Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APS 1.20  (Read 6659 times)

Panascape

APS 1.20
« on: April 25, 2007, 03:02:30 pm »

HP has given me permission to post information on APS 1.20 on this forum.

I have not tested the issue with the pro satin paper yet but will be getting to this tomorrow.

So far I can report the following;

• Monitor profiling is now as functional as it is in the eyeone software and all the restrictions in the previous version of APS seem to have been removed other than you cannot choose what type of profile it produces (small of large)
• Printer profiling will now allow you to optimise the target for the media width in the same way that the internal profiling does. I can confirm that this will work on 17” media.
• The optimisation works well and the profiling process seems to be a little faster.
• Profiling is still limited to three targets.

I will report back in more detail once I have had more time to test the software.

Robert

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
APS 1.20
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 06:30:02 pm »

I have not tested the issue with the pro satin paper yet but will be getting to this tomorrow.

So far I can report the following;

• Monitor profiling is now as functional as it is in the eyeone software and all the restrictions in the previous version of APS seem to have been removed other than you cannot choose what type of profile it produces (small of large)
• Printer profiling will now allow you to optimise the target for the media width in the same way that the internal profiling does. I can confirm that this will work on 17” media.
• The optimisation works well and the profiling process seems to be a little faster.
• Profiling is still limited to three targets.

I will report back in more detail once I have had more time to test the software.

Robert
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great news, for all who don't need bigger targets, otherwise still a shame.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

rdonson

APS 1.20
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 07:08:11 pm »

Robert

Thanks, Robert!!!  I look forward to your next report.
Regards,
Ron

chris anderson

APS 1.20
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 07:38:19 pm »

will it profile on 13x19?

Charles Gast

APS 1.20
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 10:51:02 pm »

Provantage  http://www.provantage.com/hewlett-packard-...cc~4HEWD0LU.htm
has a z3100PS version on their website. It includes APS. It is only about $100 more than the z3100 I bought a couple of weeks back.
Does this mean that HP is going to offer APS at a reasonable price to users already using a z3100?
Or is it that somethings wrong with Provantages add?

The update is appreciated all the same

marty m

• http://
APS 1.20
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 04:14:13 am »

Robert

(1)  Many thanks to Robert for his great work on this.

(2)  Robert, any word on when vers 1.20 will be available for download by all of us?

(3)  Will it work with 13x19 sheets?  Will it work with 17x22 sheets -- that is, work with the largest patch set?

(4)  Due to the controversy caused by my other thread, I note that HP came out with this revision very quickly.  If you want proof that this forum alters corporate behavior, this is it.

I was the first to identify this problem with a posting in caps that said "DO NOT BUY HP APS."  It was noticed, you all agreed with my conclusions, and this is the result.

A beneficial result for all concerned.

rdonson

APS 1.20
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 12:17:58 pm »

(4)  Due to the controversy caused by my other thread, I note that HP came out with this revision very quickly.  If you want proof that this forum alters corporate behavior, this is it.

I was the first to identify this problem with a posting in caps that said "DO NOT BUY HP APS."  It was noticed, you all agreed with my conclusions, and this is the result.

A beneficial result for all concerned.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marty, I agree with your findings but you're making a giant leap in assuming that HP hadn't heard this from anyone else in the world and is updating the software solely based on your posts.  I doubt a member of the HP board of directors has that much pull.
Regards,
Ron

marty m

APS 1.20
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 12:25:17 pm »

Marty, I agree with your findings but you're making a giant leap in assuming that HP hadn't heard this from anyone else in the world and is updating the software solely based on your posts.  I doubt a member of the HP board of directors has that much pull.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114874\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It is not my intention to claim some personal victory, or that my personal posts made any difference at all.

What made a difference is that others joined in, and there was a chorus of comments and postings.  (There have been no less than three threads on the APS.)

All of those postings agreed that no one should buy the APS until these problems were fixed.

What is my evidence for my assertion that our postings altered the behavior of HP?  Reports from Robert and others that the postings on this site were being monitored by HP, and that the team in Spain is under considerable pressure as a result of those postings.

There is one more bit of evidence.  When HP issued the tech bulletin on the zebra marks, they included an illustration -- and that illustration was directly copied from this forum.

It was not an example or illustration that originated from HP.  It came from one of the posters on this site.

Panascape

APS 1.20
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 02:56:34 pm »

At the time the APS thread was started, HP was already aware of the limitations of APS and were talking to Gretag who supply it to them.

