Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Release-Installation Nightmare!  (Read 58440 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
CS3 Release-Installation Nightmare!
« on: April 25, 2007, 03:22:54 pm »

Given:
Mac G-5/2.7 dual proc
8GB RAM
6.5 MB drives internal
OS X with all updates

Have full CS2 and was running CS3 Beta.

Tuesday morning I decided to upgrade to the new CS3 full release from Beta version.  

Well, that was a mistake!
I've spent all of yesterday and today trying to get the CS3 installation download to work.  Spent hours on the phone with Adobe and the best they can come up with is that they are having a lot of problems with installs of upgrades from CS2 where CS3 beta had been installed.

They have had me remove ALL Adobe products (Lighroom, CS2, etc.) from my G5 and the install still did not work.

Now I'm trying to rebuild my machine back to the stage it was before I purchased the CS3 upgrade.

In short - if you don't have to have it today, give Adobe time to work out all of the bugs they currently can't resolve.

I'm pissed, and have lost two days of time I should have spent working on images!

Jack

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 03:48:52 pm »

I'm pissed, and have lost two days of time I should have spent working on images!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

While I can appreciate that you are a bit south of pleased, I gotta ask though if you actually wnet about this whole thing the correct way? Being an alpha and beta tester for over 10 years I know that going from a beta to GM version of a software app can be, well, a pain. But Adobe did actually go out of their way to try to warn people that they should de-activate and properly un-install the beta before trying to install the GM. Did you 1) Read and understand the technotes for removing the beta and 2) follow the advice exactly?

The Mac instructions are [a href=\"http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=kb401502]HERE[/url], the Windows instructions for XP are HERE and Vista HERE.

There's even a script for removing the beta...see: CS3Clean Script.

So, did you do all this?

If you did, then I suspect your machine may already have been, uh, a bit screwed up. If you didn't do all this, then you simply didn't do you beta testing homework and I really can't feel too sorry. I suspect you feel "pissed" at yourself (or should) than being pissed at Adobe.

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 04:36:46 pm »

I install it without any problem,,I un-install the beta version in I was done in lets then 30 minutes

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

LA30

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

Very nice post Schewe.  I might guess not.  You know what, I rushed ahead and I didn't un-install the Beta version and I had problems installing the real version of CS3.  I had to do a search for "adobe" and I trashed acrobat, CS2 and the CS3 beta.  After I trashed everything adobe and restarted it installed just fine.  No calls to adobe and it didn't take for ever.  I downloaded acrobat and the flash plugin to be safe and off I went.

Best of luck and I love CS3.

Ken

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 05:27:49 pm »

sounds like a nightmare....i bought CS3 the first day off the web, uninstalled the beta and installed the new software without any problems at all.....
there were several warnings on adobe.com and on several photosites about installing over the beta....

Jae_Moon

• http://
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 05:46:15 pm »

Un-installed CS3 beta and installed CS3 Retail on Mac Pro and MacBook all within an hour. I've read the thread on CS3 beta in this very forum, and followed the steps described in Adobe site.

Only bitching point? $199 for an upgrade.

Jae Moon

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 06:37:41 pm »

While I can appreciate that you are a bit south of pleased, I gotta ask though if you actually wnet about this whole thing the correct way? Being an alpha and beta tester for over 10 years I know that going from a beta to GM version of a software app can be, well, a pain. But Adobe did actually go out of their way to try to warn people that they should de-activate and properly un-install the beta before trying to install the GM. Did you 1) Read and understand the technotes for removing the beta and 2) follow the advice exactly?

The Mac instructions are HERE, the Windows instructions for XP are HERE and Vista HERE.

So, did you do all this?

If you did, then I suspect your machine may already have been, uh, a bit screwed up. If you didn't do all this, then you simply didn't do you beta testing homework and I really can't feel too sorry. I suspect you feel "pissed" at yourself (or should) than being pissed at Adobe.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wish you were right, but, I developed software for 13 years on the Silicon Graphics platform and I've very familiar with the potential problems one can experience when "upgrading" code.  Yes, I followed all of the Beta remove instructions, etc.  And yes, we trashed all of the Adobe programs, rans script, etc. and still got exactly the same error.  Again, I'm not the only one with the problem according to Adobe.

