Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guatemala  (Read 2428 times)

davidhenneman

Guatemala
« on: April 28, 2007, 01:14:02 pm »

I'm going to Guatemala late june-late july for my first time.  My main camera is a Canon 20d with various lenses from 10-22 up to 400 f/5.6L.
I'm leaning against taking my slr out of fear of it getting stolen. If I DID take the slr, I would only take the 17-85 IS lens as I want to travel light.

I just bought a Canon G7 for this trip but the jerks at Butterfly photo sent me a gray market version after having advertised a USA version. SO, I'll be sending it back to them and re evaluating what gear to take.

Do you think its unwise to take the larger slr camera?
Any wisdom about etiquette for picture taking in Guatemala?
Any other reflections and experience of your photography in Guate would be appreciated.
Thanks
David

camilla

Guatemala
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 01:19:50 pm »

Hi
I don't know where you will be traveling to in Guatemala and what type of trip you have planned---- alone, with a group etc. Safety depends on so many situations in Guatemala. I also don;t know how serious you are about photography. You can do a lot with the G7.

Antigua is probably the safest- even though you need to keep your eyes out- will you be photographing with a tripod? That also makes a difference.
Chichicatenango is superb- the church, the marketplace, the colors...

At Atlitlan I would be more careful. The interior of the country as well. For Tikal and the ruins it's safer as there are more tourists around.

Guatemala is an amazing country with fantastic photographic opportunities. You have to organize yourself so as not to be in a vulnerable situation.
I am planning another trip there next year and will actually hire a "bodyguard" as I will be traveling with two cameras and several lenses...
Lots of luck and most of all, enjoy!
camilla
Pages: [1]   Go Up