware upgrade and drivers available on HP website. I'm also using APS but was using regular/easy care profiles. Both work well so far. Photoshop CS2 as well using print with preview. For a 24" roll I always use a size configured with 24" listed first (width) x whatever length.

I just had an extra paper problem when I sent a fit to page file in 16bit. Image didn't print and rolled out more paper than I specified. Converted to 8bit before sending and printed fine.

Have you tried printing with the cutting turned off to see how far it actually advances the paper once done printing? You can then manually select trim at the printer.

Portfolio

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 12:51:18 pm »

My Z3100 works fine too except for sometimes cutting too early or rolling out extra paper.

Unfortunately, its neither repeatable nor consistent.

I'm using Qimage to nest the images, but I don't think its a Qimage problem since after Qimage has finished, I get the HP print preview which is always perfect.

I'm fairly sure that the problem is a limitation or bug in custom paper sizes, and I've heard that it can handle a max of 7 of these. I have around 20, starting at 44" x 7", then 44x 10", 44"x 13" etc.

HP have been helpful, but its hard to get to the bottom of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up