Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Release-Installation Nightmare!  (Read 58433 times)

paulbk

CS3 Release-Installation Nightmare!
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2007, 06:48:25 pm »

re: Win XP Pro, Epson 4000, driver v5.52, letter size paper

Save paper, turn on [Print Preview] in the Epson driver. The preview is not color managed (really bad), but it shows you the true location of the image with respect to the paper. And, you can turn on [Printable Area] to see outline of printable area as defined by the Epson driver. Cancel print to get out without actually printing.

Do this and you will see that CS3 will center image in printable area in Portrait mode. NOT LANDSCAPE. CS2 handles this just fine.

CS3 has print problems. The most bazaar is building a SINGLE print routine for an unproven operating system while abandoning a print routine that works on the most successful operating system in the world. People talk about "slamming margins" as if that's a bad thing. There is nothing being "slammed." Software does not care a wit about poetic descriptions. What works is a 'good thing' by definition.. all software is a kludge somewhere.

XP has had it’s problems. Yes. But trust me, global multi-nationals are in no rush to VISTA. For obvious reasons.

ps: You can not Maximize margins in this driver when using art papers. Only works with "plain paper". Don't believe me, you can try it or read it in Epson user docs. No worky with art paper.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:58:02 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2007, 07:23:42 pm »

re: Win XP Pro, Epson 4000, driver v5.52, letter size paper

Save paper, turn on [Print Preview] in the Epson driver. The preview is not color managed (really bad), but it shows you the true location of the image with respect to the paper. And, you can turn on [Printable Area] to see outline of printable area as defined by the Epson driver. Cancel print to get out without actually printing.

Do this and you will see that CS3 will center image in printable area in Portrait mode. NOT LANDSCAPE. CS2 handles this just fine.

CS3 has print problems. The most bazaar is building a SINGLE print routine for an unproven operating system while abandoning a print routine that worked on the most successful operating system in the world. People talk about "slaming margins" as if that's a bad thing. What works is a 'good thing' by definition.. kludge or not.

XP has had it’s problems. Yes. But trust me, global multi-nationals are in no rush to VISTA. For obvious reasons.

ps: You can not Maximize margins in this driver when using art papers. Only works with "plain paper". Don't believe me, you can try it or read it in Epson user docs. No worky with art paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul, as long as Photoshop is colour-managed with Soft Proofing enabled I'm not sure why we need the Epson Preview to be color-managed - we can't edit images in the Preview. It does show placement and margin sizes, which is all that is needed from it.

The remainder of the behaviour you are describing is not quite the same for driver 5.51 used in a 4800. For example, Maximize is available for the matte papers, and as long as it is selected, CS3 will center the image in both Portrait and Landscape mode, but it must be verified image by image and set through the Page Set-Up route in the Photoshop Print dialogue to work properly.

So it is clear that to get a new concept of Printer Management centering prints in a manner that is not only cross-O/S, but also cross Epson driver-version. several variants of Print Module algorithms would need to be developed - say a set of user-selectable sub-moodules. To do this, these firms would need to cooperate on who does what to make it all  coherent and properly operational. and that needs a coordinator.

It is indeed interesting that Dell found it commercially important to start re-equipping new computers with Windows XP. Not clear to me whether this is just  consumer wariness about anything new coming out of Microsoft, or because of poor operating experience/bugs with Vista.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

paulbk

« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2007, 07:33:47 pm »

The world has a *huge* investment in XP compatible software. Over time we’ve learned how to make it work, AND have done an enormous amount of work using XP. Do a few googles and read about the swamp that is VISTA. I work for a high tech multi-national, offices around the planet. Our IT people say the best VISTA tip they know is “Don’t Upgrade” ......................... yet.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2007, 07:42:01 pm »

address this same fix in updates to current drivers for both XP, Vista _AND_ OS X...

There's only so much an application can and should do and in both this issue and the default printer issue, I honestly feel that Photoshop is doing the correct and only legit thing...following the API's of the OS. I also think it would HELP Adobe if we, as users DID complain to the correct people-Apple, MSFT & Epson. Of the 3, the most likely to listen would be Epson.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can understand the centering issue being caused by a change in Vista's API.  But I don't see how letting Photoshop remember a printer would violate any APIs.  In fact, Dave the engineer mentioned only that they were "transitioning" from "per session settings" to "per document settings" -- nothing about any requirements in Vista.

Why?

In my world, most people don't have a dedicated Photoshop computer with a default Photo printer.  They have one computer with a "Default" printer and a "Photo" printer.  The  "Default" printer is used for letters, recipes, online receipts -- because you don't want to use the $1/ML photo ink for that stuff.

We use the "Photo" printer with -- Photoshop!  It sure would be nice if Photoshop could remember that (like it used to).  Instead, with CS3,  I have to redo the printer settings:  Every.  Single.  Time.

