Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4800 Not Centering Image With 17" Roll  (Read 3556 times)

Peter McLennan

4800 Not Centering Image With 17" Roll
« on: May 02, 2007, 07:50:10 pm »

The roll paper is 17", the image is 11" high, I'm printing to a custom size of 17X30.  The Epson driver says that the top margin will be 2.8" and "Center Image" is checked.

Trouble is, my top margin doesn't print at 2.8", it prints at 3.5" and the #^&@$ print is an inch too low on the sheet.  "Borderless" is not checked.

What can I be doing wrong?

Peter

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 10:05:16 pm »

Do you mean it's an inch too low on the 17" dimension?  You're printing landscape?  Because if it's the long way you can just make your paper size a inch bigger and trim it, no?  If you're going landscape, try printing portrait instead and rotate the image so it fits.  

Does that make sense?  This is all in the way of workarounds, mind you — longer ways of saying I don't know what's wrong but ways maybe to get around it.

FWIW, I print on roll paper on the 4800 using Qimage and it seems to get it right every time.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:02:57 am »

Do you mean it's an inch too low on the 17" dimension?  You're printing landscape?  Because if it's the long way you can just make your paper size a inch bigger and trim it, no?  If you're going landscape, try printing portrait instead and rotate the image so it fits. 

Does that make sense?  This is all in the way of workarounds, mind you — longer ways of saying I don't know what's wrong but ways maybe to get around it.

FWIW, I print on roll paper on the 4800 using Qimage and it seems to get it right every time.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115440\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I'm printing landscape mode.  The print's an inch too low.  What the heck is wrong with Epson anyway?

I'll install my copy of Qimage and try that.  Thanks, Nill.

Peter

Nill Toulme

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 10:09:49 am »

Qimage has a bit of a learning curve.  It's well worth the effort though.

But the more I think about it, the more I think you can do a quick workaround simply by rotating your image sideways, then printing it in portrait mode.  Worth a try if you're in a hurry.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:10:28 am by Nill Toulme »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 02:08:03 pm »

Qimage has a bit of a learning curve.  It's well worth the effort though.

But the more I think about it, the more I think you can do a quick workaround simply by rotating your image sideways, then printing it in portrait mode.  Worth a try if you're in a hurry.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That didn't help either.   I might have mis-loaded the roll, it's my first time with 17" paper.  Looking at the paper from the output side, I can see that the roll is about a half centimeter to the left of the white line with the arrow.  That would account for some of the problem, but not all of it.  Hmmm.

BTW, nice work on your site.  That's a great shot of the kid and (grandfather?) fishing.  I bet that print's on their wall.

Nill Toulme

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 04:03:41 pm »

Thanks.  That's my son on his tenth birthday, with a guide hired by his godfather.  His first time out, and he landed a 22" rainbow!

Are you sure you have your paper size set up correctly?  You want it to be 1700 wide by x high, not the other way around.  

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:06:14 pm by Nill Toulme »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:52:42 pm »

Are you sure you have your paper size set up correctly?  You want it to be 1700 wide by x high, not the other way around. 

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes.  The paper is cut off automatically by the printer at the correct length - 30".

Nill Toulme

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 08:35:17 pm »

Yes.  The paper is cut off automatically by the printer at the correct length - 30".
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
But my point is that you should have your custom paper size set at 17 w x 30 h, not 30 w x 17 h.  The Epson has a non-defeatable .55" bottom margin, and the driver allows for that.  That just might be the reason it's offsetting your print by about an inch.  Although, the more I think about it, the less sense that makes...

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:36:33 pm by Nill Toulme »
Pages: [1]   Go Up