Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first wide formatt printer? 3100?  (Read 13200 times)

Haraldo

• Phoozl - photo games & more
My first wide formatt printer? 3100?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 04:08:12 pm »

Quote from: One Frame at a Time,May 4 2007, 11:15 AM
....As an aside, HP has altered thier rebate promotion on the z3100 to include 13inch format printers for the $1,000 rebate and the $500 paper deal. Not too shabby. If it was not 140 pounds I probably would have bought one. The paper profiling really apeals to me.

Don't forget, you're comparing large-format to desktop printers. The Z3100 stands on legs. Not sure what difference its weight makes once you set it up; you're not going to be lifting it! By contrast, the EP 3800 is a desktop printer. Whole different ballgame.

Good luck with your choice.

Harald Johnson
Haraldo
aka Harald Johnson [url=http://w

Avalan

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 01:44:48 pm »

{ 3100 : at 143 pounds the thing is a beast. The canon at 100 pounds is no lightweight either.....I knew that they were big but did not really understand how big (always read the fine print!).
That leads me to the Epson 3800. At 40 pounds it is way more managble in my home environment, even though I do have room for the others. I have concerns about prolonged lack of use. Epson has no wake-up feature that would cycle the heads. They rely on an airtight seal and seem to place all their faith in that solution. Time will tell I guess. During long trips I can move the unit into our cool basement. Maybe I could connect the printer to a timer that will power up the printer (not turn it on) and it will cycle and go off again? (If anyone knows if this is plausable please post). Not possible for me to move the others easily.

Paul  

A - For both 3800 or 5000 the recommendation is to leave them on and don't turn it off when not in use . This will do an automatic nozzle check and use a small amount of ink to make sure the heads are not clogged. If you want to turn it off when not in use , check this practice with HP or Canon . I doubt they will say ok  to this .
3800 needs to be turned off when not in use .

B - RE moving your printer to the basement :
Is it really needed ? As long as the printer room has a normal temperature and humidity with no direct sun on the printer , it should be all right . What are the benefits of moving it to the basement?  You can save your back and your time  with not moving the printer at all .

But if you have some reason to move the printer:  3100 comes with its own movable stand .  For 5000 you can get the optional stand/cabinet which is movable . So they are both movable as long as you want to move them in the  same floor .  Moving to another floor is another story .

All the best
Avalan

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 11:01:16 am »

{
B - RE moving your printer to the basement :
Is it really needed ? As long as the printer room has a normal temperature and humidity with no direct sun on the printer , it should be all right . What are the benefits of moving it to the basement?  You can save your back and your time  with not moving the printer at all .

But if you have some reason to move the printer:  3100 comes with its own movable stand .  For 5000 you can get the optional stand/cabinet which is movable . So they are both movable as long as you want to move them in the  same floor .  Moving to another floor is another story .

All the best
Avalan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115841\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Avalan,

I have a two level passive solar home.  My office and work space are on the 2nd floor. If we go away in the summer, it gets VERY warm upstairs.  Even leaving the printers (3100 or 5000) on, I am not sure they will like that environment.  The 3800 I could move into the basement which has more humidity and is about 62 degrees in the summer....  If anyone has some feedback on my thoughts please chime in.

Thanks,

Paul

Avalan

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2007, 01:21:29 pm »

Paul

moving either 3800 or 5000 to the basement , needs 2 people . definitely easier for 3800 since it is much lighter, but still better to move it with someone helping  , to save your back and also for the safety.

Have got another news for you : More printers  !!

Today was checking 5000 wiki and found that Canon is introducing 2 other 12 ink printers with color calibration tools added . Check the links .  they will be available this summer in Australia (and probably about the same time in the US).

It will take some time to see reviews and comparisons.  They are more advanced than existing Canons . The question is how they perform compare to Z series and also how long you want to wait for its availability .   Definitely worth to check it out . Here the links  :

http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/542396

http://www.wideformatonline.com/content/view/243/39/

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 03:48:50 am »

2 - You can frame any print without the glass. specially when you want to have the pleasure of seeing the picture without annoyance of reflection of the glass.  The draw back is longevity . not having a glass will let the picture to be exposed to all air born gases and heat and will reduce the life time of the print big time .  Still you can use protective sprays to give a better protection , if not using glassed frames . there are lots of different protective sprays in the market. some are water based with no effect on the original appearance of the picture.

Regards - Avalan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do people here think of non-reflecting glass? I've had a few of my photos framed using it and the results seem very good. Of course, it may just be that my prints are so lacking in detail that losing a bit more behind the glass doesn't matter...

Just curious.

Jeremy

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 09:12:54 am »

What do people here think of non-reflecting glass?

The only non-reflecting glass that I will use is the TruVue Museum Glass. It is very expensive, but incredibly good. Absolutely no loss of detail since the glass gets its anti-reflection qualities from coatings like those used in camera lenses.

My two cents worth, but you should check it out at your local frame shop.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

domsemaca

• http://
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 01:59:29 am »

So can anyone please dispel my confusion about the $1000 rebate until july for purchasing a 24 inch Z3100.
I understand this is handled by a third party outfit besides HP.
The initial price for the Z3100 24 inch is $4095.
I already own an older 13 inch printer.
So i should be eligible for the cash back right?
Did anyone here got their check in the mail already?
I saved for few years to buy a good printer and i am pretty excited about this new model.
Thanks.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 09:11:02 am »

So can anyone please dispel my confusion about the $1000 rebate until july for purchasing a 24 inch Z3100.
I already own an older 13 inch printer.
So i should be eligible for the cash back right?
Did anyone here got their check in the mail already?

Looks like you're eligible for the rebate. A lot of us have already received $1000 checks and free paper.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 11:51:14 am »

Avalan,

Thanks for the reply.  I was thinking newer would be better, but sounds like there are some very unhappy owners of the 5000 and the 3100 has a problems with reds??  Not sure if that is still the case for the 3100 but I am reading lots of flaming on the canon service response (or lack thereof).  The Epson 3800 is older and I thought that it is prone to clogging in situations when it is used almost daily.  In my situation I thought that was going to be a real problem.  Some time ago the Desk Jet 130 was recommended to me but the new printers were on the horizon.... 

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't call a the reds a problem. It's not a mechanical thing, nor a fault. In the upper reds the Canon is the best. In saturated dark reds the Epson is much better than both Canon and HP on photo rag media.
Yet the same peopel screaming foul about the reds are not looking for anything positive anywhere. Fact is the greens on the HP walk away from the others, and not just in synthetic analysis in gamut plots. Real images, real greens. The reds are pretty darn good too on my real images here.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 11:56:24 am »

I have specific concerns:  I print on Matte Paper to frame behind glass.  Its not too $$ at 13 inch and the dyes need protection.  With really large prints I wonder if the glass and mat get too expensive??  I am thinking I will wind up printing on Glossy more often to save on framing and since the longevity is so much better?  Secondly, I travel a good deal and the printer could be idle for 3 or 4 months at a time.  (I could keep it in my basement that is cool at around 60 degrees F.)  Your thoughts and feedback are much appreciated.

Best,

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114580\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The HP has about double the lightfastness on bare bulb testing than both other pigment printers. Okay Epson have one paper, just one that is closer but most others no.
This translates to, (Henry is going to kill me for saying this) the HP having a substantially better non glass mounted print than the others. IF you read between the lines WIR reports you'll get a feel for the extreme stability of the HP pigments , which is a huge advantage for non glass mounted prints. Matte and Canvas look great on the HP especially mounted bare.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up