Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 and Epson 9800 comparison  (Read 4365 times)

hilljf

• http://photos.johnfhill.com
HP Z3100 and Epson 9800 comparison
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:28:16 am »

I have been using the 44" Z3100 next to my Espon 9800 for a few weeks now and thought I would share some of my impressions.    I use Imageprint with the Epson 9800 and Z3100 prints are done right out of Photoshop.

Paper loading: - The Z3100 does a nice job of auto aligning role paper and has an easy routine for fixing mis-aligned sheet feeds, but it is inconvenient to have to go to the back of the machine to change a roll, whereas with the 9800, everything could be done from the front of the machine.   Winner - Epson

Paper Flexibility: - The Epson 9800 can take paper or other media that is twice as thick as the maximum allowed for the Z3100.   1.5mm vs .8mm. Winner - Epson

Nozzel cleaning:  - The Z3100 wakes up periodically to do a brief nozzel check and clean if needed, this process seems to use almost no ink and given that the printer does this check itself on a regular interval, the heads never seem to clog up and the printer is always ready to print.    Every time I do a nozzel check on the Epson (especially if I have not used the printer for a couple of days) I find myself getting more annoyed as the printer spits large amount of ink into the waste bin.   For some reason, more nozzels needed to be cleared yesterday and the printer used $7 of ink to clean itself out.   It would seem to be a simple firmware update for the Epson to do something similar to what the Z3100 does given that I always leave the printer on.   Winner - Z3100

Mat and Photo Black:   Of course it is a great advantage to have the Mat and Photo Black available at the same time on the Z3100.   I have generally dedicated my 9800 to PK ink compatible papers and only change blacks on a rare occasion.  Winner - Z3100

Ink Cost:   Too early to draw final conclusions.  But it is interesting to note that ink for the Z3100 at the best cost I can find is 46-50 cents per ml.  Ink for the Epson 9800 is 35-37 cents per ml.     So HP ink is about 25% more expensive but there is less ink waste.     The net costs may end up being about the same here.  Winner: tie

Speed:  The Z3100 is faster than the 9800.   Winner Z3100

Printer profiles:   I use the Epson 9800 and Imageprint as a system.   One of the best features of Imageprint is the availability of high quality profiles for almost all papers, also multiple profiles are available for various display lighting condistions.  New profiles are free if you are on maintanace and I have experienced a two week turn around.      With the Z3100 the built in profile capability is cool, and it does take about 30 min to generate a profile.  The APS (Advanced Profiling option) is available for about $800, which I find generates better profiles than the included Easy Care option.  The profiles using APS recognize a wider gamut and better shadow detail.     It is fun to produce my own profiles, but it takes time and consumes media.   On the whole it is more productive to use the excellent Imageprint profiles.   Also you get all the other productivity benefits of a great RIP with Imageprint.  Winner:   Epson 9800 with Imageprint

Cost:  At Street prices the HP z3100 can be had for about $6200-6500 and APS is $800 for a total cost of about $7000-7300.   The Espon 9800 can be had for $4700-5,000 and Imageprint costs $2000-2500 depending on if you have other printers licensed for a total cost of $6700-$7500.    Winner:  Tie

Print Quality:  Isn't this the point!   Both are great.   When printing the same file on the same paper to both printers, I find the Z3100 prints darker (steeper gamut), more punch and in some cases richer colors especially in the greens and reds but at a cost to shadow detail.    I do have imageprint set to open up shadow detail, which may be leading to the slightly lighter character of the Epson 9800 prints.   Frankly I have't decided if one is better than the other yet, because my opinion changes with my mood and what I want to see in the image.   I expect the HP to improve with further firmware upgrades and would also like to try imageprint on the HP when it is available.  Winner: not sure yet

Just some impressions, no scientific analysis here.     I am happy to use them both and will for some time to come I am sure.

John

adiallo

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:32:49 pm »

Nice summary. One thing I would recommend. Unless you are well south of 5'10 (my height), try the "HP forward lean" and load/unload papers while in the front of the machine. I went nuts squeezing behind the printer every time I needed to change rolls. This also has the added benefit of actually being able to read the LCD.

