Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colorado in September  (Read 11076 times)

Kathy

Colorado in September
« on: April 23, 2007, 05:57:09 pm »

We shall be visiting Colorado from the U.K. for three weeks in September. We plan to visit the following areas:
Using Aspen as a base we will cover Maroon Bells, Snowmass wilderness area, Castle Creek, Leadville, Independence Pass.
We then move on to Gunnison where we shall be able to visit the Gunnison National Forest, and if road conditions permit Crested Butte near the Keebler Pass.
We then go to the old mining town of Silverton visiting Durango and Ouray on the Million Dollar Highway and hopefully we will see plenty brightly coloured Aspens in their Fall splendor. A trip on the Durango – Silverton Railway is a possible. Is it worthwhile?
From South Fork we shall cover the Silver Thread Highway.
Than we head to Alamosa, our base for the Great Sand Dunes.

We would appreciate any suggestions as to other areas we should cover on this trip bearing in mind that our aim is not just to see but to enjoy, appreciate and photograph the places we visit.

We are considering hiring a SUV - any recommendations on type of car would be appreciated.

Many thanks

stevenf

Colorado in September
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:41:00 pm »

Kathy

I have been to Colorado the last two fall seasons - you can check out some of my images on my website if you like.

I would also refer you to the Telluride area (Last Dollar Road and Dallas Divide) and if you want to make the drive Boulder Utah - which also lets you get into the Escalante area.

One of the areas I liked was near Ridgeway - Owl Creek Pass - a dirt road which is not that difficult - if there is a heavy snow you may not want to take this road.

You may want to pick up John Fielder's book on Best of Colorado.

Steven

www.friedmanphoto.com

theophilus

Colorado in September
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:23:09 pm »

It would be worth setting aside 1 day to go to Rocky Mountain National Park to photograph the Elk.

I'm much more familiar with northern Colorado so I probably couldn't help much on other locations.

Here's a shot I got last year off of Highway 14 (Fort Collins to Walden):
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:23:41 pm by theophilus »

dmerger

Colorado in September
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 01:40:19 pm »

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Dean Erger

Kathy

Colorado in September
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 07:47:08 am »

Thanks for your suggestions. I will add these to my list of things to research before we finalise our itinerary.

If anyone has further suggestions I look forward to them

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
Colorado in September
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:41:46 pm »

Kathy,

I assume you are coming for the changing aspen season. Kebler Pass has incredible aspen stands for many miles from Crested Butte until you drop off the high meadow elevation and into Paonia along Anthracite Creek. Lost Lake is one of my favorite areas, as well as Ohio Pass, a different direction, that goes into Gunnison. Roads are gravel graded and should be accessible to 2WD if there is no snow.

We live on the western slope near Cortez, Colorado and the San Juans are also spectacular in the fall. Dallas Divide is very popular and has pull offs to view Sneffels one of the great, "vista views" in the state.  

The Wilsons are beautiful near Telluride if you get that far over. You may choose to head into Ouray and down the "Million-Dollar-Highway" to Durango. This road has three mountain passes, Coal Bank, Molas and Red Mountain. It takes awhile but as you expect, incredible views. All paved roads

I've been on the train at least a half-dozen times. It follows the Animas River into Silverton and then back down the same route. It can get tedious both ways and you can option to take a bus back to Durango but you will save no time. It takes a full day. They offer a photographers trip in Sept. or Oct. and it will be full of shooters.

If you head east from Durango and through Pagosa Springs, over Wolf Creek Pass you'll come to South Fork. Turning back toward the north on 149 you could visit Creede or farther on drive over Slumgullion Pass into Lake City, or as the locals know it, "Little Texas". Paved

Just south of Lake City coming down Slumgullion Pass are views of Uncompaghre and a pull off for Lake San Cristobal, both great views. Paved

If you go over to the sand dunes you will see Blanca Peak east of Alamosa with the Sangre De Christo's to the north of the dunes.

Enjoy your trip.

BillPelzmann

• http://www.pelzmann.smugmug.com
Colorado in September
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 11:42:11 pm »

I agree with Steve and strongly recommend the Dallas Divide/Telluride area for fall colors. Be sure to explore county roads 7 and 5 which take you toward the Sneffels Wilderness area.  Yes the Durango-Silverton railroad is worth the trip.

While in Aspen, be sure to visit the Marble area and drive to the Crystal Mill and into Lead King Basin. The Lead King Basin-Crystal-Marble loop assumes you will have a 4WD vehicle with good clearance.

The fall colors usually peak at the end of September, so you should plan to be in southwest Colorado toward the end of your 3 week trip.

Have fun. We'll probably pass each other on the road.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:42:39 pm by BillPelzmann »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Colorado in September
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 05:58:01 pm »

It's been a decade+ since I was in Colorado, but one place I remember was the Garden of the Gods in Manitou Springs. http://www.gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm?&Flash=1

You can find a map showing waterfalls in Colorado and surrounding states here:
http://geology.com/waterfalls/colorado.shtml

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

doccash

Colorado in September
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 11:57:39 pm »

Be sure to go to Buena Vista, Colorado. It did not get its name erronously! Also, between Buena Vista ,through Salida to Colo. Springs is breathtaking.  Dr.C

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Colorado in September
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 09:25:03 am »

Hi Kathy, I live in the central colorado Rockies (near Dillon in summit county 6 months out of the year  and since you will be near Aspen, I would definitely recommend a drive up the Frying Pan River near Basalt (not to far from Aspen/Snowmass).  There is beautiful Red Rock and with the color change it will be really lovely.  The River is beauitful (a gold metal trout stream).  You can see some of the red rock on my website (below).  Also have lots of other Colorado photos.  If you are lucky, you will get a snow, which makes for a beautiful site on the golden Aspen leaves!  Good luck--all of the western half of the state is beautiful.

Eleanor
http://www.eleanorbrown.com
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

sbacon

• http://baconphoto.com
Colorado in September
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 10:11:27 am »

You've definitely got the major destinations mentioned. The Fall Color Drives page at MyColorado.org is a great resource (along with very nice images). And as fall approaches, both Rocky Mountain Nature Photographers and Nature Photographers of Colorado forums are the best places to find current conditions - both are friendly and helpful.

Enjoy your trip! Our paths may cross...  

Kathy

Colorado in September
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 07:50:55 pm »

Just to say thanks for all your suggestions, we had a wonderful time in Colorado. I think we covered most of the locations suggested and we now have 1000's of aspen images. We also visited Colorado National Monument for a change of texture and colour.

Kathy
Pages: [1]   Go Up