Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Release-Installation Nightmare!  (Read 58434 times)

DarkPenguin

CS3 Release-Installation Nightmare!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 10:38:51 pm »

Thanks for the warnings, dude.  Double checked everything before I did the install.

ARD

• http://
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 02:24:22 pm »

I must admit to being disappointed in this thread. 

I posted my initial comment to WARN others of a serious problem that enough folks are experiencing that Adobe support personal freely admit is serious and with no solution at this moment in time.

I was just advising of a real problem!
If you were lucky enough to avoid it, fine. 
But not all escaped without harm.

Disappointed at some of the posts that followed my OP - thought this was a wiser group of folks and a person did not have to spend time defending what they are experiencing!

I spend most of my time shooting and not posting. 
I've just been reminded why.

Jack
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114347\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't be disappointed. This is good advice and I have heard many similar stories. If people got it installed without problems then good, but, it never hurts to know the pitfalls. This is the same as any piece of software, wait until the bugs are ironed out, look at Vista, Dell are now shipping new machines with XP again.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 02:05:57 am »

I was on edge a bit after hearing ugly stories, but followed the instructions on MacFixit.com (which go a little farther than Adobe's) for my MacBook Pro.  It took about 45 minutes for the whole process.  I kept waiting for a hitch in my Beta cleanup/CS3 Web Premium installation, but much to my delight, installation of the whole suite was totally seamless.  I didn't even have to enter a serial number for the update.  

Granted, it is easier to feel this way since I had no complications, but I have no regrets about installing the beta version.  The public beta did have a minor price to pay in having a more complicated uninstall, but I appreciate having much better speed and new features for four months.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 06:23:21 am »

An update:
It is now Thursday morning.  It's been a week and two days since the installation failure.
I've been checking with Adobe every other day on status and they assure me that the problem is at their highest level of attention.

Told that there is still no fix and that "I'm not alone with this problem".

Their last suggestion is that I reformat my Mac hard drive and try a fresh install of all software, starting with CS3.  This is the only way around the problem as of this moment per Adobe.

Nice.  Won't that be fun!

Jack

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 07:54:49 am »

Mark,

I have the Beta residing on my PC, but I generally use CS2. After reading the various horror stories about upgrading, I've decided to wait until you report on exactly what has worked for you, once you bite the bullet and do the upgrade. Whenever you do decide not to wait any longer, I hope you will share details of your experience.

I too have worked professionally with computers and software for close to 50 years, and the gyrations that Adobe has gone through with this public beta make me exceedingly nervous.

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Eric. Well, I had to bite the bullet yesterday because the BETA expired and for Camera Raw 4 alone the up-grade is worthwhile, so I phoned Adobe about the fact that they advise customers to de-activate the Beta license key before installing the commercial release version, however once the Beta expires so does ones access to the de-activation command. They told me not worry about it - just do what I would usually do - uninstall the Beta with Add/Remove Programs, and install CS3 normally. They told me that especially because I am on a Windows O/S I would likely have no problems - most of the issues were on Macs. They assured me if I had an activation issue I could call back and they would give me a code.

So I did what they advised. The uninstall worked successfully. The new install worked successfully. When the activation screen appeared for new CS3 it had pivked-up the serial number of the Beta version, so I simply replaced that with the new serial number for the fresh install. The activation was accepted and the program is up and running. Adobe was right - no problems. When I opened Bridge 3 it picked up the cache in the various image folders just fine. When I opened CS3 it respected my previous desktop settings. (I did not delete these preferences contrary to advice from Jack Flesher - but I may live to regret that - I don't know yet   ) . I've had no difficulty configuring Camera Raw 4 for my preferences and establishing them as a new Camera Raw default which the program is respecting.

All custom shortcuts need to be re-entered manually, because not all the free (unused) keyboard combinations have remained free bewtweem CS2 and CS3.  I have not yet transfered plug-ins and actions. That happens (I hope) today.

