Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jasper, Alberta - 1st Week in May  (Read 4555 times)

PMLePoer

Jasper, Alberta - 1st Week in May
« on: April 24, 2007, 11:17:14 am »

Hi -

I'll be in Jasper, Alberta for a couple of days starting May 5, and then Banff for 4 days.  Anyone have suggestions for that time of year?  I'm particularly interested in seeing Moose, and wondering which trails might be open this time of year.  I'd be looking for something not too strenuous, with lakes that I could get to at prime Moose time, which I gather is early morning and evening.

Thanks in advance.

-Peter

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:25:34 am »

Another "must do" is the boat trip on Maligne lake down to Spirit Island  (Google Images - Spirit Island).

Khurram

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:15:17 pm »

Another "must do" is the boat trip on Maligne lake down to Spirit Island  (Google Images - Spirit Island).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114006\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Spirit Island is a must do.  But not in May.  The boat tours or rentals are not offered until mid June.  If you have your own boat (not motor) you can go on your own.  however, at the start of may, it is more tehen likely the lake is still iced.  I did the drive to Banff last weekend and north of Lake Louise all the Lakes were frozen solid.

The Vermillion Lakes in Banff were the only ones that weren't frozen and are a good bet anytime of the year - great sunrise and sunset locations.

Best bet for early May in Jasper is probably shooting the Maligne River and the Road from Jasper to maligne lake.  I've probably seen more diverse wildlife along this road then anywhere else (i.e bear, wolf, elk).  Not sure about what you will see at this time of the year though (i think it is a bit early for bear sightings).

You can also check out Pyramid Lake and Mt. Edith Cavel. Again the Lake may still be iced.

But personally, I think if you can delay your trip by a month, you can have a much more productive time as many of the roads in banff are closed until after the May long weekend (i.e. Morraine Lake road), and most lakes are still iced until the at least mid-May.  

At this time of the year, the Vermillion Lakes is probably your best bet as this is kind of the in-between times of the year, where there is not enough snow to get that wintery look but the lakes are still iced, so it also doesn't seem like spring.  You will probably see quite a bit of snow along the highway from Jasper to Lake Louise as last week the highway from Lake Louise to Peyto Lake had as much as 5 feet of snow piled up at the sides of the highway from the snow removal efforts.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:46:34 pm »

Ditto on what Khurram said. This site Parks contains trail conditions that are usually pretty up to date.

I was in that area in the last 2 weeks of May a couple of years ago and Lake Louise was still iced over but the air was warm enough to walk without winter parkas (but still wearing layered sweaters). The Maligne area was open by then and the lakes had just finished clearing up. But the week after we left they had bad blizzards in both places.

You'll be there 2-3 weeks earlier than that so you'll need some luck to get on many of the trails. It's liable to be beautiful anyway.
--
Robert

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 05:08:31 pm »

If you're doing Jasper and Banff, the trip down the Icefields Parkway will provide several interesting locations to shoot.  As has already been mentioned, expect to encounter snow.  Depending on altitude you'll also run into melt (wet snow, mud, ice), so trails won't be as easy to access.

Moose tend to hang out more in smaller wetlands than large lakes (although they're excellent swimmers), and with the ice still in, they'll still be eating winter browse (twigs) and anticipating succulents plants...

Oh, and the bears will be waking up hungry about then!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

mikev1

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 06:53:13 pm »

You might want to check out Emerald Lake.  It's low elevation and should be free of ice.  There is a really easy hike around the lake.  It's located right near Field B.C.  Also Takakkaw Falls is a good bet though I'm not sure if the road will be open yet.

Emerald Lake is only a few minutes out of your way since you are travelling from Jasper to Banff and well worth the stop.  You can check out a picture of it here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvanessen/472897327/

In Banff, Vermillion Lakes is a good bet.  There is a nice road that goes up along side it.  You can get some nice views of Mt. Rundle http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvanessen/443251878/

Also, Lake Minnewanka is another nice drive.  You are almost guaranteed to see some wildlife on this road.