And if you're using sheets be glad you don't have an HP and Canon combo. The HP checks for a straight edge on the long edge of the paper while the Canon checks alignment along the leading (short) edge. If you cut sheets yourself it can be a challenge getting sheets that load into both printers on the first attempt.
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 05:00:21 pm »

I have been using the 44" Z3100 next to my Espon 9800 for a few weeks now and thought I would share some of my impressions.    I use Imageprint with the Epson 9800 and Z3100 prints are done right out of Photoshop.

Paper loading: - The Z3100 does a nice job of auto aligning role paper and has an easy routine for fixing mis-aligned sheet feeds, but it is inconvenient to have to go to the back of the machine to change a roll, whereas with the 9800, everything could be done from the front of the machine.   Winner - Epson

Paper Flexibility: - The Epson 9800 can take paper or other media that is twice as thick as the maximum allowed for the Z3100.   1.5mm vs .8mm. Winner - Epson

Nozzel cleaning:  - The Z3100 wakes up periodically to do a brief nozzel check and clean if needed, this process seems to use almost no ink and given that the printer does this check itself on a regular interval, the heads never seem to clog up and the printer is always ready to print.    Every time I do a nozzel check on the Epson (especially if I have not used the printer for a couple of days) I find myself getting more annoyed as the printer spits large amount of ink into the waste bin.   For some reason, more nozzels needed to be cleared yesterday and the printer used $7 of ink to clean itself out.   It would seem to be a simple firmware update for the Epson to do something similar to what the Z3100 does given that I always leave the printer on.   Winner - Z3100

Mat and Photo Black:   Of course it is a great advantage to have the Mat and Photo Black available at the same time on the Z3100.   I have generally dedicated my 9800 to PK ink compatible papers and only change blacks on a rare occasion.  Winner - Z3100

Ink Cost:   Too early to draw final conclusions.  But it is interesting to note that ink for the Z3100 at the best cost I can find is 46-50 cents per ml.  Ink for the Epson 9800 is 35-37 cents per ml.     So HP ink is about 25% more expensive but there is less ink waste.     The net costs may end up being about the same here.  Winner: tie

Speed:  The Z3100 is faster than the 9800.   Winner Z3100

Printer profiles:   I use the Epson 9800 and Imageprint as a system.   One of the best features of Imageprint is the availability of high quality profiles for almost all papers, also multiple profiles are available for various display lighting condistions.  New profiles are free if you are on maintanace and I have experienced a two week turn around.      With the Z3100 the built in profile capability is cool, and it does take about 30 min to generate a profile.  The APS (Advanced Profiling option) is available for about $800, which I find generates better profiles than the included Easy Care option.  The profiles using APS recognize a wider gamut and better shadow detail.     It is fun to produce my own profiles, but it takes time and consumes media.   On the whole it is more productive to use the excellent Imageprint profiles.   Also you get all the other productivity benefits of a great RIP with Imageprint.  Winner:   Epson 9800 with Imageprint

Cost:  At Street prices the HP z3100 can be had for about $6200-6500 and APS is $800 for a total cost of about $7000-7300.   The Espon 9800 can be had for $4700-5,000 and Imageprint costs $2000-2500 depending on if you have other printers licensed for a total cost of $6700-$7500.    Winner:  Tie

Print Quality:  Isn't this the point!   Both are great.   When printing the same file on the same paper to both printers, I find the Z3100 prints darker (steeper gamut), more punch and in some cases richer colors especially in the greens and reds but at a cost to shadow detail.    I do have imageprint set to open up shadow detail, which may be leading to the slightly lighter character of the Epson 9800 prints.   Frankly I have't decided if one is better than the other yet, because my opinion changes with my mood and what I want to see in the image.   I expect the HP to improve with further firmware upgrades and would also like to try imageprint on the HP when it is available.  Winner: not sure yet

Just some impressions, no scientific analysis here.     I am happy to use them both and will for some time to come I am sure.

