Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0  (Read 7816 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:07:50 pm »

I just installed CS3, and was surprised when I opened a P45 file from Bridge it opened in the raw converter.  At first I thought it was just the imbedded preview, but it isn't.

Did I miss the memo?  Did Adobe reverse engineer Phases format or did Phase finally decided to play nicely with Adobe?

I do not like CaptureOne as a workflow option, so I'm curious if anyone else knows how well RAW 4.0 is with these files?

Jack Varney

• http://
P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:22:43 pm »

Actually CS2 and bridge will  open P45 files in Camera Raw 3.7. I have tested several files and all have opened satisfactoraly and were processed in Camera Raw and opened in CS2 9.0.2.

I don't use Camera Raw for my P45 files (I prefer Capture One) but it does work for me.
Jack Varney

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 05:58:08 pm »

I have the P-45, waiting for the Plus to arrive.
I much prefer using Lightroom to open and process all of my P-45 images before taking into CS2/3.

Lightrooms toolset and ability to get the images "the way I saw it" is dramaticallly easier for me than Capture One.

Personal taste, but if you have not tried Lightroom I would encourage you to.

Jack

ternst

P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 07:02:05 pm »

I've been using Bridge/PS10 to open P-45 files too ever since I got my back - can't stand C1 (and dislike Lightroom too). I've had a bit of a problem with the previews in Bridge though. When I use the original Bridge (I've had a bug in Bridge 2 so don't use it much) all of the P-45 previews are shown as though they had "auto" everything applied - i.e. they all look the same exposure-wise. When I use Bridge 2/PS10 the previews look like they should. Everything has worked fine with ACR no matter what the preview showed. I'm getting the real version of PS10 tomorrow so won't have to mess with Bridge 1 any longer...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

godtfred

P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:26:02 pm »

I just installed CS3, and was surprised when I opened a P45 file from Bridge it opened in the raw converter.  At first I thought it was just the imbedded preview, but it isn't.

Did I miss the memo?  Did Adobe reverse engineer Phases format or did Phase finally decided to play nicely with Adobe?

I do not like CaptureOne as a workflow option, so I'm curious if anyone else knows how well RAW 4.0 is with these files?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not sure about this, but I think I read somewhere that the technology used in lightroom was transferred to ACR in the version just previous of ACR 4.0. This was to make adjustments and adjustment possibilities syncronised between lightroom and ACR.

The possibility to process phase files maybe came along with this use of lightroom tech in the latest ACR version.
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:49:10 pm »

I just installed CS3, and was surprised when I opened a P45 file from Bridge it opened in the raw converter.  At first I thought it was just the imbedded preview, but it isn't.

Did I miss the memo?  Did Adobe reverse engineer Phases format or did Phase finally decided to play nicely with Adobe?

i have been using Lightroom (with camera raw) for my P30 files for months now....works great....check the LR forum for more....

narikin

P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 05:20:54 pm »

actually it was supported in the last ACR. been that way for maybe 6 months now. Apparently Thomas Knoll put it in there for Michael at his behest. I tried it, and found it lacking in many respects. it works, but it ain't great.

Not clear why you don't like C1. it is a dated workflow, but - it sure works...

Greg Barnett

P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 05:53:03 pm »

The Phase support in LR/ACR is currently considered "preliminary" meaning that they are still working on it. I would expect to see some further improvement by the time they make it official.

Jann Lipka

• http://www.lipka.se
P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 01:25:04 am »

actually it was supported in the last ACR. been that way for maybe 6 months now. Apparently Thomas Knoll put it in there for Michael at his behest. I tried it, and found it lacking in many respects. it works, but it ain't great.

Not clear why you don't like C1. it is a dated workflow, but - it sure works...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Narikin , in what respect do you think ACR 4 ( CS3 ) is bad ?
Do you have some image to show that looks better in C1 then in Acr ?
A friend of mine - P 45 shooter bought Lightroom just for " more nice tone transition in ACR compared to C1 "
According to his stock agency his images were much improved after LR switch .

Khun_K

P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 02:15:32 pm »

Narikin , in what respect do you think ACR 4 ( CS3 ) is bad ?
Do you have some image to show that looks better in C1 then in Acr ?
A friend of mine - P 45 shooter bought Lightroom just for " more nice tone transition in ACR compared to C1 "
According to his stock agency his images were much improved after LR switch .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Khun_K

P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 02:24:31 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am also preferred to use Capture One. In thethered shooting, a raw image captued to cmputer without exposre adjustment when opened in CS3 will need about +1.25-1.3 EV to reach similar luminous on Capture One, even adjsut the color temperature and tine to match Capture One, the skin tone developed on CS3 appeared pink and blue, not the really nice skin tone you can get from capture one.  The CS3 develpped P45 file is somewhat better than CS2 but still not as pleasant as Capture One.

DocLock

P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 09:46:09 pm »

I like Capture One as well, but am sorry to see that the p45+ does not work in Camera Raw 4 or in Lightroom.  I think the loss of Lightroom or Bridge CS3 is a negative for downloading files to multiple drives in addition to the inability to use them for RAW development.  I hope they support for the phase one + backs in the future.  I am not sure what changed between the P backs and the P+ back files, but only the preview is loaded.

CliffSamys

• http://samys.com
P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 11:46:55 pm »

I am not sure what changed between the P backs and the P+ back files, but only the preview is loaded.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you shooting tethered? If so, try importing from CF card.
Cliff
Samy's Camera, Pro Digital Mana

DocLock

P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 05:36:16 pm »

Are you shooting tethered? If so, try importing from CF card.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115922\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am using a CF card and have tried direct import from the card as well as downloading the card to the hard drive and then importing the files from there.

In Bridge CS3...
..P45 file identified as a Camera Raw Image in meta data and 7240x5433.  If you open it it opens to Camera Raw.
..P45+ file identified as a TIFF image, although file sizes are noted at mid 30MB to high 40MB depending on file, the size is listed as 300x220 dpi and that is all that opens.  Camera Raw never acitvates as it never sees anything but the preview.

In Lightroom..
..P45 EXIF says 7240X5433dpi and opens via the RAW converter
..P45+ EXIF says 300X220 dpi and that is all that opens.  It does appear that it will save the entire file at another selected place, and that can still be opened with Capture one.

In PS CS3, same thing... P45 raw opens via camera raw 4.0, while p45+ raw just opens as a 300 x220 dpi file in PS.

DocLock

P45 and CS3/RAW 4.0
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 06:13:07 pm »

In Lightroom..
..P45+ EXIF says 300X220 dpi and that is all that opens.  It does appear that it will save the entire file at another selected place, and that can still be opened with Capture one.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Caution:  The statement about coping the entire file, even though it will not read, it appears to only be true if you try to copy and import form raw files on your hard drive.  If working straight from the CF, it only copies the preview to the file on the hard drive, so as was reported earlier with the P45 you could think you have your data off the CF and be in for a bad surpirse.

For some reason, this is not the case when I import from bridge.. still only recognizes the preview file, but does copy the full file to the hard drive from the CF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up