Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo needs a brain!  (Read 8028 times)

Charles Gast

Gitzo needs a brain!
« on: April 21, 2007, 10:48:46 am »

I can't believe gitzo does not offer their newest tripod in the size and style which will be the most popular.  The only way to order their new 6x tripod in a three leg section format is to get the GT3530LSV, remove the video bowl and purchase a regular head mounting platform to put in its place.  I can only assume they are doing this to sell more tripod parts. A VIDEO BOWL? This is way too rediculous.
I am looking at alternatives to gitzo because of this nonsense.

Please give me recommendations for good quality alternatives

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 10:54:02 am »

I'm pretty sure the flat mounting plate comes with the LSV in addition to the video bowl.  You can use the bowl for salsa.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

matt4626

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:10:48 pm »

Both flat and bowl plates come with the tripod FYI. Great tripod by the way.

Charles Gast

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 07:05:04 pm »

Thanks guys. They seem out of stock everywhere anyway.
At places like B&H they mention nothing of the flat plate and only picture the doofus bowl.  Of course for its 4 section cousin it is pictured with the flat plate and we all know about pictures.. worth a thousand words etc..  Maybe it comes with a bowl but you have to put it on? Well it doesn't. The only reason I know is that  I have one. Which I need to try to get B&H to exchange for me after a month of it being in my office in the corner. Maybe they'll feel sorry for me for being so cornfused by their photos and no mention in "Item includes" of the flat plate.  

The four section job is tempting for its compact size when collapsed and I doubt it gives up much in the rigidity dept. That extra set of locks to fuss with when in a hurry is the sticking point.

ScottBHughes

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 05:47:41 am »

Hey Charles,

We purchased the tripod a couple months ago and promptly put our old Arca-Swiss B1 head on the thing.

The tripod is great.  When I get around to it, I'll replace the A-S head with RRS's ball head for weight issues and I'd prefer a slightly shorter max height.

Anyway, I don't recall an issue with the bowl.  What head were you plannng on using?

-Scott

Charles Gast

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 09:13:57 am »

I am using a Markins M10. It looks like the tripod has a pinhead on it with this ball head but this head was comparatively cheap when I bought it two years back and I have thoroughly abused it with no ill affect on its function so I still have it.  Drops where the head hit rocks, pouring rain,freezing rain, subzero temps and snow. No problemo. It is very light also.
The tripod I have just recieved (GT3540LS) from B&H a month or so back is the four section version so if that is what you ordered then the bowl isn't there.  
I had thought the only way to get the three section version  was to get it with a video bowl and buy the flat top as an extra to make it usable. I could not find the flat tops for sale anywhere so I went reluctantly to the four section unit.
I am calling B&H tomorrow to plead my case. I will ask them to let me send back the unused four section tripod since the whole thing is so confusing. I don't think they take pre-orders so I'll ask for a refund since the three section units are out of stock. I'll tell them to take a cue from the site Nill provided a link to; http://www.naturescapes.net/store/product.php?productid=202  and tell us in their Item description that although it is pictured with an alien looking contraption on the top a flat plate comes with it.  They could also save some trouble by just photographing one with the flat plate attached.
I need to take a break from this before I am driven to regressing 20 years and buy one just to get that dumb bowl so I can attach it to a water filled bubbling tong, or gong or whatever those things were called. I forget.

Hacker

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 05:05:09 am »

Gitzo does offer a plain 3-leg tripod. 3530S. Mates well with the RRS BH-55.

You may want to place an FP-300 on it for additional damping courtesy of www.kirkphoto.com.

GT2530 is really good with the Arca Swiss Z1. Just got it and with the FP-200 from Kirk Photo, it mates superbly.

Nill Toulme

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 09:01:33 am »

Gitzo does offer a plain 3-leg tripod. 3530S. Mates well with the RRS BH-55.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The 3530S is too short for a lot of people.  The 3530LSV is simply a taller version of the same three-section pod, with a video cup tossed into the bargain.

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]

mikeguil

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 10:48:59 pm »

Has anyone had any experience with the 3540XLS?  I'm considering it for the extra height, but will most likely use it with only 3 sections rather than all four for most of my work.  Will it, with only 3 sections used, be as sturdy as a 3 section unit?

Hacker

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 08:38:48 am »

The 3530S is too short for a lot of people.  The 3530LSV is simply a taller version of the same three-section pod, with a video cup tossed into the bargain.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114336\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The poster mentioned a 3-section tripod. There is always the 3540XLS and the 3540LS.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 08:40:34 am by Hacker »

Nill Toulme

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 11:33:50 am »

The poster mentioned a 3-section tripod. There is always the 3540XLS and the 3540LS.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The 3530LSV is a 3-section.  The 3540's are 4-section.

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]

PixelPeeper

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 08:21:00 am »

The 3530LSV is a 3-section.  The 3540's are 4-section.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is a plain old 3530 which I believe is taller than the 3530S, but shorter than the 3530LSV. It's in the Gitzo catalogue and I believe it's also listed on B&H.

marcmccalmont

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 03:41:29 pm »

I found the combination video bowl/leveling center section and a panning base a big help in quickly setting up for stitching a panorama with a ball head. I'll never go back!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Rowat

• http://www.andrewrowat.com
Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 04:46:33 am »

I am also contemplating the 3540XLS and hoping to order it in the next couple days. From other Gitzo owners of this (or similar) tripod what other accessories should I be getting at the same time? This is going to be primarily used with my Linhof TK45 and some medium format equipment.

-Centre column - which one?
-Replaceable centre platform with hook? (like a Kirk?)
-Different feet?
-A carrying case?
-Other bits and pieces I haven't thought of?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Mark Graf

• Nature photography by Mark Graf
Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 11:18:53 am »

I own the 3540XLS and am very satisfied with it.  I upgraded from a 1348, which I needed for my height (6'7").  Since the new line of Gitzo's do not have an exact replacement for the 1348, I went with the XLS.

I only need to extend the 4th leg section about 2 inches for it to be tall enough for me (with ball head and occasionally a sidekick for a 500 f4).   But having the ability to go even taller has already proven itself useful.    I needed to shoot over some bushes this past weekend, and even though I needed to stand on my tiptoes to see through the viewfinder, I was glad the tripod could accomodate the extra height needed.  It is still very stable even with the 4th section extended as far as I did.
Mark
http:

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 08:25:32 pm »

They are French, and so are not likely to change.  Induro is a chinese made close copy of the Git design only they include a carry bag, a strap, metal spike feet and a lower price.  I have one and its OK so far.

mikebinok

Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 01:19:06 am »

I have a 3530 LSV, and found removing the video bowl to be a trivial matter (even though I'm not a particularly mechanical person!).  I'm quite content with the tripod so far (three weekend photo trips), though if I had it to do over again I'm not sure it's enough better than my 1325 to justify the additional expense.

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Gitzo needs a brain!
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 01:58:51 pm »

"They are French..." Ever driven a Citroen or used Balcar? I love the 3540 with an  RRS ballhead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up