Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiles corrupt?  (Read 2309 times)

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
Profiles corrupt?
« on: April 28, 2007, 04:32:13 am »

Can a imbedded profile become corrupt? I'm going nuts here trying to print from files scanned from a Coolscan. I can print fine from digital camera capture, but my scanned images are so weird it's like a blocked printerhead or something. I keep assigning Adobe 1998 and re-saving, the images look great on screen, but when I soft proof or print, it's horrible. Blacks fill up, blues go grey, greens fade, yellows take on green, everything to dark.

Kevin.

sep

Profiles corrupt?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 01:14:48 pm »

I'm going insane trying to deal with this same problem!  My prints from images from my dSLR match those on the screen of my Intel iMac pretty well, but those from Coolscan-scanned slides are horrible in spite of the on-screen images being almost as good as the slides themselves.

If you (or anyone reading this) finds an answer elsewhere, could you please please please reply to me here and let me know what it is and/or direct me to the answer?

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Profiles corrupt?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:17:33 pm »

Are you applying the scanner's color profile twice?

francois

Profiles corrupt?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 03:23:06 pm »

I keep assigning Adobe 1998 and re-saving, the images look great on screen, but when I soft proof or print, it's horrible. ...
Instead of re-saving, have you tried to Save as...  or select your entire image in PS, copy, open a new document and paste your image. This you should be confident that your original embedded profile (corrupted or not) is not used.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:24:48 pm by francois »
Francois

sep

Profiles corrupt?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 11:33:30 am »

"I'm going nuts here trying to print from files scanned from a Coolscan. I can print fine from digital camera capture, but my scanned images are so weird it's like a blocked printerhead or something."

I tried Vuescan last night, and it seriously saved my sanity.  My prints still aren't *perfect*, but, it's now a question of minor tweaks, not "OMG, my beautiful slide has been transformed into hideous CRAP!"  There's something weird going on with the Nikon Scan software, I believe.  I don't think it picks up on the color profiles at all (my previous attempts to change settings with the Nikon software and the printer software all yeilded pretty much the *same* ugly, dark print.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up