Bottom line: SO FAR, SO GOOD.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Kenneth Sky

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 10:09:51 am »

Mark DS
I have a Mac G5(PPC) and an HP B9180. Do you have any information about this configuration being supported by CS 3? I have been holding off purchasing the upgrade and doing all my printing through CS 2 with the HP plug-in.
Thanks
Ken

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 10:24:37 am »

Hi Eric. Well, I had to bite the bullet yesterday because the BETA expired and for Camera Raw 4 alone the up-grade is worthwhile, so I phoned Adobe about the fact that they advise customers to de-activate the Beta license key before installing the commercial release version, however once the Beta expires so does ones access to the de-activation command. They told me not worry about it - just do what I would usually do - uninstall the Beta with Add/Remove Programs, and install CS3 normally. They told me that especially because I am on a Windows O/S I would likely have no problems - most of the issues were on Macs. They assured me if I had an activation issue I could call back and they would give me a code.

So I did what they advised. The uninstall worked successfully. The new install worked successfully. When the activation screen appeared for new CS3 it had pivked-up the serial number of the Beta version, so I simply replaced that with the new serial number for the fresh install. The activation was accepted and the program is up and running. Adobe was right - no problems. When I opened Bridge 3 it picked up the cache in the various image folders just fine. When I opened CS3 it respected my previous desktop settings. (I did not delete these preferences contrary to advice from Jack Flesher - but I may live to regret that - I don't know yet   ) . I've had no difficulty configuring Camera Raw 4 for my preferences and establishing them as a new Camera Raw default which the program is respecting.

All custom shortcuts need to be re-entered manually, because not all the free (unused) keyboard combinations have remained free bewtweem CS2 and CS3.  I have not yet transfered plug-ins and actions. That happens (I hope) today.

Bottom line: SO FAR, SO GOOD.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115486\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the report, Mark. I think I'll uninstall my beta now, but I'll give you another couple of weeks for the dust to settle before I go ahead with CS3. I'll be curious about how smoothly it goes transferring plugins and actions, as I have a ton of both.

I hope it goes smoothly (partly, of course, for my sake    )

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 10:44:03 am »

Mark DS
I have a Mac G5(PPC) and an HP B9180. Do you have any information about this configuration being supported by CS 3? I have been holding off purchasing the upgrade and doing all my printing through CS 2 with the HP plug-in.
Thanks
Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have no information about this at all. I have read (perhaps here, perhaps elsewhere) that some users have had problems with print centering and maintenance of printer settings, but I haven't tried that yet - and I use an Epson 4800 on Windows - so two different animals and no experience with the up-grade on these functions. I've been using Camera Raw 4 for conversion and CS2 for everything else. That will continue until I have CS3 fully outfitted and working the way I like it. The only thought I can contribute is that even if you do buy the Upgrade, uninstall the Beta (BUT NOT USING ADOBE's CleanScript Tool) and install CS3, you will retain a fully functional CS2. This gives you the best of both worlds over the transition period until you are certain that all the features of CS2 you need are fully functional in CS3.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 10:46:07 am »

Thanks for the report, Mark. I think I'll uninstall my beta now, but I'll give you another couple of weeks for the dust to settle before I go ahead with CS3. I'll be curious about how smoothly it goes transferring plugins and actions, as I have a ton of both.

I hope it goes smoothly (partly, of course, for my sake    )

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115510\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric, I expect to know how all this works out within a day or two, and I'll post the experience. Needless to say, I'm hoping for the best too.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 04:14:38 pm »

With some trepidation, based on the above posts, decided to download CS3 (the beta had run out yesterday). I was in the middle of processing a shoot when the beta ran out and I have gotten so used to PS3 that I did not want to go back to PS2. Following the Adobe uninstall directions, it went flawless! I was frankly surprised because I have, in general, really bad computer gremlin experience and had had a fair amount of issues with both CS2 and CS3 beta on this computer. Maybe, for a change because of the above experiences, I actually read and followed instructions for a change or Adobe has tweaked some things in the meantime?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:16:22 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2007, 04:26:32 pm »

Maybe, for a change because of the above experiences, I actually read and followed instructions for a change or Adobe has tweaked some things in the meantime?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115584\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No...nothing has been changed since the original release version of the removal scripts were posted. The trick was you actually read and followed the instructions-which worked. That's the way it's worked for most people...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:26:45 pm by Schewe »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2007, 03:21:46 pm »

Eric, I expect to know how all this works out within a day or two, and I'll post the experience. Needless to say, I'm hoping for the best too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Further to the above quoted message, I am pleased to say that I have now installed my plug-ins, actions and shortcuts, and it is all performing normally. There was a report that PK Sharpener only works when the Background Layer is selected. This is not my experience. It works no matter which Layer is selected.

