Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jpeg workflow  (Read 1843 times)

frankiegee

jpeg workflow
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:44:13 am »

Good Morning to All:
I've never done a jpeg workflow (except to save for web); I did a friend a favor and want to create a cd of the photos taken. A couple of questions: I read that jpegs degrade each time you open and close them. Is this true, even when being viewed off the cd? Since these jpegs aren't for the web but for personal viewing/printing?, after processing, i'm going to 8 bit mode, converting to srgb and using Save As. Now, my settings are 1440x960 pixels, 6x4 WxH and 240 resolution and the file is 4 MB. I'm not a novice in post processing; in other words I've learned over and over that I need to learn. And not being a novice, I'll assume this may not be the best workflow. May I have some input, corrections and/or suggestions? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

francois

jpeg workflow
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:52:44 am »

...I read that jpegs degrade each time you open and close them. Is this true, even when being viewed off the cd?...
No, this is not true!
JPEGs will be degraded - more or less - if you open them and resave them. Files on CD-R cannot be altered.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:59:36 am by francois »
Francois

frankiegee

jpeg workflow
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 09:17:13 am »

Francois,
Thank you for your quick reply. Any comments on the workflow? Thanks again.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
jpeg workflow
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 10:04:09 am »

Once you've resized, you do your final output sharpening?

frankiegee

jpeg workflow
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 01:00:41 pm »

Tim,
Thanks for the response. I did my sharpening after resizing but I sometimes find (in these shots because of noise) I add a guassian blur then use the history brush to bring back certain features.  Is this OK to do? Am I doing OK with the resizing? Can someone with an average size monitor view these output dimensions or will they be too large? Thank you again for your input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up