As far as I have been able test, it still does not support multtple sheets which may be a problem with the z3100's formware rather than the APS system.

I will be meeting two HP engineers face to face next week and have a long list of issues to discuss and work through over and above the colour issues.

I do not have any idea when 1.20 will go public but the beta looks very close to a final release.

marty m

APS 1.20
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 07:05:50 am »

I will be meeting two HP engineers face to face next week and have a long list of issues to discuss and work through over and above the colour issues.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
These may already be on your long list of issues, but several suggestions to add to your discussion with the engineers:

(1) The printer now stops printing and cuts off the print when it runs out of ink.  The Epson 4000 (and I believe the 4800 is similar in this regard) don't do so.  The Epson patiently waits for you to load a new cartridge, and then starts printing again without any problems. The Z3100, by contrast, wastes paper, ink, and time when it cuts the print in the middle of the job.

(2)  The last firmware release was only for a selective list of the paper types.  If I recall correctly, it didn't even apply to the generic photo paper.  It needs to apply to all of the generic paper types.  In other words, any color or mixing correction needs to especially apply to the generic fine art and photo types (as well as other generic types) so that we can create custom profiles for other papers, and know that those custom profiles include the latest improvements in color and ink mixing.  The way I read the tech paper on the last firmware release, that is not the case for the current firmware.

(3)  As you know, Pro Satin needs to work with the APS

(4)  Is there anyway that the printer can really go into a silent sleep mode?  Without the fan or hard drive running? That is, when it is powered on so that it does the routine checking of the heads to prevent clogging. That would clearly be on the top of the list of suggestions for many owners based on comments on the forum.  A deep sleep mode might also lengthen the life of the hard drive for anyone who might not use the printer on a daily basis, and might leave it idle for a week or more.  (But if it goes into a total sleep mode, with no fan and no hard drive running, will it still do the periodic maintenance and head check, since that is a great and important feature of the printer.)

(5)  APS profiling -- You stated that APS still won't work with multiple sheets.  That clearly rules out 13x19 for the largest patch set.  Have you tried a single 17x22 sheet?  If the patch set can be reconfigured to match the size of the paper, then the largest target would fit on a single 17x22 sheet.  Is that possible?  That would be really great, so that we can profile paper we buy in sheets and don't have to buy 17" rolls just for profiling.  If not, please offer that suggestion to the engineers.

Thanks very much for your hard work in behalf of all Z3100 owners.  We all owe you a debt of gratitude.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 07:10:54 am by marty m »

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
APS 1.20
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 10:41:02 am »

Could you also get a an answer to the question of the APS being upgraded to generate a  CMYKRGB profile (seven color), rather than being limited to the CMYK (4 Color) profile it creates now?

Thanks for your help.

Marc Sitkin.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

Panascape

APS 1.20
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 01:32:03 pm »

Marc, the z3100 is not an RGB device, does not have RGB components and will never be an RGB device no matter what spin HP's marketing department tries to put on it.

I will not support HP's cliams that the 3100 is a CMYK RGB device as all it is is an extension of Pantones hexachrome system that introduced orange and green into the equation to extend the gamut. The z3100 plays with hues of the colours and has purple added.

At the end of the day the machine is simply a cmyk device with 3 gamut enhancers so unfortunately you will never see APS supporting CMYKRGB as the z3100 is not able to print this.

Robert
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:54:56 pm by Panascape »

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
APS 1.20
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 02:13:47 pm »

Marc, the z3100 is not an RGB device, does not have RGB components and will never be an RGB device no matter what spin HP's marketing department tries to put on it.

I will not support HP's cliams that the 3100 is a CMYK RGB device as all it is is an extension of Pantones hexachrome system that introduced orange and green into the equation to extend the gamut. The z3100 plays with hues of the colours and has purple added.

At the end of the day the machine is simply a cmyk device with 3 gamut enhancers so unfortunately you will never see APS supporting CMYKRGB as the z3100 is not able to print this.

Robert
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, the machine does print as a CMYKRGB device quite well. Patches run via Wasatch Rip and a custom Monaco profile in seven color mode print very nicely. The behavior you describe is perhaps limited to the HP Driver. When going around it, ie via Wasatch SoftRIP, the device behaves as if it is a seven color machine.

Marc Sitkin
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

Panascape

APS 1.20
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 02:35:16 pm »

Yes but if you look at the extra three inks, the printer does not have RGB components. It is simply an extension of hexachrome.

