Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson R3800 very pleased  (Read 21009 times)

dgillilan

New Epson R3800 very pleased
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 03:10:29 pm »

Steve,
I have only used my Epson R3800 printing from Adobe Photoshop CS3, with CS3 managing color, using a specific icc profile, printer has "no" for color mgmt.
Debra

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 03:48:48 pm »

Steve, it is very straightforward to print directly out of Lightroom.

To my knowledge, LR does not allow you to soft-proof (unlike PS). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Eric Chan

vandevanterSH

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 09:13:47 pm »

No soft proof with LR. Thanks for the help, I ordered a 3800 and some paper this evening.  I am sure I will be back with more ?'s when it arrives next week.

Steve

dgillilan

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 10:07:20 am »

No soft proof with LR. Thanks for the help, I ordered a 3800 and some paper this evening.  I am sure I will be back with more ?'s when it arrives next week.
Steve

Steve- I think you will be very happy with your new Epson R3800 - I am !!  I believe that the 3800 offers the same quality(ink, # nozzles, etc.) as the much more expensive models, the difference is the "extras" such as roll ability, etc.
Debra

vandevanterSH

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 01:25:01 pm »

Is anyone using an Apple Cinema 30 with their R3800?  After more reading, including some of Eric's excellent material, it seems that a properly calibrated monitor is one of the keys to good prints.  I have done a few test prints using my new CFV back to Flexcolor >DNG>LR.  They are much darker than desirable.   I am using Eye-One display calibration.  Eric suggests luminance of 90-95.  The lowest I can reduce my display is 107-110 using the system preference.  Any advice?

Steve

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 02:33:05 pm »

Hi Steve,

Display calibration is important ... but are you also sure that your application and driver settings are correct?  Maybe double-check against this checklist:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...ntworkflow.html
Eric Chan

vandevanterSH

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 11:37:25 am »

My R3800 arrived yesterday afternoon...I had other things to do so I planned on set-up today. At 11:00 last night , I couldn't stand it  so I open the box and got busy. The set up is easy and as Eric has said, printing directly from LR gives good results.  There is a lot to get out of this printer but it does give great pictures as a plug and play printer.

Steve

dgillilan

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 01:07:15 pm »

My R3800 arrived yesterday afternoon...I had other things to do so I planned on set-up today. At 11:00 last night , I couldn't stand it  so I open the box and got busy. The set up is easy and as Eric has said, printing directly from LR gives good results.  There is a lot to get out of this printer but it does give great pictures as a plug and play printer.
Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116974\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great, Steve, hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.  I still have much to try out with it,
Debra

Michael LS

• http://michaelshafitz.zenfolio.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007, 05:28:58 pm »

Hello 3800 users, I'm really liking (mostly!) what I read here on your work with this printer. I'm curious about how many use matte vs gloss/semi papers for their color prints. If I bought a 3800, I'm wondering if I can avoid the black ink waste issue and be satisfied using only one type of paper. I have no experience with pigment inks, but prefer matte papers for both color and b&w with my current dye Epson. Do the K3 inks really need glossy media to look great? The potential snafu for me is I absolutely love matte papers for my b&w, and would want to use them on the 3800. But if the majority of you are using gloss/semigloss papers for color, then I'd probably be doing a lot of black switching, since I print equal amounts of color and b&w. Thanks for any and all feedback.  
Mike
[url=http://michaelshafitz.zenfolio.com/

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2007, 06:20:46 pm »

Switching Matt K to Photo K in the 3800 only takes about 1-2 minutes and uses about 1.5 ml of ink...so it's not really all that difficult, time wasting and ink wasting activity.

As far as the matt k vs photo k issue, it's really of a matter of what sort of dynamic range you need in your prints. Glossy/semi-gloss can go up to 1.4 dynamic rang while a matt paper only about .7. If you need really deep blacks, then you'll need the gloss/semi-gloss route.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up