Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adorama Projet papers  (Read 2311 times)

mbridgers

Adorama Projet papers
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:16:22 am »

I've been looking for 11x14 art papers for photos, and notice Adorama's Projet line has a large number of them in varying weights and surfaces.  Does anyone have any experience with them, particularly with a dye-based printer?

Any idea who makes the papers for them?

They do have profiles available for my i9900 as well as all the Epsons.  Which is nice.

Thanks,
Mark

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
Adorama Projet papers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 02:35:50 pm »

For the i9900 there is only one paper worthy of note as far as I'm concerned, and that is Ilford Classic Pearl.  The gamut is huge, the blacks an inky void deeper than anything else I've ever measured.  It doesn't fade, unlike the canon papers (!), and best of all it's not murderously expensive.  Unfortunately, you can't get it in rolls, so you'll be slicing up 11x17 sheets to get your 11x14 pages.

I haven't found an "art paper" e.g. matte finish that doesn't have fading problems after a few months.  That's just the way the dyebase inks go.

I do most of my final output printing on a z3100 now but still use the i9900 for day-in-out printing of proofs, slicks, smaller prints etc.  Best of luck to you.

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
Adorama Projet papers
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 02:38:24 pm »

N.B. for best results on this paper you must have a custom profile made -- ilford's profiles are fairly conservative.  If you commit to any sort of media, spending the $25 on having a profile from your own printer's output made is well worth it.

mbridgers

Adorama Projet papers
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 04:39:51 pm »

The Ilford Classic Pearl is what I use most of the time.  After watching the Brooks Jensen inteview on LLVJ 16, though, I thought he presentation of photos was brilliant, and wanted to emulate it:  Print Name, portfolio name if there is one, date, my name, etc.  8.5x11 makes the print a bit too small for my taste, and 11x17 is usually too big, with too much white space.  11x14 sounds just right.

I'm probably going to change printers in the next few months, most likely to the B9180.
Pages: [1]   Go Up