Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDB Price Expectations  (Read 14899 times)

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 03:04:09 am »

after deciding on which back was the one I needed I would work with the closest supplier of that back to get the best price.. I would have other quotes to help the neogociating process.
If they give me a great deal.. beyond the call of duty, and ask that I keep that between myself and them.. yes I would..just as I would expect my client whom I just gave a great price for a job to do the same..it is called building and keeping good relationships..
I will usually go with the most local supplier even if a little more money.. as you need a friend sometimes when the stuff hits the fan..good luck with the back you get. pm

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 03:51:24 am »

after deciding on which back was the one I needed I would work with the closest supplier of that back to get the best price.. I would have other quotes to help the neogociating process.
If they give me a great deal.. beyond the call of duty, and ask that I keep that between myself and them.. yes I would..just as I would expect my client whom I just gave a great price for a job to do the same..it is called building and keeping good relationships..
I will usually go with the most local supplier even if a little more money.. as you need a friend sometimes when the stuff hits the fan..good luck with the back you get. pm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would go with the closest dealer if I felt comfortable dealing with them. Whenever I get the feeling they don't really care, do not deliver any added value, it takes ages to get an answer and when you do it is on a different question and last but not least they charge more than 50% than another dealer which is overseas, I will most certainly buy it elsewhere.

I wish Steve would open an affiliate over here, lets put it that way or maybe I should take up selling MFDB's myself over here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 03:52:59 am by Dustbak »

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 04:13:01 am »

I would go with the closest dealer if I felt comfortable dealing with them. Whenever I get the feeling they don't really care, do not deliver any added value, it takes ages to get an answer and when you do it is on a different question and last but not least they charge more than 50% than another dealer which is overseas, I will most certainly buy it elsewhere.

I wish Steve would open an affiliate over here, lets put it that way or maybe I should take up selling MFDB's myself over here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well that goes without saying, being an american, I have not yet had the chance to buy a mfdb in the "european community".. I think I would be tempted to go back on what I said and deal with the US guys I knonw - I haven't gone down that path yet.. but it is a matter of time..I'm trying to see how long I can go before an upgrade. I would seriously look at a used/demo one given the depreciation off the shelf of the new backs.

Joe Behar

MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 09:55:12 am »

As a dealer, I have no standard selling price on a MFDB. The only standards are:

*The MSRP
*Our dealer cost

What I do with those figures is up to me and the negotiation between me and my client. My objective is to provide a price that my customer is comfortable with that will satisfy the resource requirements of our service. End of story.

As such, I really don't care if one of my customers tells anyone what price they paid me, because I can assure you, it is not the lowest price you can get. At times, I am confronted by pricing from dealers that have priced a product lower than I have and am asked to match or beat the price. Depending on what the competing price is, I am open to taking part in that. But if the price is too low (and this is usually a price from a dealer that does not offer anywhere near the level of service that we do), the customer has the choice of saving some bucks, or receiving premium service on a premium product that (as all can attest to) will likely have some hiccups throughout the years.

I don't concern myself with what other dealers sell their MFDB's at. If they are selling significantly below my comfort zone, they either don't offer premium service, or MFDB's are not a core part of their business. In other words, they could drop that part of their business and not bat an eye.

The only negative for me in regard to publicizing selling prices of MFDB's, is the perpetuation that the lowest price doesn't have a negative affect on the photographer's ability to utilize the product to efficiently get the work done.

Steve Hendrix
Profesional Photo Resources
www.ppratlanta.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113174\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bravo Steve,

I should have replied long before this as well

As a dealer I am constantly facing questions such as " XYZ offered me the same thing at $ABC less than you"

Like you, I never claim to have the lowest price, but I do promise, and deliver, exceptional service and support. That costs money, but to date I have not seen a posting on any forum from any of my clients asking about how a certain feature works or how to do something. That's because they're busy out making photographs instead of struggling with tech questions because they have recieved no training, no support and have no one they can ask those questions of.

To all you potential clients and users out there.....

If you're going to spend $30K is the + or - $500 a deal breaker? do you not think that getting caught in a situation where you are not getting what you should be out of your premium equipment not worth that cost? Is being able to pick up the phone and getting really realy fast and accurate answers not worth anything?

The reality is that you're going to need support at some point and if you can't find the guy that sold you your digital back at that bargain price you'll probably end up finding either me or someone like Steve to ask the questions. How fair is that?

End of rant

Joe

Mort54

• http://
MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 11:09:30 am »

If you're going to spend $30K is the + or - $500 a deal breaker? do you not think that getting caught in a situation where you are not getting what you should be out of your premium equipment not worth that cost? Is being able to pick up the phone and getting really realy fast and accurate answers not worth anything?
Hi Joe. When I started this thread, my intent wasn't to figure out how to squeeze the dealer out of every last cent. As you indicated, VARs offer a very valuable service, and I'm really looking for pricing that's fair to everyone. I will say that based on various private messages, I have concluded that the quote I got on a Phase One back was grossly high, and that's really at the heart of what I was trying to find out with this thread, i.e. what should my expectations be.

