Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod and 13 pound 4X5 camera  (Read 3006 times)

BobDavid

Tripod and 13 pound 4X5 camera
« on: April 29, 2007, 10:39:25 pm »

I've been thinking about getting the Venbo El Carmagne 630A to support my Arca Swiss 4X5 Monolith camera. I'll be shooting on location and in the studio. I plan on using it with an Arca Swiss Z-1 ballhead.

The specs claim that the tripod can handle a load of up to 25 pounds. The Arca with digital back, lens, and ball head should come in at around 19 pounds. Am I crazy to think that this 3+ pound tripod will be sufficient?

-Bob in Florida
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:39:47 pm by BobDavid »

Sheldon N

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 12:24:09 am »

I haven't used the Velbon, but I'd personally lean towards one of the Gitzo GT3xxx series cabron fiber tripods instead. The Z1 may also be a little bit light as well, perhaps the B1, RRS BH-55, or Markins M20 would be a better fit.

I use a Gitzo 1325 and Markins M20 for my 4x5 wood field camera, and I felt the need to upgrad from a smaller tripod (similar to the Velbon). With the Arca Swiss M-Line weighing twice as much, I think you might run into the same problem.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 12:43:15 pm »

The LF people say that you should get a tripod rated to carry double the weight of your equipment. The Velbon's are OK but have nowhere near the stability of even the Manfrotto's CF tripods. I had the 530 and it didn't cut it for my 5D and 70-200L, it just wasn't stable enough for the focal lengths. Given the amount of bellows draw you may be using and the long focal lengths used with LF together with the weight of your equipment I can't see the velbon being anywhere near enough. Keep in mind that you need to take the manufacturers claims with a pinch of salt anyway.

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:31:04 pm »

I looked at a Velbon 630 today. No way could it support an Arca 4X5 M. I decided to go with a Gitzo 3540XLS instead. Unfortunately, it cost 2.5 times as much as the Velbon. I'm 48. I've bought five tripods throughout my life. I've never really completely liked any of them. I figure it's about time I got something that I'll love and won't end up getting frustrated with.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:31:57 pm by BobDavid »

George Barr

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 11:11:56 pm »

I found that when the tripod weighed significantly less than the camera/lens/back combination, it was a very unstable setup. Even carrying it was awkward. Moving the tripod a few feet risked the whole thing going 'ass over teakettle'. Frankly I think this is a bigger issue than excess weight handling ability. This is based on humping a variety of 4X5 view cameras up and down embankments and hopping streams and such.

George

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 11:53:31 am »

I have to say that I've been very happy with the stability of my Manfrotto MF3 and the non CF 055 before it was also very good. Gitzo has long been out of my thoughts simply because I hated the leg locks so much, now with the new non rotate locks they are finally useable but they are still extremely expensive.

Deep

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:57:22 am »

I don't have a 19 pound camera but I do have a Manfrotto 058 with a large Monoball head, similar to what you are talking about.  The setup is so strong it can support me, let alone a camera (I know, but I got it cheap and had to try).  I have used it outdoors in strong winds with various camera/lens combinations and that is why I realise that it is actually pretty light for what you get - outstanding stability.  It isn't that hard to carry around either.  The thing is, you can pick these legs up for much less than most of the fancy stuff and you can absolutely rely on them.

Just a thought!

Don.
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up