Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital backs for Hasselblad C/M  (Read 8444 times)

Rossphoto

Digital backs for Hasselblad C/M
« on: April 15, 2007, 04:50:06 pm »

I have an old Hasselblad C/M with several Zeiss lenses. I'd like to use a digital back on it, but the ones I've read about are very pricey, $15K or more. Are there any good backs at a lower price? Any of them full frame? Thanks for your help.

rquindry

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:00:56 pm »

They are still very expensive but have come down in price some. Hasselblad has the CFV back - now at $9000 (Calumet Photo and others). Phase one has the P20 (just now being replaced by the p20+) for $8000. I have the CFV and have been very pleased with it.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 06:14:55 pm »

They are still very expensive but have come down in price some. Hasselblad has the CFV back - now at $9000 (Calumet Photo and others). Phase one has the P20 (just now being replaced by the p20+) for $8000. I have the CFV and have been very pleased with it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Both of these back have a severe crop the sensor being 36mm square compared to the 60mm sq recording area of a blad with film

No current chips cover 66 the closest being about 90% of 645

Teamwork in the UK have used Phase H20 (tethered no screen) for £3200 UK

This is probably about as cheap as is possible

Kodak Pro backs are even cheaper but are considered to be end of life with support ending soon and no upgrade path - they still take wonderful pictures though (at 100iso and quicker than 1/2 second)

Whereas I imagine a H20 will get you probably its own value towards a more modern phase whaen your funds allow

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 07:17:33 pm »

A Phase one P20 can be had for a very reasonable price and is still an exceptional product which works very nicely on a 'V' Blad albeit with a fair crop,  for instance, a 40mm becomes a 60mm.

I would still take one over any 35mm digital, even cropped down to a rectangle it still produces far far better results than a Canon 1DSmk2 or 5D. I have been doing some tests today even with long exposures and the Canon's cannot live with the P20.

Regards, Gary.

rgmoore

• http://
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 01:39:28 am »

A Phase one P20 can be had for a very reasonable price and is still an exceptional product which works very nicely on a 'V' Blad albeit with a fair crop,  for instance, a 40mm becomes a 60mm.

I would still take one over any 35mm digital, even cropped down to a rectangle it still produces far far better results than a Canon 1DSmk2 or 5D. I have been doing some tests today even with long exposures and the Canon's cannot live with the P20.

Regards, Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112578\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For use with DB's are you seeing better IQ with the more recent V Blad Zeiss lenses than with the older lenses? (Chrome and older style black T* lenses seem to be readily available at reasonable prices.) Also, is there an advantage of the newer 503CW body compared to older bodies?

I am not new to MF, but I am to digital backs. Working on upgrading from 5D. Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated.

Richard

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 05:05:02 am »

Richard,

I have not used any older 'c' lenses, black or chrome with the P20. My oldest lens is a 20 year old CF 60mm which is fantastic, the others being the latest CFE IF 40, 100CFI, 180CFE, all of which are as good as it gets. However i have over the years used many 'c' lenses with film, some of which are not as good as the later ones, something digital would show up more.

Given the pricing of 'CF' lenses now which are cheap, i would be inclined to at least stay with them and not the old 'c' style which are in general not as good as their CF/CFI/CFE counterparts, allied with the fact that the shutters are very old now, and not as reliable as the ones used on later lenses.

Regarding the 503CW, given that it is crucial to get correct registration between body and back, far more than film, i would be tempted to buy a new or late lightly used one, which will give you more chance of perfect body alignment, and thus digital back registration. Also the 503CW body has a gliding mirror system which stops the cutoff in the viewfinder of lenses longer than 150 and also when using extension tubes. Of course this will be less of a problem with the P20 viewfinder crop as opposed to say a P25.

As a guide to some really good lenses available at reasonable prices, may i suggest any of the following: 50CF FLE, 60CF, 80CF, 100CF, 180CF.

Regards, Gary.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:07:46 am by Gary Yeowell »

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 07:34:58 am »

I have had good luck with the 80CF and the 150 CF. 80 is the better of the two, and even with a P25, I will eventually migrate to the CFI's, as they are the best of all.

Whichever body you go for, I would also get it cleaned and adjusted. I saw a huge difference on my 500 C/M after a tune-up, in both focus and mirror bounce. Same with the lenses. These systems were never designed for this level of performance, so it is critical that everything be up to snuff as much as possible.

Best,

Eric Zepeda
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 05:42:59 pm »

Not quite the answer you are looking for but...

I am using 11 year old CF T* lenses with a 132 Imacon back and really can't complain at all. I even think the 40mm IF is better with digital than it ever was with film and the 80, 100 and 180mm lenses seem to be as sharp as the back gets. Very fine detail is always very crisp - the one thing that tempts me to the H system is the fact that it is almost impossible to see in the viewfinder the amount of detail the back and lenses can record( and the waist level viewfinder is fantastic for this as it is so much brighter / crisper to focus than the prisms).  AF or electronic focus confirmation would be very useful sometimes at wide apetures.
I have looked at quite a few H system samples now and apart from better ( or different ) bokeh, wider wides and some shooting convenience, I  can't see I am missing too much, if anything, in terms of lens sharpness. I will probably go there as my V series equipment ages ( it still looks like new as it has led a pampered life) but with the CF adaptor available it can be a slow process if need be.
I have just  bought a more recent 150mm CFi lens and have not really had a chance to try it but I expect will not be any worse than the others, even if it is the same I will be quite satisfied.

For use with DB's are you seeing better IQ with the more recent V Blad Zeiss lenses than with the older lenses? (Chrome and older style black T* lenses seem to be readily available at reasonable prices.) Also, is there an advantage of the newer 503CW body compared to older bodies?

I am not new to MF, but I am to digital backs. Working on upgrading from 5D. Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated.

Richard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rgmoore

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 12:41:33 am »

Not quite the answer you are looking for but...

I am using 11 year old CF T* lenses with a 132 Imacon back and really can't complain at all. I even think the 40mm IF is better with digital than it ever was with film and the 80, 100 and 180mm lenses seem to be as sharp as the back gets. Very fine detail is always very crisp - the one thing that tempts me to the H system is the fact that it is almost impossible to see in the viewfinder the amount of detail the back and lenses can record( and the waist level viewfinder is fantastic for this as it is so much brighter / crisper to focus than the prisms).  AF or electronic focus confirmation would be very useful sometimes at wide apetures.
I have looked at quite a few H system samples now and apart from better ( or different ) bokeh, wider wides and some shooting convenience, I  can't see I am missing too much, if anything, in terms of lens sharpness. I will probably go there as my V series equipment ages ( it still looks like new as it has led a pampered life) but with the CF adaptor available it can be a slow process if need be.
I have just  bought a more recent 150mm CFi lens and have not really had a chance to try it but I expect will not be any worse than the others, even if it is the same I will be quite satisfied.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112729\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rgmoore

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 12:54:19 am »

Gary and Sean,

Thank you both for the thoughtful replies. The information is very helpful. These variations of lenses
within the V System did not seem as critical in the film days, but with digital minor differences are taken seriously at this level of performance. It's interesting to note that several regulars on this forum who use Blad V System have also acquired the Contax.

Thank you again.

Richard

samuel_js

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 05:38:04 am »

Gary and Sean,
 It's interesting to note that several regulars on this forum who use Blad V System have also acquired the Contax.

Thank you again.

Richard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112799\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Me being one of them. I actually sold the H1 for the Contax system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up