Regards,
Hans.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Joe Behar

MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 12:31:51 pm »

Hans,

My comments were in no way intended to insult or inflame. I always have and will continue to tell my clients that they are welcome to compare prices, but always keep in mind that there is more to buying any product than just the sticker price. You, as the consumer must decide what is a fair price for what you are getting. Shop, compare, ask for a better deal...that is your job as the customer, but realize that at some point I, as the seller, will have to say "that's the best I can do"

The rest is up to the market.

I've said what I have to and will now go back to lurking...

Mort54

MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 12:48:47 pm »

My comments were in no way intended to insult or inflame.
No worries. I certainly didn't take your comments that way. My earlier comment to you was just to explain my point of view as a potential customer, and to make it clear I'm looking for fair pricing for both parties. I certainly also agree with your point of view. The seller should only offer a price that's good for business, and the buyer should only accept the price if it makes sense to their business.

Regards,
Hans.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 03:43:23 pm »

Bravo Steve,

I should have replied long before this as well

As a dealer I am constantly facing questions such as " XYZ offered me the same thing at $ABC less than you"

Like you, I never claim to have the lowest price, but I do promise, and deliver, exceptional service and support. That costs money, but to date I have not seen a posting on any forum from any of my clients asking about how a certain feature works or how to do something. That's because they're busy out making photographs instead of struggling with tech questions because they have recieved no training, no support and have no one they can ask those questions of.

To all you potential clients and users out there.....

The reality is that you're going to need support at some point and if you can't find the guy that sold you your digital back at that bargain price you'll probably end up finding either me or someone like Steve to ask the questions. How fair is that?

End of rant

Joe
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113398\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe we need more dealers like you where I live. Because, as far as I know there aren't any such. And let me be clear, every major purchase I made I have made locally, leaving the guys some money, in order to have the smiling face of a friend to look at in case of trouble. Mostly I found out that the equipment makers don't really want to return the dealer's phone call when the message says trouble.

Edmund

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 03:47:41 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 04:07:20 pm »

I'm in the process of upgrading the back I have on my Mamiya AFD II.  I had the pleasure of meeting with a fellow LL member a couple weeks to shoot in Page AZ.  I have a Kodak Pro while he has a Phase One P30.  We shot slot canyons and did a few lanscapes (Horseshoe Bend and the overlook at the lake).  What this did for me was to up the date to this year for the replacement.  I got home and went on the great search.  I decided early-on on the Phase One and then decided that I needed a back that was going to suite my shooting needs - dry, dusty, monsoons, snow - well you get the point.  My decision is the P30+.  I posted questions on the Phase One forum and since I don't have a dealer close by in Arizona I did a little more research on this forum.  What I found was a dealer who posts  here quite often and sent an email to him.  This entire research has been both an eye opener as well as some unexpected results.  It appears that both Phase One corporate as well as their dealers care for what they sell and who the customer is.  Since starting this search I've had the local dealer for Arizona who is in Denver come to me to demo a P45 all the while knowing that I was working with another dealer.

Bottom line is that I'm set to sign the bottom line shortly and feel that my so be dealer has given me the best possible price he can.  When dealing with such a high end item a difference of a couple hunderd dollars is meaningless.  What should matter is what your gut is telling you about the dealer.  You know you'll be satisfied with the product - are you going to be statisfied with the dealer?  Is this going to be a long term relationship that you both can handle?  For me the anser to all of the above is yes.  I'm looking forward to placing the order as well as the long term relationship that will come (as I know it will) with the dealer.  I know I haven't stated my final decision but I went/or am going with the one with the best sence of humor - he knows who is he.

So do your research, get the best possible price you can but understand the cheapest bid is not always the best in the long run.

Okay I'll get off my soapbox and get back to work so that I can pay for this...

Fred Ragland

MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 04:24:07 pm »

...he knows who is he.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113458\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So, who is he?

Fred Ragland

BJNY

MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 03:51:11 am »

Thierry,

Can't wait to know.
Hoping it's at least competitive to Hasselblad H-series.  
Any news on how soon the 35mm + 120mm will be available?

Billy

We are aware that the Hy6 has no definitive pricing yet, either in the US nor elsewhere: It is certainly not our distributor's failure and nothing to blame them on this (rather Sinar to be blamed). This is going to change in a few days with information by Sinar being sent to all of our distributors worldwide, containing all the prices.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113024\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Guillermo

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2007, 05:22:57 am »

hi Billy,

nothing new o the AFD lenses' front: they are still planed and should still be available by septembre. That's the latest news I have.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,

Can't wait to know.
Hoping it's at least competitive to Hasselblad H-series. 
Any news on how soon the 35mm + 120mm will be available?

Billy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 12:02:37 pm »

So, who is he?

Fred Ragland
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris Lawery, Capture Integration.  Just finished placing the order for a P30+

Fred Ragland

MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 12:30:27 pm »

Chris Lawery, Capture Integration.  Just finished placing the order for a P30+
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you Don.  Congratulations.

Fred Ragland

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
MFDB Price Expectations
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 03:39:10 pm »

Thank you Don.  Congratulations.

Fred Ragland
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113817\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fred, Thank you.  I've got to say the entire research and buying experience went very well.  I've lost count of the number of calls from NY - and they weren't just in your face with what can we do to get you on board type of calls - they listened to my needs and wants.  It actually came down to two dealers - Global and Capture.  Both have very strong points in their favor, in the end I went with Capture as I had already began a relationship with them.  Now the wait begins...........  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up