In talking with the CS folks at Adobe, this is a serious problem they are having with NUMEROUS installs.  They currently don't have a fix for it but are working on one.  Thus, my comment of be sure you need the upgrade - better to wait till they have their bugs resolved.

Issue is it installs Bridge, etc. but can't install the PS3 module.  I'm told by Adobe that if it was just PS3 that consistantly didn't install it would be easier to resolve.  But different users have had different modules fail to install and that's adding to the problem for Adobe.

I'll post an update when they get back to me with a fix.
Jack
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:42:46 pm by Lust4Life »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 07:14:06 pm »

But Adobe did actually go out of their way to try to warn people that they should de-activate and properly un-install the beta before trying to install the GM.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeff, with all due respect Adobe has created a monumental screw-up. You have more experience in this business than I do, but I have NEVER EVER seen so much rigmarole and risk surrounding the removal and installation of two pieces of software. With sufficient time, planning and foresight it is unimagineable for people of that intelligence and experience level that they could not have most likely avoided most of the trouble customers are having by anticipating uninstall issues with the Beta before releasing it in the first place. Now they are playing catch-up because they failed to do this, so they've published several documents describing several whole processes. Before we even go there, the fact that all this stuff is needed tells you what I'm saying.

But then when you start reading those documents, the real risk dawns. If normal de-activation and uninstall doesn't work, then you need to either follow a large number of instructions to do it manually, or if you don't fancy that - risk your computer's life using their Clean Script Tool. Did you read Adobe's warning that accompanies their CleanScript Tool? I've just today been looking into the purchase of Acronis True Image 10 to mirror my hard-drive because of the extent of possible damage and back-up Adobe so dutifully warns us about in case we need to use this tool of theirs. (Well, mirroring one's HD is probably a good idea anyhow, but I didn't need Adobe's problems to trigger it for me.)

I'm sorry - beta/shmeta, this is thoroughly unacceptable, and in my case will not be repeated, because they have lost my confidence. I'm waiting another week or two to see how this evolves before I install my CS3 up-grade, but I shall not trust Adobe with Beta software again unless it comes with firm commitments to respect such basic useability as removing it without risk when finished.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 07:28:37 pm »

I'm sorry - beta/shmeta, this is thoroughly unacceptable, and in my case will not be repeated, because they have lost my confidence. I'm waiting another week or two to see how this evolves before I install my CS3 up-grade, but I shall not trust Adobe with Beta software again unless it comes with firm commitments to respect such basic useability as removing it without risk when finished.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"I shall not trust Adobe with Beta software again"

Did you read what you just wrote? You downloaded and installed BETA-FRIGGIN' SOFTWARE, what did you expect? Have you ever beta tested software before?

I gotta tell you that in all my experience beta testing that CS3 was generally the most stable and easy to get rid of betas ever. Understand, I run on a Mac-and in the past they never MADE an un-installer. In the past we had to use either manual or scripted remove proceedures and that failed more often than not. Remember, as an internal tester I was removing betas at a rate that far exceeded the single public beta. I lost track of the total number of internal release build, but the final release build of 1480 tells you how many builds were made internally.

The only thing I think Adobe learned in this whole public preview/beta situation is that most people simply should never get pre-release software.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:55:21 pm »

Hi Jeff - you didn't disappoint me - I knew exactly what was coming. You asked what I expect - as you know, I wasn't born yesterday either and I'll tell you. A company with the smarts of Adobe should know better. It's fine if they do this with a small community of seasoned beta testers who have the stomach and experience to deal with just about anything they will throw at them. When they decide to broadcast it to every Tom, Dick and Harry in the community, where the experience variance is HUGE, they need to anticipate such elementary precautionary issues as how to uninstall the software without risk and provide for it before they invite us to the party. They themselves think what they have produced is risky enough to issue dire warnings to their customers. This kind of thing should not be necessary and it should not happen regardless of whether it is a beta and especially when it is a broad public release. Basic functional safety should be assured in a beta product before they issue it to the general public. With that precaution I don't see any harm making pre-release software available. I certainly learned from it and enjoyed using it - until now!

