Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: colour balance H2  (Read 3249 times)

glenn_matchett

colour balance H2
« on: April 24, 2007, 06:44:25 am »

Hello everyone - I am new here I am a student photographer and if I have posted this in the wrong section ( not sure if it should be a technical area) please moderator feel free to move this.

I have used the H2 twice before but I always have a bit of a colour cast over my images, they all seam to be a bit warm with an orange look, I am hoping to do as little post production work in photoshop as possiable because I want to keep everything as it was shot rather than a lot of tweeking with levels and curves.

Can some of you give me some ideas how I can get the best colour balance I am shotting natural light in doors by a window, any help will be greatly recived.

on an other note Ia m also thinking of using a ring flash if any one has any tips on how to make the most of this equipment if you could give me some hrlp as well i have not used this bit of kit as yet.

with kind regards thanks in advance
glenn

godtfred

• http://
colour balance H2
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 08:02:03 am »

Hello everyone - I am new here I am a student photographer and if I have posted this in the wrong section ( not sure if it should be a technical area) please moderator feel free to move this.

I have used the H2 twice before but I always have a bit of a colour cast over my images, they all seam to be a bit warm with an orange look, I am hoping to do as little post production work in photoshop as possiable because I want to keep everything as it was shot rather than a lot of tweeking with levels and curves.

Can some of you give me some ideas how I can get the best colour balance I am shotting natural light in doors by a window, any help will be greatly recived.

on an other note Ia m also thinking of using a ring flash if any one has any tips on how to make the most of this equipment if you could give me some hrlp as well i have not used this bit of kit as yet.

with kind regards thanks in advance
glenn
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What kind of digital back do you shoot (or is it film) and do you set the white balance off a gray card?

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

glenn_matchett

colour balance H2
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 08:21:56 am »

What kind of digital back do you shoot (or is it film) and do you set the white balance off a gray card?

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Axel and thank you for your reply I was using the auto white balance and the back was the 132CF 22mp back

how is it best to use the grey card  do I fill the whole frame up with the grey or just have a portion of it in shot and use the eye dropper to colour correct n post prodction ?

also the images came out with a slight blur I am not sire if it was the ISO level as I had it on 400 I have heared that the H2 can only manage ISO100 is this correct ? could the fact I had a higher ISO cause any of these problems?

Thanks

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
colour balance H2
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 08:56:17 am »

"""also the images came out with a slight blur I am not sire if it was the ISO level as I had it on 400 I have heared that the H2 can only manage ISO100 is this correct ? could the fact I had a higher ISO cause any of these problems?""""

This must be a joke!!????
You are in the wrong forum if this is a real question.
Willow Photography

glenn_matchett

colour balance H2
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 09:03:22 am »

"""also the images came out with a slight blur I am not sire if it was the ISO level as I had it on 400 I have heared that the H2 can only manage ISO100 is this correct ? could the fact I had a higher ISO cause any of these problems?""""
This must be a joke!!????
You are in the wrong forum if this is a real question.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113970\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No I promise this is as genuien as it gets when you zoomed into the image the pixles had a slight blur to them it could not have been camera shake as it was on a tripod.

like I said I am a student studying in the uk and am not sure if it is a faulty camera or if I am doing something wrong

godtfred

colour balance H2
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:33:18 am »

Hello Axel and thank you for your reply I was using the auto white balance and the back was the 132CF 22mp back

how is it best to use the grey card  do I fill the whole frame up with the grey or just have a portion of it in shot and use the eye dropper to colour correct n post prodction ?

also the images came out with a slight blur I am not sire if it was the ISO level as I had it on 400 I have heared that the H2 can only manage ISO100 is this correct ? could the fact I had a higher ISO cause any of these problems?

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The ISO relates to noise in the image, and a sharp hairline should stay equally sharp with higher iso, just more noisy...

He H2 has a lot of mirror slap, and if you have and unsturdy tripod, while using a shutter speed below say 1/50 (?) you might get some trouble with blurring of the image.