As an Adobe customer and user, who do I complain to about this?  Do I call Epson and tell them that Photoshop now won't remember my printer?  Do I call Microsoft?
I'm sorry, Jeff, but I'm putting this one on Adobe.  

What frustrates me the most is that Adobe made fundamental changes to the printing behavior of Photoshop CS3.  They had to know that it would break the printing workflow of a large number of  passionate users.  But they said nothing about it, leaving us to bang our heads against the wall trying to figure out what going on.

I'm frustrated and disappointed.

Rick

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2007, 08:03:59 pm »

There seems to be an issue using MSFT's Intellamouse 6.1 driver that is causing all sorts of CS3 problems on Win. Rolling back to driver 5.5 (or whatever was before 6) resolves the issue. Adobe & MSFT are aware and working in it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Thank you, thank you, so much for that post Jeff. Uninstalled the wretched little rodent and my computer works sooooo much better. Most expensive mouse I've ever bought at £80/$160 [welcome to Rip Off Britain] and apparently the worst. And now it's going back to shop. Only reason I bought it, was because it was the least worst ergonomically. You try buying a big left handed mouse. Not easy.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2007, 08:10:31 pm »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Thank you, thank you, so much for that post Jeff. Uninstalled the wretched little rodent and my computer works sooooo much better. Most expensive mouse I've ever bought at £80/$160 [welcome to Rip Off Britain] and apparently the worst. And now it's going back to shop. Only reason I bought it, was because it was the least worst ergonomically. You try buying a big left handed mouse. Not easy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using a Kensington Optical Track Ball. It is ambidextrous and just a wonderful, smooth, easily controllable device just using your fingertips.

andyjl

• http://www.bruisedpixels.com, www.brushoflight.com
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2007, 07:54:56 pm »

I may be the only guy on the planet who routinely uses Windows 64 (I mean the XP/64 not Vista--it seems a lot faster to work with large images because it can address more RAM), but I discovered the hard way that the most current version of the Epson drivers for the Epson 4800 NO LONGER SUPPORT the "Maximum" option, which, based on reading through this thread means there is no way to use CS3 to print on an Epson 4800 under Win64.

So, to print centered one has to both only use WinXP not Win64 and CS2.

When I called Epson support they said that the "Maximum" feature had been removed because it was causing too many problems.

If anyone else cares about this and wants specific driver versions please email me at andy@jli.com and I'll provide them.

I *knew* I should stayed with Win2K until WinXP and 64 had stabilized!  

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2007, 08:57:20 pm »

Thanks for informing us that the Maximum option has been discontinued in the latest version of the Epson driver. It means therefore that unless printing with CS2 it is necessary to remain with the penultimate version of the Epson driver, otherwise CS3 will be useless to print with (as long as we want centered prints). As I've mentioned in previous posts, it is now all the more important that the key players - Adobe, Epson and Microsoft collaborate on how this print centering issue will be resolved. As it all comes together in Photoshop, because that is the application from which most of us print, I also still believe it would be sensible for Adobe to take the lead in getting it worked-out.

mattdholmes@yahoo.com

« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2007, 03:02:07 pm »

I have a related question that I think will be much easier to solve.

I too am having problems printing, in this case to an epson R380 with cs3.

In cs2, I let photoshop manage colors, choose my profile, and then when I hit print, the epson printer driver pops up and I am able to disable printer color management.

The problem is that in cs3, the epson driver does not pop up for me, so I am unable to disable printer color management.

Is there any other way for me to disable printer color management?  If I try to do it in another application first, it doesn't seem to remember it when I get into cs3.

I sense that I am missing a button somewhere, but I've gone over it a couple of times already without any breakthroughs.

thanks,
matt

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2007, 03:38:35 pm »

I have a related question that I think will be much easier to solve.

I too am having problems printing, in this case to an epson R380 with cs3.

In cs2, I let photoshop manage colors, choose my profile, and then when I hit print, the epson printer driver pops up and I am able to disable printer color management.

The problem is that in cs3, the epson driver does not pop up for me, so I am unable to disable printer color management.

Is there any other way for me to disable printer color management?  If I try to do it in another application first, it doesn't seem to remember it when I get into cs3.

I sense that I am missing a button somewhere, but I've gone over it a couple of times already without any breakthroughs.

thanks,
matt
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What platform are you on - Windows or Mac? I'm on Windows with an Epson 4800 so what I'm saying here may not be identical with your conditions. Anyhow, FWIW, if Windows (and I'm sure they have similar in Mac) go to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, select the Epson printer, (and assuming the 3800 and 4800 driver layouts are similar to this extent) select Printing Preferences, on the first tab select Advanced, then Select "OFF (No Color Adjustment)". Once this is done in that way (i.e. getting to these driver settings through the Operating System) that setting should be sticky in CS3.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up