Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: For the Hy6 / AFi platform to succeed  (Read 17207 times)

BJNY

For the Hy6 / AFi platform to succeed
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:58:11 pm »

I was a Rollei 6006 owner, and have always appreciated F+H's engineering (e.g. M39 adapter, electronic shutters for view camera use, etc.)

For the Hy6 / AFi platform to succeed :

- It's gotta work out of the box without glitches.  Don't let the paying customer be the beta tester.

- Camera body and lens firmware must be downloadable and user-upgradeable via the compact flash slot, just as with Canon cameras.

- The warranty on every piece of the system should be two, if not three years.  Repair facilities should be set up and ready to do any repair FAST.  Also, leaf shutter repairs shouldn't cost a horrifying $1,000 to $1,500.

- I can't afford to purchase two of everything, so make the system WIDELY available for rent.  

- Pricing needs to be AT LEAST competitive.  Don't let the Tele-Xenar AF 150mm F4 cost more than an HC 150mm F3.2.  In fact, give us some GREAT incentives to RISK buying into the platform.

- Market the Hy6 / AFi properly.  Make me feel the SUPPORT behind it, so I'll have confidence in its survival.  

- Billy
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 01:02:04 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

BJNY

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:26:40 pm »

- Market the Hy6 / AFi properly. 

Sinar + Leaf,
Don't interpret this suggestion by giving a camera system to one of those photographers that seem to endorse everything .  

Harshness removed by Billy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:35:15 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

BJNY

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:36:12 pm »

This gives me more confidence of the platform being open with Alpa offering a Hy6/AFi adapter plate: http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=products...257&tablepage=2
Guillermo

william

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 12:41:46 pm »

I'm not sure why.  The fact that a camera maker [Alpa] is offering an adapter to fit a HY6/AFi mount back onto its own camera doesn't mean that any backs other than Leaf or Sinar will be able to fit on the Hy6 camera.  

This gives me more confidence of the platform being open with Alpa offering a Hy6/AFi adapter plate: http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=products...257&tablepage=2
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:49:02 pm »

Alpas can already take Rollei lenses with a special adapter which is rather useful every now and then. I'd never worry about an Alpa body getting harmed in the hold of a jet - there's not that much to damage.

With the hy6 adapter I guess it makes them even more flexible.

hubell

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:19:47 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This, from an April Press Release by Sinar, is what would appear to give you confidence, but this is a company that cannot seem to shoot straight(i.e., speak clearly and directly to this issue and many others), so I would take it with a grain of salt: "The Hy6 has been designed as an open system and allows for the use of digital backs of various manufacturers."

BJL

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 02:06:41 pm »

- Camera body and lens firmware must be downloadable and user-upgradeable via the compact flash slot, just as with Canon cameras.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114025\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Better yet, via USB connection to a computer, as with Olympus DSLRs.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 06:38:18 pm »

The Hy6 is already at the production phase. This is all a bit late.

BJNY

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 07:32:18 pm »

Exactly what is late?
My opening post has more to do with marketing, and positioning against the competition.
Guillermo

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 07:35:15 pm »

Exactly what is late?

Asking for USB ports for firmware upgrade. As it happens, the Hy6 already has this

BJNY

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 08:54:12 am »

Thierry,

Does the battery in the Hy6 handgrip provide power to the eMotion digital back as well?

Billy
Guillermo

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 04:19:48 pm »

hi Billy,

no, the battery inside the Hy6 powers the camera only. The eMotion is fitted with its own internal battery.

Best,
Thierry

Thierry,

Does the battery in the Hy6 handgrip provide power to the eMotion digital back as well?

Billy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115799\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

BJNY

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 09:01:59 am »

Thank you Thierry.

Please keep us all updated with REAL dates when to expect the eVolution75 and eXposure sofware (dazzle us with some screenshots at least).
Also, I look forward to the pricing of the Hy6/F+H items you mentioned was forthcoming a couple of weeks ago.

Billy
Guillermo

BJNY

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 09:30:03 am »

Regarding U.S. pricing Matt,

It really should go without saying that a Hy6/eMotion75/camera adapter plate/warranty bundle should not cost more than a similar H3d, JUST to be even considered.  In fact, I think it would be a good promotion if additional lenses were discounted 50 percent to reward early adopters/RISKtakers, and to help saturate the marketplace with equipment.

Billy
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:59:25 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

BJNY

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 05:40:48 pm »

Hopefully, both batteries are the same type and/or uses the same charger.

hi Billy,

no, the battery inside the Hy6 powers the camera only. The eMotion is fitted with its own internal battery.

Best,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Guillermo

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 05:48:30 pm »

Hopefully, both batteries are the same type and/or uses the same charger.

Same as the eMotion battery or the Leaf? There is no standard to adhere to.

BJNY

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 06:58:06 pm »

What I'm saying is that ideally the battery in the Hy6 handgrip is the same type as in the eMotion digital back.  If not, hopefully they use the same charger.  My point is that I don't need to be carrying more chargers.
Guillermo

BJNY

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 06:58:51 pm »

Another question Thierry,
Will the raw file format for eMotion and eVolution digital backs stay with .sti or will it be DNG one day soon?

I'm aware of Hess' software.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:33:18 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

ynp

• http://
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 09:51:12 am »

I hope the new Sinar/Leaf/Rollei will be successful. Been in Russia I wait for a Rolleiflex version Hy6 in a month or two.  I am 90% sure that I will buy it. Still no information on the price of the camera for the Russian market and an eMotion adapter plate availability. I got a copy of a  Sinar/Foba catalogue for Russia and the price of a Sinar version of an Hy6 was indicated as Euro 5,600.00 ( with a 80 mm. lens?).

I have looked though a lot of PDFs, talked to the dealers, visited a Photo Furum expo in April and still I have a lot  of unanswered questions:

- Integration of the camera with 6008 Lenscontrol units (I use one on my Alpa with my 6008 lenses).Do they plan to introduce a new USB lenscontrol for the new camera?
- Can we ran the Hy6 in the Slave mode in CaptureShop as we do with the Sinar M? I mean that we will be able to set focus, aperture and exposure in the software? How it works with old manual lenses?
-Do we need any additional cables (USB?) and devices (like LC shutter) to use live view or one firewire cable is enough?
- Does the camera support multishot backs?
- what is the difference between AF and AFD lenses?
Etc.

I would like to understand the functionality of the camera before placing my order. Now I feel confused.

Yevgeny

BJNY

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 10:51:13 am »

Good questions Yevgeny.

I gave my idea for a new LensControl to Michael @ Jenoptik six months ago.  I suggested it be a standalone version of the Hy6 handgrip with battery (thereby saving tooling costs).

Curious to know the cost of the adapter to use 6008 lenses on the Alpa?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:14:43 am by BJNY »
Guillermo
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up