Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 D-max?  (Read 2633 times)

Geoff Wittig

Z3100 D-max?
« on: April 14, 2007, 09:34:41 pm »

I've read posts about the Z3100 with great interest, and I'm seriously considering one as a step up from my Epson 7600. My biggest concern is the D-max this printer can generate, since much of my work is now black & white. To my eye at least, D-max is immensely important to the perceived quality and impact of black & white prints. Within months of the first rumors of Epson's 2400/7800/9800 there were published reports detailing the D-max these printers could yield. I can't find anything spelling out the D-max the HP Z3100 can produce on semigloss/luster versus fine art/cotton rag papers.
So can any of our illustrious members enlighten me?

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 D-max?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 08:24:32 am »

I've read posts about the Z3100 with great interest, and I'm seriously considering one as a step up from my Epson 7600. My biggest concern is the D-max this printer can generate, since much of my work is now black & white. To my eye at least, D-max is immensely important to the perceived quality and impact of black & white prints. Within months of the first rumors of Epson's 2400/7800/9800 there were published reports detailing the D-max these printers could yield. I can't find anything spelling out the D-max the HP Z3100 can produce on semigloss/luster versus fine art/cotton rag papers.
So can any of our illustrious members enlighten me?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which reminds me that I should make some B&W profiles for HP Premium Instant Dry satin and gloss.

I have no numbers yet for gloss or satin but on HM PhotoRag in the Advanced B&W mode (HP calls it Advanced Lightness and Gray Balance Adjustment) of the Z3100 driver
I get 1.73-1.74 Dmax. Media profile chosen is Thick Fine Art paper>250 gsm and calibrated. On top of that I use a by the Quadtone Rip profiler created QTR RGB B&W profile. Printing from Qimage. That is higher on HM PR than I could get with my Epson 9000 and 10000 loaded with MIS Eboni black, the last is considered a very good matte pigment ink on HM coatings.

While the Litho realistic media profile gives a wider color gamut on HM PR it is less in Dmax.

A RIP may be able to get near 1.8 Dmax but usually that will be the max possible.

Ernst Dinkla

try:  [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

Geoff Wittig

Z3100 D-max?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 03:40:12 pm »

Many thanks!
I suspect that I will lean toward the semi-gloss & luster papers for my B&W prints for the darker D-max; currently I've been using an Epson 2400 for this reason, cursing its obscene ink costs the whole time.

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
Z3100 D-max?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:47:47 pm »

I measured an L* of right around 3.2 on the HP ID Satin paper using the drivers and a cutom profile. The black ink is very dense, to the point that the blacks are at times noticably more dense than prints made on other printers.

Julian Mussi
www.spectraflow.com
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow
Pages: [1]   Go Up