Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Raw converter for Aptus 22  (Read 4839 times)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Best Raw converter for Aptus 22
« on: April 19, 2007, 10:19:17 am »

I would greatly appreciate any input on
what would be the best RAW converter for Aptus 22 files on Windows platform .

Thanks,

RSPhoto

• http://
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26:16 am »

I would greatly appreciate any input on
what would be the best RAW converter for Aptus 22 files on Windows platform .

Thanks,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael

I would say Lightroom is by far the best option. Raw developer and Bibble's conversions are also very good but the workflow is not as smooth.
If  Leaf would integrate a capture module into Lightroom it would beat C1.

RS

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:12:39 pm »

Michael

I would say Lightroom is by far the best option. Raw developer and Bibble's conversions are also very good but the workflow is not as smooth.
If  Leaf would integrate a capture module into Lightroom it would beat C1.

RS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply. Would you know how does the latest Camera RAW for CS2 compare with Lightroom for Aptus 22 files?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 09:41:31 am by MichaelEzra »

MichaelEzra

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 11:31:23 pm »

Attached is a comparison of ACR 3.7 vs PC version of Leaf Capture. It seems that clunky LC does a better job then ACR in recovering resolution from the RAW file.
A highest Grain Strength "50" was used in LC for better sharpness.
RAW file from Aptus 22 (on H1 body).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 11:33:09 pm by MichaelEzra »

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 03:19:48 am »

LR and so acr4 has a completely different algorythm than 3.7.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 03:56:05 am »

Attached is a comparison of ACR 3.7 vs PC version of Leaf Capture. It seems that clunky LC does a better job then ACR in recovering resolution from the RAW file.
A highest Grain Strength "50" was used in LC for better sharpness.
RAW file from Aptus 22 (on H1 body).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114804\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree with Michael about the amount of detail that Leaf Capture can extract from the file.
I love the colour controls of Lightroom and the workflow and interface, so I mostly use if for the Aptus, but Leaf Capture does a better job... I guess it must be doing something in all those extra minutes it takes to process the file compared to ACR.
Andrew
 ht

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 04:03:35 am »

I agree with Michael about the amount of detail that Leaf Capture can extract from the file.
I love the colour controls of Lightroom and the workflow and interface, so I mostly use if for the Aptus, but Leaf Capture does a better job... I guess it must be doing something in all those extra minutes it takes to process the file compared to ACR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114823\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try Iridient Raw Developer. I find it generates the same type of file as LC and even appears to get more detail out of the files.

It is as fast as ACR.
It also has profiles like the ones standard in LC10.
It is cheap.

I am still trying to find out what is wrong with it but haven't found it yet. The only drawbacks (if you could call them that) are, RD is only for Mac (but so is LC, the Windows LC is in beta over 6 months now) and the choice in RD has been for more detail at the cost of higher noise (which is fairly unnoticeable).

My vote would go to RD as best raw developer for Leaf.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:04:37 am by Dustbak »

MichaelEzra

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:00:01 am »

Thanks everyone for your input. I am on Windows platform, so using RD is not possible, and, as I have used Aptus 22  during only a single photoshoot I will continue using LC considering the quality advantage. I wish SilkyPix would support Aptus files - it seems to be the best quality raw converter, at least on Windows platform.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 09:40:41 am »

Thanks everyone for your input. I am on Windows platform, so using RD is not possible, and, as I have used Aptus 22  during only a single photoshoot I will continue using LC considering the quality advantage. I wish SilkyPix would support Aptus files - it seems to be the best quality raw converter, at least on Windows platform.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114843\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry Michael, I missed the Windows part.

James Russell

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 12:24:48 pm »

Sorry Michael, I missed the Windows part.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114852\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I really don't think there is a best raw convertor for any digital file any more than there was a best film or a best processing lab.  

All produce different results and some small, some quite large, but at the end of the day all are viable and offer enough variables to be well worth learning and using.

I routinely run Lightroom and C-1 for my P-30 files and just as routinely run Lightrooma and RD for my Aptus files, DPP and PSCS for the Canon files etc.

The only thing that puzzels me is why we now have specific windows vs. mac platforms.

Now that Apple runs on intel chips it would seem to me that any computer could run windows and Apple os which would give us all more options.

Given that and given the cost of a computer like an I-mac in relationship to the cost of a digital back, I don't understand why someone that is PC based would not at least have one Apple computer to take advantage of the Apple only raw convertors.

JR
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:25:03 pm by James Russell »

Bill.Gem

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 01:50:35 pm »

I really don't think there is a best raw convertor for any digital file any more than there was a best film or a best processing lab.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with James, and I think the more choices there are all the better for the photographer. There is a lesser know raw processing tool that has, by design, a photographer's visual approach: LightZone by LightCrafts. I have tested it with various raw formats, Leaf Aptus included and find that the newest revision 2.4 has a look similar to what I had seen from the Silky Pix you mentioned with other raw formats (Silky Pix won't do Aptus, now). Just my 2 cents   Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up