John
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John, nice summary but :-)

Paperloading: The Z3100 keeps the roll straigther during printing, on my Epson 10000 papers Photorag rolls usually wander more. I would say a tie here including the ergonomics.

Printer Profiles: I miss the Auto Calibration of the Z3100 in your summary. Whether you use the integrated profiling with or without APS or a separate RGB printer profile creator it is nice to keep your profiles up to date with the Auto Calibration on the Z3100. In practice I find that a more important feature than the integrated profiling. The use of one profile per paper on more dpi resolutions is also an advantage. The profiling on the Z3100 can not be seen separate from the media profiles HP is updating (and some other aspects) so I will not give a verdict on this either but I'm a bit more leaning towards the Z3100 on this. I'm using Qimage instead of ImagePrint so I approach it from another angle.

Print quality: The Gloss Enhancer and the related gloss print quality ? Speed and quality are also interchangeable. The Epson 10000 is a fast machine but I have yet to find a quality on the Z3100 that drops to the 10000 level while the Z3100 is faster already. You are comparing to the Epson 9800 which is another animal so I will not add a verdict on this either. B&W quality on gloss and matte shouldn't be forgotten either.

Ink costs: the prices per ml without VAT are almost equal in Europe for the Twin Pack HP 130 ml carts and the 220 ml Epson cart. Differences 1 or 2 Eurocent per ml higher for HP. You mentioned the different cleaning waste, my experience has been that you need on average one 220 ml Epson cart (about 200 ml netto) on one roll of HM Photorag 44" = 13,5 sqm. Counting recent HP prints on PhotoRag I think everything considered that it was about 30% less in ink use. Very rough numbers though. I think the Z3100 is cheaper on ink.

Ernst Dinkla

try:  [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

jschone

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 05:12:44 pm »

Hi John,

Good to start some real world comparison between these two printers. Thank you for your insight.

-What kind of papers do you use for these printers? And also what about difference  in bronzing between the Epson and HP?

-How big is the printing speed difference between the HP and the Epson? Let's say, to print an A1 on the Epson, Imageprint 8 pass 1440 compared to a similar quality on the HP.

-How about the gloss enhancer on the HP, how would you describe the effect on the output? (texture change of paper, reflections, color(black) impact, paper white)

My setup and obeservations:
I use the 9800 with Imageprint in Phatte black mode. Slightly more bronzing (a few days ago I went back to Photo black after a year of printing phatte to see how big the difference is and to confirm my decision to use phatte black: not such big difference, on both bronzing is there. Of course more obvious in Phatte mode). Papers I use are: (hahnemuh. FAP, hahnemuh. Photo rag (including pearl versionl) , Epson Prem. Luster, Epson Somerset velvet, Breathing Color canvas, Breathing Color vibrance gloss)

I really never had the problem with clogged nozzles on the Epson, but I use mine on a daily basis. I am also in a humid area (Rome, Italy near the Tiber river), strangely enough this seems to have a positive impact on "not" clogging. (less positive on paper conservation though...)

The built quality of the 9800 is so so.  The paper lever, the paper basket, etc., just a litte bit too much plastic. The inside(and most imprortant) parts seem to be of a very high quality. No problems noticed there.

Automatic sheet feeding is not very stable. Prefer to unlock the paper lever, and slide in a sheet.

Print quality is very, very good indeed. Color as well as black and white. Imageprint is a perfect match for the 9800. Excellent profiles.

Jochem

I have been using the 44" Z3100 next to my Espon 9800 for a few weeks now and thought I would share some of my impressions.    I use Imageprint with the Epson 9800 and Z3100 prints are done right out of Photoshop.

