Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the most from a digital back  (Read 3214 times)

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
Getting the most from a digital back
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:52:42 pm »

I'm just wondering if anyone can help.  I use my Aptus 75 for architectural work on a Gottschalt system ... with a Hasselblad V connector.  I also use a hasselblad V etc for portrait work etc. Recently I have begun to set the gottschalt camera up in the centre of the auditorium for my theatre work, and although the shots are formal set pieces at various stages of a performance, the files really blow my Nikon images out of the water. (Yes I know I should be using Canon but I'm stuck with a load of Nikkors) I can get so much more from the Leaf files .. sharpness.. colour .. tonality etc. even at iso 400.  Most of the shots used are printed at A1 or A0 for front of house .. and the difference is plain to see. I know this is due to bit depth and so on .. but I was wondering .... with the Hasselblad V connector

.. have I put myself out in the cold as regards a good auto-focus MF camera?  

I don't mind spending a bit .. eg the Sinar M seems an interesting system ... but will I have to change the connector on the Aptus in any event? In using a V connector have I limited the options for use of the digital back? (Based in Dublin with only one or two suppliers, it's hard to see what is actually on the back of a lot of camera systems.. the websites never show you this!)

Ros

www.roskavanagh.com

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 11:15:34 pm »

You might be a bit out of luck with the v-mount Aptus and an autofocus mf system. While many mf AF cameras such as Contax or Mamiya have adapter that allow you to use Hassy V lenses, I don't know of any v-mount af mf systems.

The great thing about this forum is that someone will be sure to correct me if I am wrong.

Best,

Eric Zepeda
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

JTFOTO

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:29:59 am »

Unfortunately there is no way to use a V mounted back on anything other than the RZ.

How old is your Aptus 75?  Some dealers will allow you a free mount change within the first year.  Possibly for a small fee of about $1,000.

How old is your back?

How many shots are on it?

Would you be up for selling it?

One of the best backs to use on multiple system is the Hassy CF 39 backs or the Sinar Emotion as they use adapter plates.  I am not a big fan of the Sinar backs as Capture shop is (to me) a pain to use.  I really like flexcolor and the CF looks great at 400.

The great thing about the CF backs is you can use it on your Hassy V and your Gottschalt and get yourself and H1/2 with the CF lens adapter and still use your CF lenses and slowly grow the H lenses.  Start with a 150 for stage and then see if you can use the 110.

You can also load up on Contax 645 and get the Pentax 67 lens adapter and Hassy CF lens adapter from Zoerk.  The ability to use a ton of lenses from the Hassy FE lenses that are amazing and the Pentax 67 lenses all super fasy at 2.0 and 2.8 for stage.  The options lets you use the HassyV lenses you have as well.  My only problem with it, is that eat eats through batteries.  

The other option is the Mamiya AFDII with a P30 at 800 for stage stuff and a remote RZ for wide stuff.  The ability to use the one back on RZ and AFD II.

Best of luck

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 03:13:20 am »

Welcome in between a rock & a hardplace. I find myself in exactly the same position. I use several types of V-mount cameras and would like to have an AF MF solution as well. Unfortunetally Leaf doesn't have an adapter plate system.

Sofar the only solution I am seeing is either going with Imacon or Sinar with various adapter plates or getting a second back.

Not sure what connection the M has. Maybe it is V?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 03:13:46 am by Dustbak »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 04:53:56 am »

Did you really use Captureshop or did somebody show you?

It is the most simple and most photographer-orientated piece of capture software you can find, once you have been using it for a few hours: not over-charged with features one does not need or which are available in all PP applications. The workflow is simple and fast: select your images in the contact sheet and apply whatever setting/change you wish and it gets applied automatically and in a few seconds to all your selected images.

Beside this, there is even a faster way to do, without the need to use Captureshop: use the Brumbaer "eMotion DNG Converter" piece of software with your eMotion back: I don't think any other software will beat it in term of quality of the converted raw files, nor in term of speed (3 to 5 sec conversion time per image, depending on the computer in use), and this with "highlight Recovery" and automatic "White Shading" applied to the files.

best regards,
Thierry

One of the best backs to use on multiple system is the Hassy CF 39 backs or the Sinar Emotion as they use adapter plates.  I am not a big fan of the Sinar backs as Capture shop is (to me) a pain to use. .

Best of luck
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112449\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:34:54 am »

Thanks for your replies folkes ... interesting that I'm not the only one with this problem...

I recently was given a pile of ametuer photographer mags from the '50's ... and I was amazed to see the sheer breadth of equipment and manufacturers advertised ... small companies offering slightly different products.... Seems nothing much has changed!

I'm going to investigate getting my Gottschalt changed to another connector system .. although I'm not sure how feasable that is... that would mean a connector change for the Leaf back that I'm using...... AND I'M NOT GOING TO SELL IT! .. This back was hand delivered by Leaf and produces lovely centrefold free shift wide angle images.  (Thanks for the enquiry though)

... I'll keep you all updated .. might take a bit of time to get all the options on the table...

Ros

www.roskavanagh.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up