Canon iPF5000
- 9 (39.1%)
HP130
- 1 (4.3%)
Other
- 5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Printer Purchase  (Read 2363 times)

Langsey

Possible Printer Purchase
« on: April 18, 2007, 02:52:20 pm »

I am looking to purchase a large format printer to replace my Epson 2000P. The models I am looking are the Epson 3800, Canon 5000, and HP 130. What are your thoughts on these printers. I understand that the Canon has problems with their ink cartridges, bulk roll feeder, and warranty issues, but has excellent color detail. I haven't heard much about the HP130. I am favoring the Epson 3800, but it doesn't have the bulk roll option, not necessary though. Thank you in advance for your opinions.

John

Avalan

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 03:30:17 pm »

Hi John
I did not vote , because I guess this explanation would be better than vote .

Both Epson 3800 and Canon 5000 are having their own pros and cons , and it will be your personal choice to see which one is  better for your specific needs.

I wish HP had a 17" printer as good as Z series. That would be my definite choice.

I Have IPF5000 and if I did not have it , still would be my choice  because of the roll feeder. and I like its strong built.
But It doesn't mean that I think the 3800 is not as good. Your  will get a better solution for your need by examinig the capabilities of these printers and see which one is better for you.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 03:50:59 pm by Avalan »

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:30:51 pm »

I would not suggest the HP DesignJet 130. It uses dye-based inks, which just don't last. Its not even in the same league as the other printers you are considering. Paper feeding is also an issue on these machines.

If you don't need the roll option the 3800 is a nice printer. The profiles are great, and the K3 inks are a real improvement over the 2000P inks. The iPF5000 is an interesting machine. Early units were plagued with problems, and the software isn't all that great either. Once you get past these issues it produces some great prints, but it can be frustrating to get going.

I'd suggest the Epson 3800. You won't be disappointed!

Regards,

-eric-

fstop64

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:20:34 pm »

John,

I was also looking to replace my Epson. I went to the local and not so local photo shows and camera stores. I saw and read several dozen reviews and comparisions between the Epson 3800 and Canon 5000, both online and in US and European print.

Emailed several people who post on this site and decided on the Epson 3800.
Eric Chan made a comparision chart:

http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/IPF+Vs+...n+3800+%26+4800

At the end of the day, both printers (from what I read and saw) will give great prints. Since I do small runs using cut paper, I did not need the roll paper feature, and being familiar with the Epson screens made the first printing easy. I was worried about the fact that the Epson did not have a red / blue ink. It turns out it is not a concern, the prints look great.

That being said, not sure you would be disappointed in prints from either printer.

Sal Baker

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 10:07:44 pm »

The iPF5000 and 3800 make identical quality prints.  Decide based on the need for roll paper or a print head warranty.  The Canon ink is cheaper if you make a ton of prints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up