Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with CS2?  (Read 7939 times)

mcanyes

• www.dig-arts.biz
What to do with CS2?
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:41:04 am »

I am curious to know if anyone has found any reason to keep CS2 around after installing CS3? Any problems with CS3 not working after removing CS2?

Thanks,
Michael Canyes
Michael Canyes
Nikon stuff www.dig-arts.

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
What to do with CS2?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:47:28 am »

I am curious to know if anyone has found any reason to keep CS2 around after installing CS3? Any problems with CS3 not working after removing CS2?

Thanks,
Michael Canyes
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are plenty of posts on the Adobe Photoshop Windows forum from people who suggest keeping both CS2 and CS3 installations until bugs are worked out on CS3.

paulbk

What to do with CS2?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 10:02:40 am »

re: my system = Windows XP pro, 4 GB RAM

I strongly recommend keeping CS2 loaded and operational. Currently I print from CS2 because CS3 does not center the image as expected. (I print to an Epson 4000. CS2 and the Epson driver centers the image just fine.)

Also, some of the PK Pixelgenius tools don’t work the same. Example, in CS2 you can run a PK tool regardless what layer is selected. Same tool in CS3 you must first select the Background layer. Need to edit Actions.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

mcanyes

• www.dig-arts.biz
What to do with CS2?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:48:55 am »

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I'll keep it around for a while.
Michael Canyes

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
What to do with CS2?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 08:22:13 am »

re: my system = Windows XP pro, 4 GB RAM

I strongly recommend keeping CS2 loaded and operational. Currently I print from CS2 because CS3 does not center the image as expected. (I print to an Epson 4000. CS2 and the Epson driver centers the image just fine.)

Also, some of the PK Pixelgenius tools don’t work the same. Example, in CS2 you can run a PK tool regardless what layer is selected. Same tool in CS3 you must first select the Background layer. Need to edit Actions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114859\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul, does this comment apply to PK Sharpener? I know the Background Layer needs to "exist" and be switched on for PK Sharpener to work in CS2, but as you say it does not need to be "selected" in CS2.

Have you made any progress on the print-cenetering problem using CS3 with the Epson driver? That is a matter of serious concern and unless there is an easy work-around would deter me from installing my copy of CS3 until it is resolved. It defies belief how Adobe could release software with this kind of defect. I wonder whether anything else is going on in your system that may be causing it - say something knocked by the install, (which as we've read has not been a smooth sail for many folks)?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

pminicucci

What to do with CS2?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 10:25:37 am »

In their present iteration, all of the PK modules will only work if a pixel-bearing layer is targeted at the time of selection. It does not have to the BG layer, just not an adjustment layer. I assume PixelGenius will fix this.

Re print centering, I can't say why this used to work with Windows. It never did on the Mac. Epson's drivers specify non-uniform page margins in all of the stock page sizes. (Bigger margin at the bottom.) But to solve, all you have to do is set up custom pages with equal margins all the way around. Once done, just select the custom page and the print will center perfectly.

Paul, does this comment apply to PK Sharpener? I know the Background Layer needs to "exist" and be switched on for PK Sharpener to work in CS2, but as you say it does not need to be "selected" in CS2.

Have you made any progress on the print-cenetering problem using CS3 with the Epson driver? That is a matter of serious concern and unless there is an easy work-around would deter me from installing my copy of CS3 until it is resolved. It defies belief how Adobe could release software with this kind of defect. I wonder whether anything else is going on in your system that may be causing it - say something knocked by the install, (which as we've read has not been a smooth sail for many folks)?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Best,
Pat

mcanyes

• www.dig-arts.biz
What to do with CS2?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:27:17 am »

On the subject of centering prints:

Printing to an Epson R1800 from a PC and CS3. I discovered that I could not center a 5x7 on an 8.5 x11. I looked a little harder and discovered I had checked borderless on the main page of Printing Preferences. When I unchecked borderless the 5x7 was centered on the 8.5x11.

Hope this helps.
Michael Canyes

paulbk

What to do with CS2?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 05:39:32 pm »

re: PK Sharpener
I run most PK tools from an action. I just added an entry before the call to PK that selects the background layer. Works fine. My guess, PixelGenious wil fix this next time around. Sad but true, I can not live without PK tools... saves time by the buckets.

re: Borderless = Centered Print.. not
Deselecting borderless in CS3 does not work on the Epson 4000. What works is printing from CS2, select center printable area in the Epson driver and select center print in the CS2 print dialog.

You'd think centering an image of KNOWN size on a print page of KNOWN size is not beyond Adobe engineers. Let's get with it PEOPLE!

Thus far, I have no need for CS3's claimed magic. And less need for its short comings. (being charitable)

p
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 05:45:56 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

mcanyes

• www.dig-arts.biz
What to do with CS2?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 07:04:23 pm »

Sorry that did not work for you. It is beginning to sound like an Epson 4000 driver problem. This is probably obvious, but have you checked to see if you are running the current version of the driver?
Michael Canyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up