Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 39MP workflow with RAID and seperate storage?  (Read 3941 times)

rob3rt5

39MP workflow with RAID and seperate storage?
« on: April 22, 2007, 03:57:12 pm »

Is anyone useing a 39MP back or producing huge files that uses a RAID0 scratch disk and huge storage?
I have a Mac G5 2.5GHz and am getting a 39MP back within a week.  I'm wondering how most of you process your files quickly and than store your images?  I'm chiefly interested in computer related storage and configuration as relates to Photoshop and huge files. I'd like to have about 1.5T of storage and a seperate RAID0 scratch disk.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:59:18 pm by rob3rt5 »
Nikon D810

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 04:33:35 pm »

Hello Rob .. I'm using a xserve with Raid (7TB) array from apple.  The xserve is connected to the disk array with a fibre channel ... and the xserve is connected to 3 workstations with a gigabyte router.  This was just installed about a month ago and I've kept myself clear of the nitty gritty details so apologies if this isn't clear.  I store my raw images on one raid array and then the worked on images on another (3TB) each.  I can work directly on the files (33MP) from any workstation with a gigabyte network connection.  It works really well and has simplified the workflow in the office to a large degree.  As to sratch disks ... I'm still using the startup disk but am thinking of using an extra hard drive in each machine to perform this function... I tried it before on one machine but had trouble sometimes when the demountable disk became read only for some reason.

I've been shooting slr digital for about 4 years and mf digital for a year .. and there is about 2TB left on the disk array where I store the Raw images .. On the disk array where I have about 7 years of digital files (from film and digital capture) there is about 1.8 TB left.  Which isn't bad going I think.  There should be enough space there for another 2 years I'm hoping.

The whole system was quite expensive and I had to get a lease... but it solves the problem of data loss due to disk failure. Backup however is a different story.  The system is noisier than I anticipated .. and doing this again .. would have rented an extra room to put it in!

ARCASWISS

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 04:42:51 pm »

I just set up an Infrant ReadyNAS NV+.  It uses Infrant's XRAID system and will hold up to 4 SATA drives.  With the new 1TB SATA drives this would yield a net 3TB of storage.  I started out with two 500gb drives and will expand as needed.  

The diskless unit can be had for just over $600.  It is extremely high quality and built like a tank.  It's appearance would match a Power Mac well with the cheese grater look. It goes on your network and can even be accessed remotely.  The read/write speeds aren't as bad as you might think for a network device.  It is very quiet...and about the size of a toaster.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:58:23 pm by ARCASWISS »

rob3rt5

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 06:09:58 pm »

Hello Rob .. I'm using a xserve with Raid (7TB) array from apple.  The xserve is connected to the disk array with a fibre channel ... and the xserve is connected to 3 workstations with a gigabyte router.  This was just installed about a month ago and I've kept myself clear of the nitty gritty details so apologies if this isn't clear.  I store my raw images on one raid array and then the worked on images on another (3TB) each.  I can work directly on the files (33MP) from any workstation with a gigabyte network connection.  It works really well and has simplified the workflow in the office to a large degree.  As to sratch disks ... I'm still using the startup disk but am thinking of using an extra hard drive in each machine to perform this function... I tried it before on one machine but had trouble sometimes when the demountable disk became read only for some reason.

I've been shooting slr digital for about 4 years and mf digital for a year .. and there is about 2TB left on the disk array where I store the Raw images .. On the disk array where I have about 7 years of digital files (from film and digital capture) there is about 1.8 TB left.  Which isn't bad going I think.  There should be enough space there for another 2 years I'm hoping.

The whole system was quite expensive and I had to get a lease... but it solves the problem of data loss due to disk failure. Backup however is a different story.  The system is noisier than I anticipated .. and doing this again .. would have rented an extra room to put it in!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WOW...I'm sort of astonished!  I was trying to think ahead.  I guess I had better braoden my thinking.  Thank you so much for your reply.  It will help me immeasureably.
Nikon D810

rob3rt5

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 06:21:47 pm »

I just set up an Infrant ReadyNAS NV+.  It uses Infrant's XRAID system and will hold up to 4 SATA drives.  With the new 1TB SATA drives this would yield a net 3TB of storage.  I started out with two 500gb drives and will expand as needed. 

The diskless unit can be had for just over $600.  It is extremely high quality and built like a tank.  It's appearance would match a Power Mac well with the cheese grater look. It goes on your network and can even be accessed remotely.  The read/write speeds aren't as bad as you might think for a network device.  It is very quiet...and about the size of a toaster.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This sounds much closer to my budget- thanks for chimeing in. Do you use this in a 0 Mode with partitions or do you have additional mounted scratch disk?
Nikon D810

ARCASWISS

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 07:04:10 pm »

I use another internal internal disk for scratch.  The Raid is for archives.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 01:34:29 am »

NAS are convenient, but slow.

If you access your file repository from one client only, then I'd really advise eSATA instead.

If you ever target the really high end, you might want to consider G-Technology instead of Apple. Apple solutions are at least twice more expensive that their competitors...

Regards,
Bernard

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:00:10 am »

NAS are convenient, but slow.

If you access your file repository from one client only, then I'd really advise eSATA instead.

If you ever target the really high end, you might want to consider G-Technology instead of Apple. Apple solutions are at least twice more expensive that their competitors...

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Infrant is fairly fast for a NAS. BTW you better use either Raid1 or ever better Raid5 (which is also supported by the Infrant).
Pages: [1]   Go Up