Poll

How important is tethering in your LR workflow?

Can't even consider LR without full tethering support.
- 2 (22.2%)
Tethering is a key feature request, but I have a workaround.
- 6 (66.7%)
Never tried tethering, probably never will.
- 1 (11.1%)
What's tethering?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tether Support in Lightroom  (Read 2724 times)

CliffSamys

• http://samys.com
Tether Support in Lightroom
« on: April 22, 2007, 06:05:48 pm »

I'd really like to see Adobe step up and solve the tethering conundrum. I don't want to have two apps running at the same time to do one job. I don't even care about controlling the camera from the computer. Sure, it'd be cool to set exposure and shoot from the keyboard, but most importantly, I want to be able to shoot directly into my LR library without needless copy/move overhead and without having to reply on another app.
So please share your opinions on Tethering support (or lack thereof) in Adobe's competent new application for digital shooters, Lightroom.

Additionally, I want to point out a bug (and yes I've sent this through Adobe's bug page). Auto Import seems to be Adobe's answer to tethering for now. In The AI Settings window, you set a Watched and Destination folder. The text description says LR will copy files from Watched to Destination, but it moves them instead. Either the text or the action needs to be fixed.
But what it really should do is provide an option to import them in place (didn't beta do this?). Having to do a copy or move to every incoming file during capture simply isn't practical during an actual shoot. And ultimately anything here is a just patch to the lack of proper tethering tools, in my opinion.

Thanks.
Cliff
Samy's Camera, Pro Digital Mana

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 09:46:06 pm »

All I want to be able to shoot directly into my LR library without needless copy/move overhead and without having to reply on another app.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113678\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With you here.

Adding a tethered section in the import dialogue box with all the normal import options would be great.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:10:11 pm »

I'd really like to see Adobe step up and solve the tethering conundrum. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113678\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ain't gonna happen until there's a cross-platform standard for camera connections and communications. It's hard enough for the camera makers to do it let alone a 3rd paty. And yes, Phase One's Capture One DSLR does work tethered with "some cameras" but not all. Lightroom/Camera Raw support over 150 cameras...trying to get cross-platform camera control would be a nightmare. Watcheed folders is the way-until something else is done by OS's and camera makers.

CliffSamys

• http://samys.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:30:52 pm »

Ain't gonna happen until there's a cross-platform standard for camera connections and communications. It's hard enough for the camera makers to do it let alone a 3rd paty. And yes, Phase One's Capture One DSLR does work tethered with "some cameras" but not all. Lightroom/Camera Raw support over 150 cameras...trying to get cross-platform camera control would be a nightmare. Watcheed folders is the way-until something else is done by OS's and camera makers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Isn't this the exact argument people made against RAW files before DNG? I think Adobe could make tether hooks available for camera manufacturers to take advantage of. This may also encourage them to adopt native DNG in the process.
And why not expect tethering "profiles" just like RAW developing profiles? Everyone balked a few years ago about the myriad RAW file formats and how it would be impossible to support them all. How much more difficult could figuring out tethering really be? Remember when cross-platform color management was nothing more than wishful thinking? Adobe is the perfect candidate to push for this. Make a standard. Generate adopters. Incentivize it. These guys wrote the play book.
Cliff
Samy's Camera, Pro Digital Mana

Sid EOS

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 04:00:57 am »

When a Lightroom SDK is available the camera manufacturers should be in a position to provide the support that you are looking for. (But it is not likely).

This subject has been discussed at length in the beta forum, Geoff Schewe has provided a good summary of the outcome of the discussion.

Adobe have been touting DNG for a while now, but there are not many mainstream camera manufacturers supporting it directly from the camera. I don't want to wait that long for a direct tethered feature, the current solution (Auto import) works well for me with Canon kit.

Sid Jervis
Pages: [1]   Go Up