Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro 9000 (dye) or Canon Pro 9500 (pigment) ?  (Read 4932 times)

Dinkyo

Canon Pro 9000 (dye) or Canon Pro 9500 (pigment) ?
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:36:27 am »

Hello,

I am  hesitating between buying the Canon Pro 9000 (dye ink) and the Canon Pro 9500 (pigment ink).  

I use it to print colour leaflets that I laminate and show in my windows, and some will even be exposed behind a window in direct sunlight.

I will exhibit them from a few months and sometimes up until three years.

I know that in these conditions (sun), whichever printer I choose the colours will tend to fade quickly.

Is it then worth buying the 9500, because the price, the paper and the ink are more expensive. The 9500 is known to have more resistant colors because of it's pigmented inks (200 years in a photo album) but with my "extreme" conditions in the sun and the short conservation time that I need, won't the result be about the same, whatever printer I choose ? I can even keep the leaflet for one year a print again if I need longer.

I would prefer to take the 9000 and it is also the advice that I received.

What do you think ?

Thanks for your advice !

Dinkyo

Dinkyo

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:57:29 am »

Hello, I got a very interesting answer on another forum from Ray, I give it to you here :

"The differences between dye and pigment inks has narrowed considerably in the last few years. It's not just ink technology that has improved, but also paper technology.

Pigment inks have inherently been more long lived, but have had their problems with colour gamut, which has been addressed through a greater number of inks.

Dye inks have inherently had a greater colour gamut, but have had issues with longevity, which has been addressed through better paper technology in swellable papers, as well as improved dyes.

Comparing my IPF5000 (pigment) and i9950 (dye) printers, there's not all that much difference in colour quality; however, B&W is much better with the IPF5000 because of the extra greys. That aside, and taking into account the latest Canon dye printers, I think that the differences have narrowed considerably.

The one big difference nowadays between pigment and dye prints is that pigment prints are pretty much waterproof; whereas, dye prints are definitely not. How either stand up to harsh sunlight conditions, I can't say at the moment, but for ordinary household conditions, I think both would be excellent.

The only other difference between pigment and dye based printers is that you have a greater range of papers to choose from for pigment printing. In a practical sense, this may not be an issue, as with my i9950, all I ever used was Ilford Galerie Classic Pearl. Most likely I'll never use more than two types of paper with the IPF5000."

Dinkyo

Sal Baker

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 12:34:48 pm »

The HP B9180 seems like it would be much better for your needs.  Operating costs will be less due to the HP's larger ink carts, and the HP inks resist light fading twice as long as Canon pigment inks.  Hp has also been offering excellent support on the B9180, with immediate printer replacements when needed.  Worth looking at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up