Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DPP 3.0 issues /Mac Help please!!  (Read 4158 times)

Khurram

DPP 3.0 issues /Mac Help please!!
« on: April 21, 2007, 10:01:54 pm »

I just downloaded the DPP 3.0 update of few weeks ago and was processing raw files from a wedding. I've had my Mac freeze up while processing raw files and despite saving as i go along, I have lost all of the adjustments i've made to my raw files twice now. over a day's work.  What is strange is that despite saving every 20-30 minutes, the only files that still had the ajustments are from the last time i exited DPP.

I've never had any issues with DPP in the past and am wondering if this is a result of the DPP 3.0 update i did. Anyone else have any similar experiences I really don't know much about trouble shooting a Mac (or a computer for that matter), but the last few days i have had issues with DPP freezing up and I am unable to access the system preferences, as anytime i press any thing, i get the Mac version of the hour glass (the multi-colour rotating disc). The only way to get out of DPP is powering off.

Would appreciate some advice from anyone elss who may have experienced similar issues as well as advice on how to correct the problem. I thought about uninstallling DPP, but am not sure how to uninstall programs in the Mac (just switched over from the PC during this past year).  This is the first time i have had any issues with the Mac or DPP.

I don't think it should be RAM issues, as I've got a Macbook pro with 2gigs of Ram and i've got 27+gb of space left on my 120gb drive.

I'd appreciate if someone could let me know what the best plan of action is.  If it is simply re-installing DPP,i'd also apprecaite some advice on how to un-install programs on the Mac
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

francois

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 04:05:41 am »

I just downloaded the DPP 3.0 update of few weeks ago and was processing raw files from a wedding. I've had my Mac freeze up while processing raw files and despite saving as i go along, I have lost all of the adjustments i've made to my raw files twice now. over a day's work.  What is strange is that despite saving every 20-30 minutes, the only files that still had the ajustments are from the last time i exited DPP.

I've never had any issues with DPP in the past and am wondering if this is a result of the DPP 3.0 update i did. Anyone else have any similar experiences I really don't know much about trouble shooting a Mac (or a computer for that matter), but the last few days i have had issues with DPP freezing up and I am unable to access the system preferences, as anytime i press any thing, i get the Mac version of the hour glass (the multi-colour rotating disc). The only way to get out of DPP is powering off.

Would appreciate some advice from anyone elss who may have experienced similar issues as well as advice on how to correct the problem. I thought about uninstallling DPP, but am not sure how to uninstall programs in the Mac (just switched over from the PC during this past year).  This is the first time i have had any issues with the Mac or DPP.

I don't think it should be RAM issues, as I've got a Macbook pro with 2gigs of Ram and i've got 27+gb of space left on my 120gb drive.

I'd appreciate if someone could let me know what the best plan of action is.  If it is simply re-installing DPP,i'd also apprecaite some advice on how to un-install programs on the Mac
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've seen DPP crashing but it never froze any of my Macs. I usually don't use DPP so my experience is quite limited with this software. I would start by checking the integrity of my hard disk.  Removing preference files can also help (look for files with a name like com.canon * see below for path). I'd also examine crash logs so see if they always are the same or not. Repairing permissions may help or may not...
The spinning cursor just indicated that DPP was unresponsive. Have you tried to kill DPP using either  the Activity Monitor application (in the Utilities folder, launch it before using DPP) or a termina session or the CMD + Option + ESC key sequence?

Removing DPP can probably be accomplished by dragging the Canon Utilities (or whatever its name) folder to the trash. Then you need to remove preferences files.

* Canon pref files on my system (I may have old files, not used anymore so your file count may be different):
in ~/Library/Preferences
com.canon.Digital Photo Professional.plist
com.canon.EOS Utility.plist
com.canon.ImageBrowser.ColorManagement.plist
com.canon.EOS Capture.plist
in /Library/Preferences
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:12:59 am by francois »
Francois

Khurram

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:39:06 am »

I've seen DPP crashing but it never froze any of my Macs. I usually don't use DPP so my experience is quite limited with this software. I would start by checking the integrity of my hard disk.  Removing preference files can also help (look for files with a name like com.canon * see below for path). I'd also examine crash logs so see if they always are the same or not. Repairing permissions may help or may not...
The spinning cursor just indicated that DPP was unresponsive. Have you tried to kill DPP using either  the Activity Monitor application (in the Utilities folder, launch it before using DPP) or a termina session or the CMD + Option + ESC key sequence?

Removing DPP can probably be accomplished by dragging the Canon Utilities (or whatever its name) folder to the trash. Then you need to remove preferences files.

* Canon pref files on my system (I may have old files, not used anymore so your file count may be different):
in ~/Library/Preferences
com.canon.Digital Photo Professional.plist
com.canon.EOS Utility.plist
com.canon.EOS Capture.plist
in /Library/Preferences
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Francois!  I'll give this a try.   I thought there may be a "un-install" option that had to be selected like in Windows.

Are preference files all in a specific location, or they in the same file folder as a specific folder?

How do you find where some of program files are located?  I had installed a printer that i don't use anymore, but haven't been able to find it's location, so I don't know how to get rid of the install.
----

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 01:10:33 pm »

Thanks Francois!  I'll give this a try.   I thought there may be a "un-install" option that had to be selected like in Windows.

Are preference files all in a specific location, or they in the same file folder as a specific folder?

How do you find where some of program files are located?  I had installed a printer that i don't use anymore, but haven't been able to find it's location, so I don't know how to get rid of the install.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Some program need an un-installer and some don't. You'll find the pre files in your Library folder, inside the preferences folder. To get there a bit faster follow those two points:

1. Be sure to be in the Finder (if you're not sure, click on the left most icon in the Dock [funny blue face]).
2. Choose the menu item: Go>Go To Folder..., a small window is displayed, enter the following text: ~/Library/Preferences/.

Now, you need to locate everything starting with com.canon. See my list of files above in my previous post (com.canon.Digital Photo Professional.plist is the most important).
Drag the files in the trash. You're all set regarding preference files.

For your unsused printer, go into the Utilites older (inside the applicatoins folder), open the Printer Setup Utility.app application. A list of your printers must be displayed, choose the unused one and go into the menu Printers>Dleted Selected Printers.

HTH.

Francois

Khurram

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 07:01:44 pm »

Some program need an un-installer and some don't. You'll find the pre files in your Library folder, inside the preferences folder. To get there a bit faster follow those two points:

1. Be sure to be in the Finder (if you're not sure, click on the left most icon in the Dock [funny blue face]).
2. Choose the menu item: Go>Go To Folder..., a small window is displayed, enter the following text: ~/Library/Preferences/.

Now, you need to locate everything starting with com.canon. See my list of files above in my previous post (com.canon.Digital Photo Professional.plist is the most important).
Drag the files in the trash. You're all set regarding preference files.

For your unsused printer, go into the Utilites older (inside the applicatoins folder), open the Printer Setup Utility.app application. A list of your printers must be displayed, choose the unused one and go into the menu Printers>Dleted Selected Printers.

HTH.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113655\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks again Francois!
----
Pages: [1]   Go Up