Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Semi/Satin paper for test printing on Z3100  (Read 2925 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Semi/Satin paper for test printing on Z3100
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:50:02 am »

I have pretty much stuck with HP Pro Satin on my z3100 since trying HM Pearl FA and getting plagued with zebra stripes.  The Pro Satin is a wonderful paper as many know and I'm looking for help to identify a cheaper paper for printing test images.

My workflow includes printing a series of possible keepers after I return from a day of shooting.  I generally size them to ~11x17 or so and lay them out side by side x as many long as I need using Qimage, then evaluate them before deciding if any pass muster for print and mounting.  I generally don't do a lot of work on the image before these test prints aside from broad adjustments in the raw file using whatever program seems best (most probably PS3 from now on).

I'd like to start using a cheaper alternative than Pro Satin.  I can deal with a lower gamut as I'm looking at the image more than the colour, contrast etc, but I don't have APS or my own profiling system so I'm inclined to stay with one of the HP papers unless there is a really great alternative that is recommended and profiles well with the standard on-board profiler.

Looking through the profiles on the z3100 I see a number of choices, not all of which I can find on the HP website.

I'm interested if anyone is using one of these, or other papers, and how you might find their quality compared to Pro Satin.

Premium ID Satin (Q9772A)
Proof Prem Semigloss (Q7971A)

Photo Semi/Satin (can't find this on HP's website and I notice it has a lower ink limit)
Proofing Semi/Satin (same as above on both counts)

I also found this on HP website but it's not clear there is a profile for this paper
Universal ID Semi

Thanks

Mike

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 08:19:42 am »

Have a look at Red River UltraPro Satin.  When I run out of HP Prof Satin I'll be restocking from them -- my test prints are functionally equivalent and the price is dramatically lower.  You can use the same paper setting if you recalibrate/profile, or just add custom paper with the "HP Instant Dry Photo Paper" settings.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 08:22:46 am by SeanPuckett »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 08:47:19 am »

Thanks Sean, good tip I'll give it a try.

Mike

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 10:36:27 am »

Mike,

I use the Premium ID Satin to proof for the Pro Satin and find the gamuts functionally equivalent. The ID satin is thinner (265 gsm, I think) and perfect for proofing. A 18" roll allows me to set two 8x10's side by side and stacked as high as I need which works great for me as I tend to proof 4 to 8 images at a time.
A 50' Roll from Officeworld.com is only about $43.

As a side note, I have also just started working with Lexjet Sunset Photo Semi Matte which has an outstanding gamut and a surface similar to Pro Satin. A 24" x100 foot roll is about $92 so would be a good value as a substitute for ProSatin, although it is only 265 gsm and I really like the thickness of the ProSatin at 300.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:00:03 pm »

Thanks Jim, I'll try that as well although I'll probably stick to the 24" roll which is a little cheaper/sqft as well ($90 for 75' from Officeworld).

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up