Paper loading: - The Z3100 does a nice job of auto aligning role paper and has an easy routine for fixing mis-aligned sheet feeds, but it is inconvenient to have to go to the back of the machine to change a roll, whereas with the 9800, everything could be done from the front of the machine.   Winner - Epson

Paper Flexibility: - The Epson 9800 can take paper or other media that is twice as thick as the maximum allowed for the Z3100.   1.5mm vs .8mm. Winner - Epson

Nozzel cleaning:  - The Z3100 wakes up periodically to do a brief nozzel check and clean if needed, this process seems to use almost no ink and given that the printer does this check itself on a regular interval, the heads never seem to clog up and the printer is always ready to print.    Every time I do a nozzel check on the Epson (especially if I have not used the printer for a couple of days) I find myself getting more annoyed as the printer spits large amount of ink into the waste bin.   For some reason, more nozzels needed to be cleared yesterday and the printer used $7 of ink to clean itself out.   It would seem to be a simple firmware update for the Epson to do something similar to what the Z3100 does given that I always leave the printer on.   Winner - Z3100

Mat and Photo Black:   Of course it is a great advantage to have the Mat and Photo Black available at the same time on the Z3100.   I have generally dedicated my 9800 to PK ink compatible papers and only change blacks on a rare occasion.  Winner - Z3100

Ink Cost:   Too early to draw final conclusions.  But it is interesting to note that ink for the Z3100 at the best cost I can find is 46-50 cents per ml.  Ink for the Epson 9800 is 35-37 cents per ml.     So HP ink is about 25% more expensive but there is less ink waste.     The net costs may end up being about the same here.  Winner: tie

Speed:  The Z3100 is faster than the 9800.   Winner Z3100

Printer profiles:   I use the Epson 9800 and Imageprint as a system.   One of the best features of Imageprint is the availability of high quality profiles for almost all papers, also multiple profiles are available for various display lighting condistions.  New profiles are free if you are on maintanace and I have experienced a two week turn around.      With the Z3100 the built in profile capability is cool, and it does take about 30 min to generate a profile.  The APS (Advanced Profiling option) is available for about $800, which I find generates better profiles than the included Easy Care option.  The profiles using APS recognize a wider gamut and better shadow detail.     It is fun to produce my own profiles, but it takes time and consumes media.   On the whole it is more productive to use the excellent Imageprint profiles.   Also you get all the other productivity benefits of a great RIP with Imageprint.  Winner:   Epson 9800 with Imageprint

Cost:  At Street prices the HP z3100 can be had for about $6200-6500 and APS is $800 for a total cost of about $7000-7300.   The Espon 9800 can be had for $4700-5,000 and Imageprint costs $2000-2500 depending on if you have other printers licensed for a total cost of $6700-$7500.    Winner:  Tie

Print Quality:  Isn't this the point!   Both are great.   When printing the same file on the same paper to both printers, I find the Z3100 prints darker (steeper gamut), more punch and in some cases richer colors especially in the greens and reds but at a cost to shadow detail.    I do have imageprint set to open up shadow detail, which may be leading to the slightly lighter character of the Epson 9800 prints.   Frankly I have't decided if one is better than the other yet, because my opinion changes with my mood and what I want to see in the image.   I expect the HP to improve with further firmware upgrades and would also like to try imageprint on the HP when it is available.  Winner: not sure yet

Just some impressions, no scientific analysis here.     I am happy to use them both and will for some time to come I am sure.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hilljf

• http://photos.johnfhill.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 03:17:29 pm »

Thanks for the builds on the comparison.

I will have to try the "HP forward lean" to see how that work for me.

Regarding roll paper on the 9800.   I have never had the paper go out of alignment or drift once it is loaded.

The calibration feature of the Z3100 is a nice feature, however it has been hard for me to tell how much of a difference it really makes vs just good profiles.   The answer to the question would be in the degree of variation between ink and paper batches and perhaps printing conditions.    Of course, if we are talking about exact profiling then there is not question that having the ability to profile when needed is a must.

The gloss enhancer works and does darken the prints a bit.   I have not found bronzing to be a serious issue for me with the Epson 9800 or with the HP with GE off.    With GE on there is no sign of bronzing.

Both great printers...    John
Pages: [1]   Go Up