The RIP may do some internal processing to simulate RGB as a result of the devices extended gamut but this is not a inherant featurte of the printer and I would not expect this to be supported by all methods driving the device.

Ernst Dinkla

APS 1.20
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 04:10:09 pm »

Yes but if you look at the extra three inks, the printer does not have RGB components. It is simply an extension of hexachrome.

The RIP may do some internal processing to simulate RGB as a result of the devices extended gamut but this is not a inherant featurte of the printer and I would not expect this to be supported by all methods driving the device.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do not think that anyone here expects that the Z3100 is an RGB device with the related additive color mixing. It is basically a subtractive mixing CMYK printer with extra RGB inks (more orange, green, violet) that will substitute CMY mixes with the RGB inks where it can enhance the gamut. Like all the N-color printers around. The color mixing with the inks is still subtractive, the basic computation internally is for subtractive printing. In no way it tries to use the RGB inks in an RGB device like fashion which would be impossible on paper anyway as you can not get enough light reflected for proper additive mixing.

However the ICC profiling can be a CMYK, CMYKRGB variety or by splitting up the profiling components in a media profile + an "RGB-device" like profile as used in the HP driver. The last is a common term for that kind of profiling and nobody expects that the printer will start additive RGB mixing because the profiling is called that way. We know that the profile has more resemblance to the profiles used for true RGB devices and got that name for that reason.

Ernst Dinkla

www.pigment-print.com

Panascape

APS 1.20
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 04:34:30 pm »

Ernst, the process you describe would be the logical choice, if the z3100 was infact doing this.

The way the z3100 currently mixes colours is a key to the problem that the HP engineers who are coming to see us are looking at. Currently the device always mixes the additional 3 components with the cmyk base components making it a heptachrome printer.

This has lead to a scientifically provable loss in maximum saturation and the fact that the z3100 achives its best a,b, red value at too higer L values.

I have been in the commercial printing game designing colour workflows for over 17 years and the best approach to n colour printing is to create a base cmyk gamut and then create a secondary gamut using the additional colour which is what we used to do with litho when we played with 8 colour printing (C,M,Y,K,LC,LM,O,G).

If you start trying to profile cmykrgb you can get overlaps where the machines colour mixing will intervene and possibly give you adverse results as a long and exhaustive testing program has shown to be the case with the z3100.

Panascape

APS 1.20
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 04:35:16 pm »

Ernst, the process you describe would be the logical choice, if the z3100 was infact doing this.

The way the z3100 currently mixes colours is a key to the problem that the HP engineers who are flying to South Africa to see us, are looking at. Currently the device always mixes the additional 3 components with the cmyk base components making it a heptachrome printer.

This has lead to a scientifically provable loss in maximum saturation and the fact that the z3100 achives its best a,b, red value at too higer L values.

I have been in the commercial printing game designing colour workflows for over 17 years and the best approach to n colour printing is to create a base cmyk gamut and then create a secondary gamut using the additional colour which is what we used to do with litho when we played with 8 colour printing (C,M,Y,K,LC,LM,O,G).

If you start trying to profile cmykrgb you can get overlaps where the machines colour mixing will intervene and possibly give you adverse results as a long and exhaustive testing program has shown to be the case with the z3100.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 04:36:00 pm by Panascape »

Ernst Dinkla

APS 1.20
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 06:35:56 am »

The way the z3100 currently mixes colours is a key to the problem that the HP engineers who are coming to see us are looking at. Currently the device always mixes the additional 3 components with the cmyk base components making it a heptachrome printer.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Robert,

The Wasatch SoftRip that Marc also uses (I have 4.5, he has the latest version) has in the advanced color control section a choice to get into the Color Separation Rule, something that is normally a black box in RIPs (and drivers) or something that is entirely defined in the CMYK(RGB) profiling. Here it allows you to make the N-color Printer + RIP a "CMYK device" or "RGB device" and it defines how the extra hues RGBwhatever are integrated in the CMYK mixing model. With that rule used you can apply "CMYK" or "RGB" profiles on an N-color printer (CMYKRGBwhatever). Not so different from HP's APS solution.
The 5 choices are:
CMY Dominant which will cause the extra hue inks to be used in areas of strong color saturation but prefers the use of CMY mixes in areas of low color saturation.
The Hue Angle selection assigns inks to colors on the basis of their Lab hue angle, color saturation isn't a value there.
There are the Full Ink versions of the two above where the ink limits are increased for textile printing mainly.
There's a Pass Through choice that will use the separations as specified in the CMYK profile and it will not use the HiFi inks but they are available in the RIP for spotcolor areas.
What I do not see in my version is the setting of the Lab hue angle numbers for the RGB inks but it could be a black box thing that Wasatch sets per printer.

