Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An introduction & some pics- Comments appreciated!  (Read 2481 times)

pakhan

An introduction & some pics- Comments appreciated!
« on: April 22, 2007, 06:24:18 am »

Hi all,

I'm new to the LL forums so thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Terence Tan and I'm beginning to take photography as a hobby, more seriously. I was originally inspired by the grainy black and white photojournalism of newspaper snappers and pursued a hobby in travel photojournalism. However, time and further studies soon halted my interest.

That changed when I saw the Earth from above exhibit with wonderful photos from Yann Arthus-Bertrand. Since then, I have been trying to raise my proficiency and skill in photography whilst balancing starting a career.

Unlike YAB, I shoot primarily from much higher altitudes- whereas Yann often achieves fantastic detail of ground subjects, I try to obtain a wider overview. One might say I am trying to shoot panoramic aerial photographs!  

I am trying to constantly improve and develop- I present some images of my latest work and would appreciate any comments and feedback- even if it is to tell me to go away and learn how to use a camera properly!  

Please excuse the framing- I am current in the process of updating the typography.

--
Warmest regards,
Terence
www.goodacoustics.com
pakhan.deviantart.com

[attachment=2338:attachment] [attachment=2339:attachment]
[attachment=2340:attachment] [attachment=2341:attachment]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 06:25:20 am by pakhan »

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 08:58:49 am »

I like these a lot.
Clear skies: I like how the clouds frame the shot - maybe burn the clouds at the top to darken a bit.

Mountain Barrier - a bit too much dynamic range - top right is too hot, but there may be a good crop in there somewhere.

Natural Barriers - I'd burn the top right to balance the bottom left.  I'd almost like the tonality reversed - ie the centre lighter and the framing hills darker.

Sea of Cloud Crashes - not sure what to do with all the negative space in the bottom right.

pakhan

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:32:34 am »

Thanks a lot Tim,

I'll have a play around on PS and see how I can improve things.

Mountain Barrier was actually a shot I had thought up as an HDR type of product without HDR techniques- just camera techniques. I think that the folks I have been hanging around are particularly enamoured with that hyper-surreal dynamic range and it's rubbed off on me a little.

I'm planning my next trip in July so I'm just working my way through the photos and seeing what worked and didn't!

Warmest regards,
Terence

I like these a lot.
Clear skies: I like how the clouds frame the shot - maybe burn the clouds at the top to darken a bit.

Mountain Barrier - a bit too much dynamic range - top right is too hot, but there may be a good crop in there somewhere.

Natural Barriers - I'd burn the top right to balance the bottom left.  I'd almost like the tonality reversed - ie the centre lighter and the framing hills darker.

Sea of Cloud Crashes - not sure what to do with all the negative space in the bottom right.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up