Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save for Web option in LR?  (Read 5544 times)

StephenEdgar

• http://stephenedgarphotography.com
Save for Web option in LR?
« on: April 18, 2007, 03:08:57 am »

Hi Folks,
I'd appreciate some advice on the following issue. Prior to uploading images to my personal web site, I normally use Photoshop to 'save the image for web use'. As I understand it, PS then strips all metadata from the image. Is there a similar option in LR, or do I misunderstand what "Save For Web" does in PS?
Any insight would be appreciated,
Regards
Stephen Edgar

francois

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 03:46:42 am »

Hi Folks,
I'd appreciate some advice on the following issue. Prior to uploading images to my personal web site, I normally use Photoshop to 'save the image for web use'. As I understand it, PS then strips all metadata from the image. Is there a similar option in LR, or do I misunderstand what "Save For Web" does in PS?
Any insight would be appreciated,
Regards
Stephen Edgar
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Stephen,
Use the For E-Mail export preset as a base preset. Be sure to check Minimize Embedded Metadata and select sRGB as Color Space. See the screenshot below.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 03:48:04 am by francois »
Francois

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 07:24:00 am »

Stephen,
Use the For E-Mail export preset as a base preset. Be sure to check Minimize Embedded Metadata and select sRGB as Color Space. See the screenshot below.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately, unless I've missed something, there is no way to output sharpen for export of any kind - only print.  And there's no way to add a border.  LR isn't quite there yet for web export...
--
David Mantripp

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:12:46 am »

Stephen

You understand Save for Web. Some of us have always hated how it gives no choice of whether it strips all metadata, and an alternative is to use Photoshop's Save As command which leaves the metadata intact.

David, you're right, at least for now....

John
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:17:39 am by johnbeardy »

francois

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 10:57:49 am »

Unfortunately, unless I've missed something, there is no way to output sharpen for export of any kind - only print.  And there's no way to add a border.  LR isn't quite there yet for web export...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What I'm doing is that I import my photos without any sharpening into LR and generate my web pages. Then, I use Photoshop and PKS with to sharpen for the web. I fully agree with you when you say "LR isn't quite there yet for web export...".

Francois

macgyver

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 11:15:37 am »

Why is it desireable to minimize metadata?

francois

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 11:17:56 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113066\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
To hide technical information, for example the serial number of the camera.
Francois

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 11:19:48 am »

Why is it desirable to minimize metadata?

When bandwidth was very limited, it made sense. But in general, I don't think it is. Certainly not things like your copyright and contact info. You might want to eliminate stuff like Exif or GPS though.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:20:10 am by johnbeardy »

macgyver

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:26:45 am »

To hide technical information, for example the serial number of the camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113068\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When bandwidth was very limited, it made sense. But in general, I don't think it is. Certainly not things like your copyright and contact info. You might want to eliminate stuff like Exif or GPS though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks guys.  So, if I honestly don't care if people see my exif or not (In fact I like being able to analyize others if I am curious) I shouldn't worry about it?

francois

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 11:39:21 am »

Thanks guys.  So, if I honestly don't care if people see my exif or not (In fact I like being able to analyize others if I am curious) I shouldn't worry about it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, you certainly shouldn't worry!  
In fact, except for GPS info and camera serial number, there's nothing really important in embedded metadata.
Me,  I don't mind having people looking at my EXIF. You can learn from it.

Edit: I remember having read a discussion here on the LL forums. A user had difficulties to open a heavily modified file in Photoshop. He had 150 or more dust spots cleaned in LR and PS couldn't open the TIFF file unless he used "Minimize Metadata" in the export panel. Not sure if it's relevant.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:41:48 am by francois »
Francois

JoeTree

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 02:44:13 pm »

Quite simple - to minimise file size.

If you have 10 jpeg images on a web page and each one has 5Kb worth of (useless) metadata, the overall size of your page will increase by 50Kb. In web terms, that's still quite a lot.

Sure, in some instances retaining metadata for web images is useful, in which case don't use Save for Web.

StephenEdgar

• http://stephenedgarphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 03:07:43 pm »

Thanks for all the helpful replies to my post.
I'd like to add a little background to why I need the "Save To Web" at all!
I use the 'Clikpic'  service to host my web site, and one of the requirements is that images for upload are processed via the "Save for Web" option.
I have tried the "Export to E-mail" option in LR, ensuring that the 'Minimise Metadata " option was ticked, but to no avail. The Clikpik 'system' simply reports that the file being uploaded is not in the 'correct format'. Pity, as I'd like to avoid another round trip to PS!
Its a pity LR doesn't allow the onstruction of a 'hierarchical' web site, then I wouldn't need to use the ClikPic system at all!
Thanks again for all the insight and advice and has been most helpful.
Regards,
Stephen Edgar

stephenedgarphotography.com

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 06:07:17 pm »

Edit: I remember having read a discussion here on the LL forums. A user had difficulties to open a heavily modified file in Photoshop. He had 150 or more dust spots cleaned in LR and PS couldn't open the TIFF file unless he used "Minimize Metadata" in the export panel. Not sure if it's relevant.

Interesting. I had a similar experience but more with the loss of speed in LR. I had a bunch of images, 100 or so, that were taken at the end of a dry dusty trip when i had no way to clean the sensor apart from a turbo blower. Punta Arenas, Patagonia lacks some basic camera gear!

On import, i had roughly 100 spot removals. The moment i had finished one image with this tool, the whole LR just ground to a hault. The more images i applied this too the slower it got. I had to restart LR and close the tool, which marginally improved. Now, specifically if i am in this folder, LR performs drunk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up