Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nodal point of Mamiya 645 Lenses  (Read 3249 times)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Nodal point of Mamiya 645 Lenses
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:54:21 am »

Are  the nodal points of Mamiya 645 lenses published anywhere?
In particular, I am interested in 80mm and 150mm.

Thanks,

Joe Behar

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:41:44 am »

Are  the nodal points of Mamiya 645 lenses published anywhere?
In particular, I am interested in 80mm and 150mm.

Thanks,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nodal points for any lens camera combination can be found for practical photography very easily. If you get to the kaidan webiste (obvious URL) you will find a short, very easy to understand and do tutorial on finding the nodal point of your camera/lens combination. Nodal points are important in panoramic photography. Knowing the exact mathematical point might be an interesting excercise in pure knowledge but in my experience totally non useable in practical terms.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:24:54 am »

Nodal points for any lens camera combination can be found for practical photography very easily. If you get to the kaidan webiste (obvious URL) you will find a short, very easy to understand and do tutorial on finding the nodal point of your camera/lens combination. Nodal points are important in panoramic photography. Knowing the exact mathematical point might be an interesting excercise in pure knowledge but in my experience totally non useable in practical terms.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115489\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unless you are into stitching panoramas especially with objects in the foreground or objects that form lines that are expected to be straight from front to back.

Although you can get very far without using the nodal point (which I believe isn't the correct term but someone else can correct me here). I don't make enough panoramas  to justify a pano set like the RRS or Kaidan. Sofar I haven't really needed it but now and than I could have used the added precision of working from the nodal point and from a quality pano head (instead of the simple Novoflex thingie).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 09:30:04 am by Dustbak »

MichaelEzra

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 09:52:56 am »

Thanks for the info. My question is specifically to find out the values of the distances to the nodal points from the front of the lens, not why nodal points are important:) If anyone can share that information, I would greatly appreciate it. I know this can be measured, yet I would prefer to rely on manufacturer's info.

Nikon, for example, does not disclose the nodal point distances for their lenses (even on special request), yet they have published a method (the best, in my opinion) for measuring them.

plinden

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 06:54:32 pm »

Michael, while I don't have the Mamiya system I do have an H3 and my Hasselblad lens measurments may give you a starting point. I detemined the nodal points as per the recommended procedure (as best I could).

The nodal point for the H 80mm is about 8 cm. back and about 6 cm back for the H 150. I say "about" because I've found quite a range that seems to give similar results.

Hope this gets you started.

Peter Linden

MichaelEzra

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 10:37:49 pm »

Thanks, Peter!
Pages: [1]   Go Up