I have not yet tried printing from CS3. I am anxious to test whether or not the Print with Preview settings are sticky (they should be, but some have reported they are not). I hope to be able to say something about that tomorrow or Monday.

I have experienced a glitch with Bridge CS3. I have about 1800 images sorted by colour label in Bridge CS2. Unfortunately, when the same files are imported to Bridge CS3, that labelling and sorting is not recognized. So rather than do it all over again, I continue working from Bridge CS2. Perhaps there is some preference or setting in Bridge CS3 I don't have correctly specified, or perhaps there are aspects of the folder cache for CS2 that CS3 just doesn't recognize. Any one who can shed light on that - I would appreciate it.

Schewe

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2007, 03:52:55 pm »

I have not yet tried printing from CS3. I am anxious to test whether or not the Print with Preview settings are sticky (they should be, but some have reported they are not). I hope to be able to say something about that tomorrow or Monday.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't think Print Settings have ever been "sticky" since it's actual file metadata that is saved in files. That's why opening an image and changing print dialog settings will make the file "dirty" meaning wanting to get saved...even though the only changes in the file are print settings...

Schewe

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2007, 03:55:47 pm »

I have experienced a glitch with Bridge CS3. I have about 1800 images sorted by colour label in Bridge CS2. Unfortunately, when the same files are imported to Bridge CS3, that labelling and sorting is not recognized. So rather than do it all over again, I continue working from Bridge CS2. Perhaps there is some preference or setting in Bridge CS3 I don't have correctly specified, or perhaps there are aspects of the folder cache for CS2 that CS3 just doesn't recognize. Any one who can shed light on that - I would appreciate it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since Bridge CS3 is an entirely new app, it can't read CS2's built in cache...so, unless you have your Bridge settings to write the cache to the folder when possible, there's no way for Bridge CS3 to pick it up. In Bridge CS2 try exporting the cache to the folder then open in Bridge CS3 and see if that works...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2007, 05:28:43 pm »

Don't think Print Settings have ever been "sticky" since it's actual file metadata that is saved in files. That's why opening an image and changing print dialog settings will make the file "dirty" meaning wanting to get saved...even though the only changes in the file are print settings...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jeff,

Until I see for myself on this system what's happening or not happening, not much point speculating, but just to say that at this moment in time, my previous experience with Print with Preview settings is that they don't change unless I change them regardless of the file. (Stuff like Let Photoshop Determine Colors, the Profile for the paper I'm using, Rendering Intent and BPC - those are the keys). They stick until they are changed, and then they stick again until they are changed the next time. At least this is the behaviour on my computer with CS2. I am given to understand that with CS3 from print to print these very settings revert to an Adobe default, rather than keeping what the user last entered. So what I'm doing next once I fire-up the 4800 is to see whether or not this behaviour really replicates in a Windows XP Pro SP2 environment. As some readers expressed an interest, I'll report back with real results once I've tested it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 06:07:25 pm »

Since Bridge CS3 is an entirely new app, it can't read CS2's built in cache...so, unless you have your Bridge settings to write the cache to the folder when possible, there's no way for Bridge CS3 to pick it up. In Bridge CS2 try exporting the cache to the folder then open in Bridge CS3 and see if that works...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115872\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jeff,

