Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye one match unreliable?  (Read 2845 times)

charlphoto

Eye one match unreliable?
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:05:38 am »

I Have a 23" Apple HD monitor attached to my mac mini. For the last few months i have been using an Eye One Match 3  profiler to try and profile my monitor. There are two problems i am having I hope someone can give me advice on.

Firstly, the profiles i create are dramatically different, some more green, some more magenta. This is a real worry as i am trying to retouch a green tinge on skin at the moment and don't know which profile to trust. If i use the Apple calibration software on my mac it comes out more magenta, if i use eye one match, more green at the moment, but last time i profiled it was more magenta.

Secondly, when using the Eye One Match software, during the brightness testing, the slider will hit 120, but then slowly start going down. I once left it for an hour or so and it continued to just go down and down, which means i just don't trust the brightness on the monitor.

All in all i am very confused. Any help would be much appreciated.

Charlotte  

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:50:30 am »

Charlotte, first things first: Are you sure your screen is uniform, ie. the same color all over ?

Try making a white canvas in Photoshop, and viewing it in full-screen mode (no menus) . If one part of your screen goes green or magenta then you have a screen hardware issue.

Edmund

I Have a 23" Apple HD monitor attached to my mac mini. For the last few months i have been using an Eye One Match 3  profiler to try and profile my monitor. There are two problems i am having I hope someone can give me advice on.

Firstly, the profiles i create are dramatically different, some more green, some more magenta. This is a real worry as i am trying to retouch a green tinge on skin at the moment and don't know which profile to trust. If i use the Apple calibration software on my mac it comes out more magenta, if i use eye one match, more green at the moment, but last time i profiled it was more magenta.

Secondly, when using the Eye One Match software, during the brightness testing, the slider will hit 120, but then slowly start going down. I once left it for an hour or so and it continued to just go down and down, which means i just don't trust the brightness on the monitor.

All in all i am very confused. Any help would be much appreciated.

Charlotte  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Roy

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 11:00:06 am »

I Have a 23" Apple HD monitor attached to my mac mini. For the last few months i have been using an Eye One Match 3  profiler to try and profile my monitor. There are two problems i am having I hope someone can give me advice on.

Charlotte  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have no trouble with an Apple 23 inch display and Eye One, so it isn't the combination that is the problem.

I have not experienced the colour cast problem. Forget whatever colour you get from Apple's calibration software; it is not an accurate calibration method. Do calibrate to the monitor's native colour temperature which should come out not too far off 6500 degrees.

The brightness does vary. First, have the display on for an hour or so before calibrating so it can stabilize. Second, after changing the brightness, it is normal for the display to slowly settle to its new brightness. The backlight is a fluorescent tube with an electronic dimmer. It is affected by temperature; changing the brightness changes the temperature inside the display which affects the brightness. With a little patience you will get near the desired value. The brightness isn't a critical value and you should not waste time trying to get it exact.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up