If you can influence the color separation rule to the same degree for N-color in N-color profile creation packages like the Wasatch SoftRip allows I will be surprised but I am not familiar enough with them. I do not know what other CMYKRGB profilers have in choices but setting the Lab hue angle values for the extra hues is a thing they have in common. At least that is what I have seen. I still wonder why they didn't add that Lab description for all the CcMmYRGB hues in that case as it wouldn't surprise me that the CcMmY hues in a set like that are not the same as used in a CMY/CcMmY set. Even the Epson K3 magenta has a huge shift compared to the UC magenta so it is also happening in conventional inksets. Not to mention the warm black, grey inks of the K3 set compared to the Z3100 near neutral monochrome inks. The last must be ideal for any profile creation software.

According to your message HP's choice for their driver has been the Hue Angle variety. I'm sure they are way more knowledgeable in this color mixing science than I am and I suspect that the inkset's RGB hues are specifically selected to be at the right hue angles within the CMY hues they have selected. Depending on their Chroma + transparency that Hue Angle integration choice may be the best choice in this case, not fully exploiting better RGB saturation at the extremes but cleaner RGB colors, more harmony in the gamut. Other benefits could be: lower metamerism, better fade resistance, more consistency in color. In my view this is still a true CMYKRGB mixing but not one that aims for an extended gamut.

The extended gamut would be possible with higher chroma RGB inks but it would show as bubbles on the gamut on the RGB spots (in this case orange, green, violet, spots). The extended gamut may be possible with higher Chroma CMYKRGB inks but that could influence fade resistance, there is a compromise to be made.

The Epson kind of dark gamut is the result of a cmyk inkset and the resulting CM, MY, YC, mixes that get their highest saturation at lower L values as that kind of mixes take out more light. With more ink transparency and more chroma a good saturation is possible. The ink volume used at those spots will be higher. The mixes less clean than the HP mixes. The other advantages mentioned for the HP CMYRGB mixes are not available. The Epson gamut doesn't have the higher L value saturation of the Z3100. So which one has the best gamut isn't clear to me.

It has to be seen whether the CMY dominant separation rule (as described above) for the Z3100 inks has the ability to get that lower (Epson) L value saturation as well for the gamut. If so it probably will be a subtle mixing of CMV, MYO, CYG, instead of straight CM, MY, CY, depending on the transparency and chroma of the CMY inks. More ink will be used then. Let's say something of the Full Ink variety mentioned above. There are cons to that choice like detail loss, gloss changes, ink use. But right now after calibration on the Z3100 I see nice saturated colors on several choices of target sheets (other profilers included) that make me think there's right now still a lot to gain with good profiling without changing the separation rules and with the ink limits and the ink specs as they are right now. Using the latest media profiles.

I'm not unhappy with the existing separation rule in the driver for for example Matte Litho (one of the media profiles that got better with the upgrades). Better than my Epson 10000 with MIS 7600 produced, equal to Epson 4000 prints I have to match but not a 1:1 match. I have to tweak the profile for the blue range where the dark blues tend to shift to violet but the blue saturation is better than what I have to match. One can expect some difficulty there where one Cyan (+ Violet and Green) replaces an LC an C. But what am I aiming at, something Epson created over the last 8 years or the ideal gamut ? I see shifts to my Fuji test image in both inksets. I like the overall result of the Z3100 more right now.

The normal offset printing gamut usually lacks a lot more saturation in art reproduction etc than normal inkjet printing does. Total gamut is smaller. The aim there is to get saturation of specific colors (often specified per painting or groups of paintings) correct and keep the CMYK mixes in harmony. In the inkjets we discuss here the gamut is already way beyond offset gamut and we have to use the complete set for everything that comes through the shop: gloss, matte, on any media, whatever. In offset the media selection is either limited or the ink set is changed to the media to be printed. I think that you can not translate offset practice to our inkjet printing.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

dkeyes

APS 1.20
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 02:49:41 pm »

Have been using APS 1.2 for a week and seems to have fixed a few issues.

Will print to fit width of paper (in my case a 24in roll) with very little waste.

Profiles can be made with HP pro satin and they look great.

Haven't timed it but seems to print profiles faster.

Perceptual intent is best on this paper from my experience.

- Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up