Kenneth Sky

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 08:12:58 pm »

Well said Mark. The issue is this was a PUBLIC beta. Most of us shmoes took it for granted that the uninstall or upgrade to v. 1.0 would be seemless. We've never beta tested before. We are completely naive about complications in using beta versions. I'm sure Adobe could have delayed the release a few days while they "beta tested" a method of uninstalling the beta version so as not to confuse the average user. BTW, I consider you to be quite sophisticated inthe use of a computer. So if you are having problems, what chance do most of us have?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 08:24:45 pm »

Well said Mark. The issue is this was a PUBLIC beta. Most of us shmoes took it for granted that the uninstall or upgrade to v. 1.0 would be seemless. We've never beta tested before. We are completely naive about complications in using beta versions. I'm sure Adobe could have delayed the release a few days while they "beta tested" a method of uninstalling the beta version so as not to confuse the average user. BTW, I consider you to be quite sophisticated inthe use of a computer. So if you are having problems, what chance do most of us have?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ken, exactly - except I have not myself experienced trouble yet, because after reading quite a bit about other peoples' trouble and seeing what Adobe posted on their website for dealing with it, eventhough I have the box sitting and waiting, I'm going step by step. First I shall purchase Acronis to mirror the HD. Then I'll wait a bit to see how the dust settles. That is the extent of the sophistication I know how to deploy under the circumstances! I can operate my computer and do some basic management with it well enough, but I'm not an O/S guru so I approach such issues with considerable caution and I suspect like many people don't particularly appreciate nasty surprises.

Schewe

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 09:31:10 pm »

A company with the smarts of Adobe should know better. It's fine if they do this with a small community of seasoned beta testers who have the stomach and experience to deal with just about anything they will throw at them. When they decide to broadcast it to every Tom, Dick and Harry in the community, where the experience variance is HUGE, they need to anticipate such elementary precautionary issues as how to uninstall the software without risk and provide for it before they invite us to the party.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114267\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I don't know where you've been hanging out but the Adobe User to User forums have not been lighting up with many, many users having problems installing. Yes, there are some...it's not yet known if there is an real issue.

The biggest problem is that the Adobe Store released the downloads early...before QE got the removal scripts posted and the "Remove the beta warnings" so that on Mon the 16th and Tues the 17th, a lot of people (more on the Mac side than PC because Mac users didn't even know about the uninstaller) either tried to install over the beta of simply tossed it in the trash. That was indeed a rash of installer problems...but that was last week.

I have no idea what the OP's actual problem is...while he claims to have been a software developer, the phraseology is a bit odd...he says he followed the uninstall procedure and the scripts for removal but not until he wrote his followup post.

It's also unclear if he's trying to install Photoshop CS3, CS3 Extended or one of the Suites with CS3 included. He says he gets an error but doesn't say what the error is...

Clearly, he's had a nightmare...which is too bad. Most people have not.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 10:41:39 pm »

I was hanging out where the folks with issues were complaining - was last week. OK, since then Adobe issued some advice and a fix, but they themselves warn me that the cure could be worse than the disease, so I need to buy some vaccine. It would be nice if they could design a *bullet-proof* uninstaller. Anyhow, Jeff , everyone will have to just write this one off to experience and hope that all the appropriate people will have learned from it.

Cheers,

Mark

Carol

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 06:41:26 am »

......... It would be nice if they could design a *bullet-proof* uninstaller.
I don't think there's any such animal out there Mark  

Uninstalling software always carries some risk.

I had the beta on four machines (Windows MCE, XP x64, Vista x32 and Vista x64) and had no problems uninstalling and then running the clean scripts.

