Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle PhotoRag 308 and the Epson 3800  (Read 5615 times)

ScottWald

Hahnemuhle PhotoRag 308 and the Epson 3800
« on: May 01, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

I ran some tests to find out the best Epson 3800 Media Type settings for Hahnemuhle PhotoRag 308 (the Hahnemuhle site offers a profile but no advice regarding which Media Type to select).  As my previous printer was an Epson 2200, I had automatically selected ‘Watercolor–Radiant White’, which was the setting recommended by Hahnemuhle for that printer and the profile they offered for it.  However, when I made my first prints on the 3800 with this setting I was very disappointed—the D-max was much lower than what I had been getting with the 2200.  Hence the need for some tests.  Here are my results:

Velvet Fine Art — This offers the greatest D-max.

Enhanced Matte — This yields results almost identical to the VFA setting.  There might be a slightly lower D-max than with the VFA setting, but I can’t say for certain (I’m just eyeballing here).

Water Color – Radiant White — This yields a noticeably lower D-max than either the VFA or EM settings (and, hence, my initial disappointment with the 3800 and Hahn PhotoRag 308).

Ultra Smooth Fine Art — This yields results much like those with WC – RW.  There might be a slightly lower D-max than with the WC – RW setting, but I can’t say for certain.

In each case I used the Hahn profile offered for PhotoRag 308 on the 3800 on their website, and rendered with perceptual intent, BPC off.

I have also compared a print made using the VFA setting on the 3800 with one I made on my 2200, and I have to say that I think the D-max is still slightly higher on the print from the 2200.  It is, however, not a great difference, and the prints I’m getting from the 3800 with the VFA setting I regard as acceptable. Whether or not the D-max with the VFA setting on the 3800 can be increased by adjusting the Paper Configuration settings I don’t know.  I’m out of Photo Rag now, and don’t want to restock at this time.  If someone else would run some tests along these line I (and others, I’m sure) would greatly appreciate it.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 03:25:24 pm »

Scott, I will be running some tests on HPR soon, but how soon I can't say (probably not for at least another week or two).

My experience with most matte papers on the 3800 is that USFA actually produces the deepest black with VFA a close second. Since I haven't tried HPR, it is possible this paper behaves differently. I'll let you know when I try and measure the results.

I have also found that USFA gives significantly better shadow separation (i.e., clearer delineation between successive dark tones) over the other options.

I haven't found the Watercolor Paper - Radiant White option to be suitable for any MK paper I've tried so far. Blacks are very weak (and neutrals are very warm). Not recommended.

FYI, when I try a new paper, I print a custom-made chart using several different driver settings and measure it with my EyeOne. The chart helps me to ascertain driver setting behavior in terms of neutral grays, gray linearity, color saturation, shadow separation, and highlight separation. Of course I can measure d-max this way, too. (This can be tricky because density is not even across the sheet: the edge that the print head starts printing on always has slightly less density than the opposite edge.)
Eric Chan

ScottWald

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 03:45:40 pm »

Scott, I will be running some tests on HPR soon, but how soon I can't say (probably not for at least another week or two).

My experience with most matte papers on the 3800 is that USFA actually produces the deepest black with VFA a close second. Since I haven't tried HPR, it is possible this paper behaves differently. I'll let you know when I try and measure the results.

I have also found that USFA gives significantly better shadow separation (i.e., clearer delineation between successive dark tones) over the other options.

I haven't found the Watercolor Paper - Radiant White option to be suitable for any MK paper I've tried so far. Blacks are very weak (and neutrals are very warm). Not recommended.

FYI, when I try a new paper, I print a custom-made chart using several different driver settings and measure it with my EyeOne. The chart helps me to ascertain driver setting behavior in terms of neutral grays, gray linearity, color saturation, shadow separation, and highlight separation. Of course I can measure d-max this way, too. (This can be tricky because density is not even across the sheet: the edge that the print head starts printing on always has slightly less density than the opposite edge.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Eric.  I'm looking forward to your tests with the Hahn PhotoRag, the results of which will certainly trump anything I can offer just using my eyes.
Scott

BarryS

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 04:35:56 pm »

HM does offer instructions, they just haven't added the link under the 3800 yet.

http://www.hahnemuehle.com/media/downloads...ction_Epson.pdf

For HM PhotoRag, they recommend, VFA, Perceptual, no BPC--pretty much the same as your conclusion.  

I ran some tests to find out the best Epson 3800 Media Type settings for Hahnemuhle PhotoRag 308 (the Hahnemuhle site offers a profile but no advice regarding which Media Type to select).  As my previous printer was an Epson 2200, I had automatically selected ‘Watercolor–Radiant White’, which was the setting recommended by Hahnemuhle for that printer and the profile they offered for it.  However, when I made my first prints on the 3800 with this setting I was very disappointed—the D-max was much lower than what I had been getting with the 2200.  Hence the need for some tests.  Here are my results:

Velvet Fine Art — This offers the greatest D-max.

Enhanced Matte — This yields results almost identical to the VFA setting.  There might be a slightly lower D-max than with the VFA setting, but I can’t say for certain (I’m just eyeballing here).

Water Color – Radiant White — This yields a noticeably lower D-max than either the VFA or EM settings (and, hence, my initial disappointment with the 3800 and Hahn PhotoRag 308).

Ultra Smooth Fine Art — This yields results much like those with WC – RW.  There might be a slightly lower D-max than with the WC – RW setting, but I can’t say for certain.

In each case I used the Hahn profile offered for PhotoRag 308 on the 3800 on their website, and rendered with perceptual intent, BPC off.

I have also compared a print made using the VFA setting on the 3800 with one I made on my 2200, and I have to say that I think the D-max is still slightly higher on the print from the 2200.  It is, however, not a great difference, and the prints I’m getting from the 3800 with the VFA setting I regard as acceptable. Whether or not the D-max with the VFA setting on the 3800 can be increased by adjusting the Paper Configuration settings I don’t know.  I’m out of Photo Rag now, and don’t want to restock at this time.  If someone else would run some tests along these line I (and others, I’m sure) would greatly appreciate it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115196\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up