OK, this issue is *largely* resolved. It works - but differently from CS2. Here's the deal: because I am using distributed caching in each image folder Bridge 3 is indeed reading that cache created by Bridge 2 as I open any folder in Bridge 3. HOWEVER, instead of sorting all the labelled images in priority and the non-labelled ones behind, it does the reverse. I wasn't expecting this. So when I opened a folder of 382 images and looked accross the horizontal thumbnail strip at the bottom of the window, which shows 8 images at a time, there were no labels. I didn't think to scroll through to the end - just said to myself Oh My God NO LABELS. Now, based on what you said, I decided I should back-step and trace everything through bit by bit, scroll through the Preferences and the whole image folder, and sure enough all the labelled images are sitting there labelled at the end of the pack. What a relief! I wish I could get them to automatically collect at the beginning of the pack like they did in Bridge 2, but that is a far lesser issue than what I orginally thought I saw happening. They will collect at the front of the line if you select to sort by Label and in Descending Order of file number, but not in Ascending Order, so it appears you can't have a combination of images with file numbers in ascending order with the labelled ones at the front of the line. Now if you know a way of achieving that - other than manually - please let me know. Otherwise, I have to conclude it was better in Bridge 2 for this item.

Rick Popham

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 09:17:25 pm »

I am given to understand that with CS3 from print to print these very settings revert to an Adobe default, rather than keeping what the user last entered. So what I'm doing next once I fire-up the 4800 is to see whether or not this behaviour really replicates in a Windows XP Pro SP2 environment. As some readers expressed an interest, I'll report back with real results once I've tested it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark,

My experience with CS3 is that the color management settings, paper profiles, etc. DO stick.  Settings in the printer driver,  such as paper size/orientation, printing resolution, ICM off, etc. are all lost after you make a print.

These settings would stick in CS2 throughout a printing session -- until Photoshop was closed.  With CS3 I have to reset the printer driver for EVERY print  -- even if I immediately want to make another copy of the file I've just printed.

I'm printing with Epson printers (3800 and R1800), on Windows XP.  I've heard that this is a Windows-only problem, and I'm interested to hear about your experience.

Rick

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2007, 09:39:09 pm »

Mark,

My experience with CS3 is that the color management settings, paper profiles, etc. DO stick.  Settings in the printer driver,  such as paper size/orientation, printing resolution, ICM off, etc. are all lost after you make a print.

These settings would stick in CS2 throughout a printing session -- until Photoshop was closed.  With CS3 I have to reset the printer driver for EVERY print  -- even if I immediately want to make another copy of the file I've just printed.

I'm printing with Epson printers (3800 and R1800), on Windows XP.  I've heard that this is a Windows-only problem, and I'm interested to hear about your experience.

Rick
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115911\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rick, this is indeed VERY strange. One wonders how the Epson driver can be affected by Photoshop - they are separate pieces of software doing different things - well, maybe there's a way. I'm using Windows XP also, but my printer is a 4800. So we'll see how that fares. Perhaps it's a 3800 issue rather than a CS3 issue, but that would also seem strange insofar as the Epson Driver is quite similar from one of these professional models to the next. I know the devil is in the details of these things so I suppose anything is possible. Anyhow, thanks for the heads-up on where the problem is lodged from your experience. For sure, once I print from this program I'll share my findings. The worst that can happen is that I'll go back to printing from CS2 until the issue is fixed.

One thing from a previous post I need to correct - PK Capture Sharpen does not need to begin with the Background Layer selected, but I notice that Output Sharpen does. This is a new phenominon, which I asssume the folks at Pixel Genius will be examining, now that several have remarked on it.

Rick Popham

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2007, 10:25:01 pm »

Rick, this is indeed VERY strange. One wonders how the Epson driver can be affected by Photoshop - they are separate pieces of software doing different things -
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115912\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark,

I should have described the problem more accurately.  After making a print, the printer driver returns to default settings.  In my case, it returns me to my default printer, a monochrome laser.  I then have to reselect the Epson, which has also reverted to default (8.5x11, Premium Luster, High Speed, etc...).

I'll have to try setting one of the Epsons as the default printer, to see what happens.  

Rick

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2007, 11:06:08 pm »

Mark,

I should have described the problem more accurately.  After making a print, the printer driver returns to default settings.  In my case, it returns me to my default printer, a monochrome laser.  I then have to reselect the Epson, which has also reverted to default (8.5x11, Premium Luster, High Speed, etc...).

I'll have to try setting one of the Epsons as the default printer, to see what happens.   

Rick
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115915\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the clarification Rick. It begins to sound like a configuration issue that may be specific to your situation; anyhow, I'll plunge into some printing most likely tomorrow and see what happens. I'm also on WINXP-SP2.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up