I think Adobe's warnings are there for purely legal reasons for users who do not know how to follow fairly simple instructions.  There is probably more risk of getting killed crossing the road - but then again we don't have warnings written on every kerb stone warning that you might be killed in attempting to cross the road  
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 06:43:19 am by Carol »
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:1

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 07:39:52 am »

Carol, OK nothing is perfect - that's why I put it in "*". And I hope you are correct - it would be good. But I'm apprehensive. I started with PS6 some 7 years ago. As I migrated through PS7, CS and CS2 uninstalling previous versions was a non-issue and never accompanied by any warnings from Adobe of the kind we are seeing now (and of course none of those were Beta releases - this is a first to the general public). I also recall seeing advisories some time ago about damage to CS2 program files that can occur from uninstalling Beta CS3. When was the last time a software company advised you to back-up your whole hard-drive in order to safely uninstall an application? They know far more about the workings of the tools they design than we will ever know, so if they're now coming out with such warnings, I must believe it is more than legal *CYA*. But time will tell.

Kenneth Sky

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 09:50:51 am »

Let's put this in perpective. I had no problem transitioning from LightRoom beta to v.1.0. Why should there be so many problems with CS 3? Does it contain a worm or some propietary code that insinuates itself deeper into the software than just the application level?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 09:54:48 am »

Mark,

I have the Beta residing on my PC, but I generally use CS2. After reading the various horror stories about upgrading, I've decided to wait until you report on exactly what has worked for you, once you bite the bullet and do the upgrade. Whenever you do decide not to wait any longer, I hope you will share details of your experience.

I too have worked professionally with computers and software for close to 50 years, and the gyrations that Adobe has gone through with this public beta make me exceedingly nervous.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 09:55:03 am »

Well, I don't know where you've been hanging out but the Adobe User to User forums have not been lighting up with many, many users having problems installing. Yes, there are some...it's not yet known if there is an real issue.

The biggest problem is that the Adobe Store released the downloads early...before QE got the removal scripts posted and the "Remove the beta warnings" so that on Mon the 16th and Tues the 17th, a lot of people (more on the Mac side than PC because Mac users didn't even know about the uninstaller) either tried to install over the beta of simply tossed it in the trash. That was indeed a rash of installer problems...but that was last week.

I have no idea what the OP's actual problem is...while he claims to have been a software developer, the phraseology is a bit odd...he says he followed the uninstall procedure and the scripts for removal but not until he wrote his followup post.

It's also unclear if he's trying to install Photoshop CS3, CS3 Extended or one of the Suites with CS3 included. He says he gets an error but doesn't say what the error is...

Clearly, he's had a nightmare...which is too bad. Most people have not.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114280\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I must admit to being disappointed in this thread.  

I posted my initial comment to WARN others of a serious problem that enough folks are experiencing that Adobe support personal freely admit is serious and with no solution at this moment in time.

I was just advising of a real problem!
If you were lucky enough to avoid it, fine.  
But not all escaped without harm.

Disappointed at some of the posts that followed my OP - thought this was a wiser group of folks and a person did not have to spend time defending what they are experiencing!

I spend most of my time shooting and not posting.  
I've just been reminded why.

Jack

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 10:18:29 am »

Jack, you should not be disappointed. I guarantee you are being heard - I for one am listening closely to as much experience as I can lay my eyes on, and I am dead-certain many others are too. But we must all recognize the fact that this is a public forum which benefits from the participation of many people with tremendously varied skill-sets, perspectives and experience.

Eric - I too have the Beta on my PC. I use it for ACR-4 and then revert to CS2 for the remainder of the processing. I am also waiting a bit. I don't have anywhere NEAR your experience with computers (I started using them in consumer-mode from the mid to late 1970s) so if you are nervous you can see why I would be. I hope Carol is right that Adobe is just being extremely pro-active with CYA, but it is so hard to know except by seeing other peoples' experience. If trouble dies down within a week or so, or if Adobe posts more re-assuring material, after I mirror my C-drive I shall upgrade and I'll share my experience, which I hope will be a non-event!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up