Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One P30+ should be on its way...  (Read 7090 times)

william

Phase One P30+ should be on its way...
« on: April 30, 2007, 02:47:01 pm »

My P30+ should be on its way in the near future.  I will have a bit of time (I can't remember exactly how many days) to evaluate it before deciding whether to return my "regular" P30 and keep the P30+.  So, I'll be doing some side-by-side testing.  I'm looking for thoughts as to areas of comparison.  I'd be happy to write up a mini-review for this site.

By way of reference, I have two Contax 645 bodies, so I can have the P30 on one body and the P30+ on the other.  I'll just swap the lens back and forth (probably introducing some dust along the way) so that I will be comparing the backs, not the lenses used.  I'll use the Contax 120mm Macro, because the resolving power of that lens is outstanding and should therefore allow me to get closer to the "limits" of each sensor than using one of the other (still very good) Contax lenses.  The disadvantage of using a manual focus lens is that I'm not the best at manually focusing, but I'll be as careful as possible. I'll shoot on a tripod, both with strobes and available light.  I will not shoot pictures of brick walls or resolving charts, because I find that boring.  Nor do I plan to test shooting speed, other than noting my purely subjective impressions.  I'll try to do a bit of available light work outdoors, some product shots with strobes, some product shots with natural light, as well as hopefully snagging a model for some studio portraits.  I'll shoot both tethered and untethered.  I'll process the shots in C1.  (Do I get the new version of C1 on a CD with the new back or should I download it ahead of time?  I forgot to ask my dealer).

Here's what I've come up with so far in terms of what to look for:

(1) High ISO differences
(2) Color rendition
(3) LCD Screen
(4) Very long exposure differences  (not really important for my shooting, but will test it if I can set up an easy way to do so)
(5) Startup time

Anything else anyone's interested in?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 04:43:40 pm »

6. Uniformity (cenetrfold)
7. Sharpness.
8. Infra-red sensitivity (check synthetic fabric blacks).

Edmund

Here's what I've come up with so far in terms of what to look for:

(1) High ISO differences
(2) Color rendition
(3) LCD Screen
(4) Very long exposure differences  (not really important for my shooting, but will test it if I can set up an easy way to do so)
(5) Startup time

Anything else anyone's interested in?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115030\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 04:44:57 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:48:42 pm »

6. Uniformity (cenetrfold)
7. Sharpness.
8. Infra-red sensitivity (check synthetic fabric blacks).

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There has never been a centerforld problem with P30
Willow Photography

eronald

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 04:40:18 am »

There has never been a centerforld problem with P30
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115087\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Willow,

I agree there has never been a centerfold problem with the P30.

But one really doesn't know what is inside the P30+, so a check won't hurt.

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 04:40:47 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

william

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 09:09:13 am »

Well, I didn't really follow the centerfold issue, but I thought the issue was that the "full frame" backs are made by joining two smaler chips together and that the centerfold appears along the seam or join of the two chips?  If so, then the P30 wouldn't exhibit this problem because it's made from one single chip.  Regardless, I'll look for it, but I probably won't specifically test for it.  Edmund, thanks for the other suggestions as well.

Anything else?

Willow,

I agree there has never been a centerfold problem with the P30.

But one really doesn't know what is inside the P30+, so a check won't hurt.
Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115137\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

eronald

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 06:39:12 pm »

William,

The causes of this problem can be more complicated., for instance an unmatched set of readout amps can cause unevenness in the resulting image. Just check for it - the best way, I think is to shoot something rather dark and then push the Raw development.

I'm fairly confident you wull find no issue, because as Willow pointed out this has not been a problem with the recent Phase backs which the Plus series are replacing.

Edmund

Well, I didn't really follow the centerfold issue, but I thought the issue was that the "full frame" backs are made by joining two smaler chips together and that the centerfold appears along the seam or join of the two chips?  If so, then the P30 wouldn't exhibit this problem because it's made from one single chip.  Regardless, I'll look for it, but I probably won't specifically test for it.  Edmund, thanks for the other suggestions as well.

Anything else?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 06:40:44 pm by eronald »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 01:50:23 am »

William,

The causes of this problem can be more complicated., for instance an unmatched set of readout amps can cause unevenness in the resulting image. Just check for it - the best way, I think is to shoot something rather dark and then push the Raw development.

I'm fairly confident you wull find no issue, because as Willow pointed out this has not been a problem with the recent Phase backs which the Plus series are replacing.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure the P30 will show centerfold. I know I can get the 6 parts of my Aptus to show (I thought most sensors have 6 parts and some have a 2way read-out which can cause centerfold?) when I brutally overexpose and pull it way back in levels.

william

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 09:55:19 am »

Just FYI, it appears that all models of all Plus series backs are now beginning to ship:

http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page....cid=7-8739-8955
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:07:52 am by william »

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 10:03:56 am »

William,

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have never heard of or seen an example of an image from a MFDB with a Kodak chip that has had a centerfold issue... please enlighten me if there is such a case presented somewhere on the net  

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 11:37:27 am »

I have never heard of or seen an example of an image from a MFDB with a Kodak chip that has had a centerfold issue... please enlighten me if there is such a case presented somewhere on the net   

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

actually...i just did a shoot with my P30: black girl against a black background, iso 800, fading light....opened in LR......voila: a straight line across the (vertical) frame seperating the top and bottom.....opened the same file in C1, no line.....

i have to say that the line was only visible when zoomed in, but it was there.....i guess C1 does something to stop this from happening.....

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 12:12:40 pm »

Axel

I had the centerfold appear on a sequence of 3 exposures while test driving a
Hasselblad H2D39 last fall.
No other files in over 300 that were shot of assorted subjects presented the centerfold

I also had the centerfold appear,recently,while shooting with the newish Leica M8,which
also uses a Kodak chip.

If I have time later i'll try to dig out the H2D file with the centerfold and post a crop
for your enjoyment :>))

Mark

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 07:04:10 pm »

Here is a sample of the centerfold effect appearing on a Kodak-chipped back.

I made a mistake in my previous post where I stated the back/camera was the H2D39.
In reality it was a CF39 and the camera an H1

The attached image is a center crop that represents about 1/3 of the total frame.

I have chosen to attach only the red channel as the centerfold is not visible in either the
green or blue channels.

The effect is very subtle in the original color version (dusk shot with rich blue sky) and
I only really discovered the centerfold when doing a black and white conversion in
Photoshop using Channel Mixer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up