Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is LL  (Read 12581 times)

Bobtrips

Where is LL
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 01:07:26 am »

Where is LL? This would appear to be an obvious question, yet the thread goes on and on. So I decided to have a look at it.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before in the thread, but the 3 most prolific posters on this forum are the Super Administrator, Neil, who has a massive 8,914 posts, presumably mostly hidden.

An American GI by the name of Jonathan Wienke, 4023 posts, and an obscure Australian by the name of Ray, 3,606 posts.

Michael is way behind with a mere 2,523 posts   .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why did the phrase "Quality, not quantity" suddenly pop to mind?

Random thought, I suppose.    

Ray

Where is LL
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 01:33:12 am »

Why did the phrase "Quality, not quantity" suddenly pop to mind?

Random thought, I suppose.     
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not a random thought, Bob, but a perfectly valid thought. Unfortunately, quality is subjective, so one could argue till the cows come home whether 1000 'quality' posts is more significant than '10,000' mediocre posts.

The only indisputable facts here are a matter of quantity. Just as 'physical' location is also a matter of quantity.

If you want to determine the location of LL on the basis of most frequent postings, then Neil should be able to provide the answer.

tve1964

• http://
Where is LL
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 04:59:11 am »

Chop your long posts into paragraphs or I'll be tempted to say something rude.

;o)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113184\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess here is also a cultural factor at play.

Some of us come from countries with rather different education systems in which written communication is taught differently from others. Therefore acceptance of other people's culture includes not only acceptance of their ideas and opinions  but also of their communication style (and proper paragraphs breaks)...

And I did not even mention the use of a foreign language... Having had to learn English, I could do with some indulgence from native English speakers in those matters.

Bobtrips

Where is LL
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 10:32:41 am »

I guess here is also a cultural factor at play.

Some of us come from countries with rather different education systems in which written communication is taught differently from others. Therefore acceptance of other people's culture includes not only acceptance of their ideas and opinions  but also of their communication style (and proper paragraphs breaks)...

And I did not even mention the use of a foreign language... Having had to learn English, I could do with some indulgence from native English speakers in those matters.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113373\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I travel a lot and can attest that there are cultures which are made more colorful by people who are able to talk non-stop for minutes on end.  Those folks must have an extra set of lungs.  

Of course, I rarely totally understand what they're saying....  ;o)

On a more serious note, I (and I suspect others) have some difficulty reading off a monitor.  One can't easily mark their place with their finger while they digest one thought before proceeding to the next.  

Placing a blank line between thoughts provides a 'thinking place'.

(When you used the word "rude" I assumed you to be British.  What is your native language and do you not use paragraphs when you write in that language?)

tve1964

• http://
Where is LL
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 12:47:32 am »

I travel a lot and can attest that there are cultures which are made more colorful by people who are able to talk non-stop for minutes on end.  Those folks must have an extra set of lungs. 

Of course, I rarely totally understand what they're saying....  ;o)

On a more serious note, I (and I suspect others) have some difficulty reading off a monitor.  One can't easily mark their place with their finger while they digest one thought before proceeding to the next. 

Placing a blank line between thoughts provides a 'thinking place'.
(When you used the word "rude" I assumed you to be British.  What is your native language and do you not use paragraphs when you write in that language?)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven*t used the word "rude" and I used paragraph separation, so I guess the question wasn't asked to me.
I actually agree that paragraph separation helps reading.

Bobtrips

Where is LL
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 12:37:44 pm »

I haven*t used the word "rude" and I used paragraph separation, so I guess the question wasn't asked to me.
I actually agree that paragraph separation helps reading.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113516\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, confused you with the other guy(?).  Both of you are using rather 'strange' user names and I didn't pick up on who was posting what.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Where is LL
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 02:49:25 am »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before in the thread, but the 3 most prolific posters on this forum are the Super Administrator, Neil, who has a massive 8,914 posts, presumably mostly hidden.

An American GI by the name of Jonathan Wienke, 4023 posts, and an obscure Australian by the name of Ray, 3,606 posts.

Michael is way behind with a mere 2,523 postsĀ 

Interesting. I hadn't realized I was #2 on LL for post count. Does that mean I get a cookie or something?

I've posted from California, Texas, South Dakota, Michigan, Deutchland, and Iraq. How does that affect the "location" of LL?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:52:46 am by Jonathan Wienke »

Giedo

Where is LL
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 03:22:06 am »

Is Luminous Landscape based in the US? or at least the Americas?

Certx, Where are you based yourself?

PS Rudeness is sth that comes with the misunderstanding that is part of the character of written digital media. email, posts on websites like these are often misunderstood. Use of emoticons can help a bit  

PS2 While I feel this site is relatively polite by nature, I have been offended motre than once - and that had nothing to do with cultural backgrounds, but apparant silly questions posed by me!  
Giedo

Ray

Where is LL
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 10:28:49 am »

I've posted from California, Texas, South Dakota, Michigan, Deutchland, and Iraq. How does that affect the "location" of LL?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good popint. It doesn't show up on your posts but I guess there would be some record of it. I've also posted from Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Bangkok, Pokhara, Kathmandu, Bangkok and a few other places outside Australia.

DarkPenguin

Where is LL
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 10:29:52 am »

Good popint. It doesn't show up on your posts but I guess there would be some record of it. I've also posted from Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Bangkok, Pokhara, Kathmandu, Bangkok and a few other places outside Australia.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113780\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I take it you liked Bangkok.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Where is LL
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 10:36:14 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113780\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Given the exotic locations you post images from, I have sometimes wondered if you really are from Australia, or if you actually spend some time there.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ray

Where is LL
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 09:48:14 pm »

I take it you liked Bangkok.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113782\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I see. I wrote Bangkok twice. I guess my subconscious is telling me I do like Bangkok, although my conscious part might disagree   .

Ray

Where is LL
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 09:52:30 pm »

Given the exotic locations you post images from, I have sometimes wondered if you really are from Australia, or if you actually spend some time there. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113783\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric,
I have dual citizenship, British and Australian. However, I've spent the greatest portion of my life in Australia so can therefore claim to be mostly Australian. On the other hand, early experiences are often the strongest, so perhaps I'm still really British.... or just plain confused   .
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up