Unless you really want to get into it any hikes at higher elevations will still be snow bound.  I've done it and it can be tough going and it's not always safe.

Don't worry though there are lots of scenic opportunities along the valleys you will be travellling through.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 07:54:52 am »

I looked over the pics from our trip in late May to refresh my memory. Maligne Lake was still mainly frozen over, and so was Lake Louise but Medicine Lake and areas at lower elevations were thawed and springlike. Weather was warm enough to walk around comfortably. Not all trails or roads were open, so it's a day to day thing. Keep checking the parks site daily reports. There are information stations whose telephone numbers that you can get at the parks offices (on the way in) that can give up to the minute info.
--
Robert

PMLePoer

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 10:54:30 am »

Thanks everyone for the responses - some very helpful information there.

I realize this isn't the ideal time to visit this location, but the timing wasn't under my control.  My company is sending me to a conference in Banff that week, so I'm combining it with a couple of days exploration.

I didn't quite realize however just how far behind us here in Maryland it is up there!  I can't quite wrap my mind around still-frozen lakes when the temps here are starting to be in 70s and 80s!

Anyway, as a result of some of the advice here, and an email exchange with a person at the Maligne Lake boat rental facility (lake still frozen, no boat rentals till at least May 12),  I've changed my 2 free non-conference days from Jasper to Emerald Lake.  The Emerald Lake Lodge has very reasonable off-season rates, and should be a nice place to stay.  So I'll explore that area on one day & then take a drive up the Icefields Parkway the other.

I'll post a report & hopefully some pics when I get back.

Thanks again & if anyone has any additional recommendations, keep them coming!

-Peter

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 12:18:06 pm »

I didn't quite realize however just how far behind us here in Maryland it is up there!  I can't quite wrap my mind around still-frozen lakes when the temps here are starting to be in 70s and 80s!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114544\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If it makes you feel any better, the last time I was in that vicinity was in July of 2004, and the lakes above Lake O'Hara (Lakes Oesa, McArthur, etc.) all still had ice in them.

But you'll find lots of spectacular stuff right along the main roads.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Pytlowany

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 12:26:46 pm »

The scenery anywhere in this area should provide you will many photo opportunities. The chances of seeing a moose and especially having a good photo op are MUCH more slim, the latter more akin to winning a lottery.  Only a few places in this vast area are good moose habitat, so they're not that common, nor tolerant of people.

A few wetlands around Jasper will likely be your best bet and perhaps Waterfowl lake area and I've seen them several times at Saskatewan River Crossing on the Icefields Parkway, though they are a very long drive from Jasper, Banff or Emerald Lake for morning light.  I'd suggest forget the moose but keep open to the possibility and watch for everything as the unexpected often comes up instead.

If you truly want to see / photograph moose, then your best bet would be to drive a few logging roads in B.C., however, due to hunting, the moose outside the park are extremely afraid of man and so again, the lottery factor comes into play.

May nice weather and warm temperatures be with you on your trip and drive defensively!

Khurram

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 01:21:22 am »

You might want to check out Emerald Lake.  It's low elevation and should be free of ice.  There is a really easy hike around the lake.  It's located right near Field B.C.  Also Takakkaw Falls is a good bet though I'm not sure if the road will be open yet.

Emerald Lake is only a few minutes out of your way since you are travelling from Jasper to Banff and well worth the stop.  You can check out a picture of it here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvanessen/472897327/

In Banff, Vermillion Lakes is a good bet.  There is a nice road that goes up along side it.  You can get some nice views of Mt. Rundle http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvanessen/443251878/

Also, Lake Minnewanka is another nice drive.  You are almost guaranteed to see some wildlife on this road.

Unless you really want to get into it any hikes at higher elevations will still be snow bound.  I've done it and it can be tough going and it's not always safe.

Don't worry though there are lots of scenic opportunities along the valleys you will be travellling through.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114256\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i thought the emeral lake road was closed, but it could have been the other road that goes to the falls (can't remember the name of hand)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 01:23:22 am by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog
Pages: [1]   Go Up