Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keywording Child > Parent Problem  (Read 3581 times)

Jamouneau3

Keywording Child > Parent Problem
« on: April 28, 2007, 12:20:27 am »

Help!  Yesterday I could create child keywords that worked under their parent/parents but today that is not working.  

Now, any child keyword that we create acts just like a "parent" keyword even though it shows up in the "Keyword Tag Panel" indented under the supposed parent.  Have tried every way of creating a "child" that we could find.

Images tagged with the new child keyword just show the "child" in their keywords list and not "child > parent."  Also, the count of images tagged by the "child" is not added to the count of the "parent."

Child keywords created yesterday work as expected.  Images tagged with them show "child > parent" in their keyword list.  The count of "child" tagged images is added to the total under the "parent" keyword.

No changes were made to Lightroom install or my system (PC) and so far as I know the process used today to create a child keyword is the same as used yesterday.

Hope this is enough information for someone to figure out what I am doing wrong. Being able to "nest" the keywords is well, key to our attempt at using a "controlled vocabulary" keywording systems.

tia

Jamouneau3

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 12:47:48 pm »

An update on my "child > parent" keyword issue.  The key word is inconsistent!

Now child keywords that I create are adding tagged images to their parent totals.  They still just show "child" in the applied keywords panel instead of "child > parent," but the implied parent panel now shows the "parent."  Searching on the parent keyword now brings up child images as expected.

A real puzzler as the steps used today to create and tag with child keywords are identical to those used yesterday and the day before, all with different results.  This prompts several questions:

1.  Does the "child > parent" listing in the applied keywords panel have some function beyond indicating that the keyword is a child? There is the convenience of knowing it is a child with the implied parent panel minimized but, will having just the "child" listed instead of "child > parent" reduce search functionality?  Right now the search results I get from both child keywords I created several days ago showing "child > parent" and the recent ones showing only "child" appear to be identical.

2.  Is this an indication of an unstable database?  

3.  Has anyone else had "child" keyword issues?

Thanks for any suggestions/explanations.

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 02:28:08 pm »

Now child keywords that I create are adding tagged images to their parent totals. They still just show "child" in the applied keywords panel instead of "child > parent," but the implied parent panel now shows the "parent." Searching on the parent keyword now brings up child images as expected.
That is exactly how it is supposed to work. LR will not show the parent in the "Keywording" box (on the right) unless the child appears elsewhere in your overall list of keywords (the "Keyword Tags" list on the left). If you want the parent to show up in the keywording panel itself as well, add the parent keyword separately. i.e. "Child > Parent, Parent" sans quotes.

When exporting LR will include all parents by default, even though you do not add them in the keyword panel.

Jamouneau3

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 03:47:34 pm »

That is exactly how it is supposed to work. LR will not show the parent in the "Keywording" box (on the right) unless the child appears elsewhere in your overall list of keywords (the "Keyword Tags" list on the left). If you want the parent to show up in the keywording panel itself as well, add the parent keyword separately. i.e. "Child > Parent, Parent" sans quotes.

When exporting LR will include all parents by default, even though you do not add them in the keyword panel.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Daniel,

I definitely fit that "beginner" tag.  Still not sure why the count feature wasn't working yesterday.  It wasn't intuitive to me that the ">" in the applied keywords meant that there was a tag identical to the child one elsewhere in the list.  This sure explain all the self-confusion I generated by cleaning up my keyword listings.

Craig

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 12:04:28 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Goodlistener

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 12:10:54 pm »

the documentation for LR is good, but not complete.  This hread just now save me A LLOT of trouble. Onne follow on question.  I have parent/child relationship set up for keywords. For instance "Creature" is the parent of Dog, Cat and Bird.

In Grid view, the left Keyword panel shows a lot of pictures tagged with "Dog" or "Cat" but none are tagged witth "Creature".  So of course, when I click in the left panel on "Creature" it says no photos found.  Which is wrong, there are a lot of dogs, cats and bird photos, all of them tagged with the parent/chld relationship.  The keywords show up in the Right panel as Dog > Creatures

So, how come I don't see a large # of photos tagged as Creature and can bring them all upp at once?

I think this is too hard, the software engineers could improve it.

seanmcfoto

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 11:17:25 pm »

If you click on Creature and see nothing in the Left Panel, I suspect you have 'Include Photos From Subitems" turned off in the Library Menu in the Library Module.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

Goodlistener

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 05:21:23 pm »

Thanks Sean.  That did the trick just perfect.  Of course I didn't know that settting was there.  Until you get me on the one true path that is.  Thanks.

seanmcfoto

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 11:10:46 pm »

No worries, there's more than one option in the menus we miss all the time. It's always great learning new stuff!
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea
Pages: [1]   Go Up