To gray balance:

1. open up you first image in flexcolor, this should have a gray card present somewhere in the center of the image.

2. use the eyedropper tool next to the color temperature sliders in FlexColor to click on the gray card in your image.

3. click command+8 on your keyboard to get to the "thumbnails window" in flex.

4. choose all the images using command+a.

5. click on the modify button.

6. select the top function and choose "current setup" make sure every box is checked using the little triangle to the left.

7. all your images now get the new gray balance (assuming you want all of them to be gray balanced.)

On another note, if you dont know about white balancing procedures from the get-go, the H2 and MFDB is going to be a bumpy road before your images stand out... the MFDB world is a completely different ball-game compared to DSLR's.

-axel
Axel Bauer

glenn_matchett

colour balance H2
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 10:48:56 am »

The ISO relates to noise in the image, and a sharp hairline should stay equally sharp with higher iso, just more noisy...

He H2 has a lot of mirror slap, and if you have and unsturdy tripod, while using a shutter speed below say 1/50 (?) you might get some trouble with blurring of the image.

To gray balance:

1. open up you first image in flexcolor, this should have a gray card present somewhere in the center of the image.

2. use the eyedropper tool next to the color temperature sliders in FlexColor to click on the gray card in your image.

3. click command+8 on your keyboard to get to the "thumbnails window" in flex.

4. choose all the images using command+a.

5. click on the modify button.

6. select the top function and choose "current setup" make sure every box is checked using the little triangle to the left.

7. all your images now get the new gray balance (assuming you want all of them to be gray balanced.)

On another note, if you dont know about white balancing procedures from the get-go, the H2 and MFDB is going to be a bumpy road before your images stand out... the MFDB world is a completely different ball-game compared to DSLR's.

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you axel for your explination of how to get the colour balance correct, i did not have a grey card in my first image so i am guessing using that method next time should make things a bit better.

what did you mean about the the differience between a MFDB and DSLR being a different ball game - I have to say I am not over the moon about my firstintroduction into the MF world but I do want to increase my experince I think it is a great medium to work in and would like to increase my experince so if you have any tips you are willing to share or things for me to keep an eye on or what ever it will increase my learning curve ten fold after all I am here to learn what I can  and the better advice any one can give me then hopfully this will in turn show through my images

godtfred

colour balance H2
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 01:45:37 pm »

Thank you axel for your explination of how to get the colour balance correct, i did not have a grey card in my first image so i am guessing using that method next time should make things a bit better.

what did you mean about the the differience between a MFDB and DSLR being a different ball game - I have to say I am not over the moon about my firstintroduction into the MF world but I do want to increase my experince I think it is a great medium to work in and would like to increase my experince so if you have any tips you are willing to share or things for me to keep an eye on or what ever it will increase my learning curve ten fold after all I am here to learn what I can  and the better advice any one can give me then hopfully this will in turn show through my images
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113996\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry to have explained myself inadequately, you can use any image from your shoot containing a gray card to make the white balance. What i meant to say was that this must be the first image you open...

There is a group on yahoo that's called flexframe, it is for users of the hasselblad/imacon systems and is a great source for information on how to get the best out of the back's and the software.

Good luck with your system, its capable of excellent results!

-axel
Axel Bauer

glenn_matchett

colour balance H2
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 04:11:40 am »

Sorry to have explained myself inadequately, you can use any image from your shoot containing a gray card to make the white balance. What i meant to say was that this must be the first image you open...

There is a group on yahoo that's called flexframe, it is for users of the hasselblad/imacon systems and is a great source for information on how to get the best out of the back's and the software.

Good luck with your system, its capable of excellent results!

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114038\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Axel - you did not explain yourself inadequately not at all your explination was great it is just that I have a lot to learn

Thank you for the yahoo group name I will go and check it out

thanks for your productive replys
Pages: [1]   Go Up