Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R1800 prints (wide0 magenta bands  (Read 2385 times)

almeck

Epson R1800 prints (wide0 magenta bands
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:54:08 pm »

I have a brand new Epson R1800, which I hope to use for good quality, wide format inkjet printing.  In fiddling around with it at first, I’m just printing 6x4 glossy prints (on Epson premium glossy paper).  Approximately 75% (as measured from the end of the paper that goes into the printer first) of my landscape-formatted test shot prints fine.  After this point, however, three faint (but really annoying, and unacceptable!) magenta “bands” or “stripes” occur across the remaining 25% of the print.  They are not “clogged nozzle” type artifacts, they are about ¼ inches wide, spaced about ¼ inches apart.  They are not “solid” bands, but, in Photoshop terms, I’d guess they’re about 20% opacity (you can see the actual image “underneath” these bands).

I have observed something that correlates with these bands.  In printing the same photo from 2 programs (Photoshop CS2 and good/bad old MS Paint), I have noticed that the printer cranks away quite nicely, with the head swishing back and forth in regular fashion *for the first 75% of the print*.  Then, it *stops* (for maybe 3 seconds), moves, stops again, moves, and stops again (I think), and then finishes up in a regular fashion.

This seems to be too much of a coincidence, I’m guessing whatever is causing the print head to stop is the source of the bands.

I’d be more than happy to provide more details to any interested problem solvers; I just thought I’d take a quick first stab at what might be a recognizable problem.

Thanks for whatever thoughts you may have,

Al Mecklenburg

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:34:47 pm »

Al,

Are there any signs of banding on the first 75% of the print?  Are you trying to print borderless?

I don't recognize the problem per se, but FWIW even though it doesn't seem to be clogged nozzles, I would still run a nozzle check and run the nozzle cleaning utility if needed.

I'm assuming you are already familiar with inkjet printing but it's also worth double (or triple) checking to make sure:

The Epson printer driver is properly set for the correct paper, size and border/borderless status.

The printer's carriage is set for the correct paper thickness.

Paul

efillink

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 05:05:22 am »

I have a brand new Epson R1800, which I hope to use for good quality, wide format inkjet printing.  In fiddling around with it at first, I’m just printing 6x4 glossy prints (on Epson premium glossy paper).  Approximately 75% (as measured from the end of the paper that goes into the printer first) of my landscape-formatted test shot prints fine.  After this point, however, three faint (but really annoying, and unacceptable!) magenta “bands” or “stripes” occur across the remaining 25% of the print.  They are not “clogged nozzle” type artifacts, they are about ¼ inches wide, spaced about ¼ inches apart.  They are not “solid” bands, but, in Photoshop terms, I’d guess they’re about 20% opacity (you can see the actual image “underneath” these bands).
I have observed something that correlates with these bands.  In printing the same photo from 2 programs (Photoshop CS2 and good/bad old MS Paint), I have noticed that the printer cranks away quite nicely, with the head swishing back and forth in regular fashion *for the first 75% of the print*.  Then, it *stops* (for maybe 3 seconds), moves, stops again, moves, and stops again (I think), and then finishes up in a regular fashion.
This seems to be too much of a coincidence, I’m guessing whatever is causing the print head to stop is the source of the bands.

I’d be more than happy to provide more details to any interested problem solvers; I just thought I’d take a quick first stab at what might be a recognizable problem.

Thanks for whatever thoughts you may have,

Al Mecklenburg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Al,

I have the R1800 for over a year.
When I print a full page A4 photo, the cartridge carrier will stop when it is almost finished the page.  It will continue and finish the print without any problems.

Your printer is a new one.  I will rule out print head clog, dust accumulation or other issues from printer getting used.

What could be causing the solid bands?  Have you tried to print the page backwards to see if this is a software or hardware issue?  If you can do an image scan and post the image, I would like to take a look of the photo.

Best regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up