Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: to Phase One P 30 owners  (Read 4179 times)

heinrichvoelkel

to Phase One P 30 owners
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:36:54 pm »

As I understand the use of microlenses does degrade the picture quality when wide angle lenses are used!
Now the Leica M8 uses ecactly these microlenses as well and is naturally made for wideangle lenses.

Could anybody using a Phase One P30 back tell me from everyday use what the microlenses do, I mean is the effect visible in the pics?

Thanks in advance,

Heinrich Voelkel
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:37:48 pm by heinrichvoelkel »

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
to Phase One P 30 owners
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:01:08 pm »

As I understand the use of microlenses does degrade the picture quality when wide angle lenses are used!
Now the Leica M8 uses ecactly these microlenses as well and is naturally made for wideangle lenses.

Could anybody using a Phase One P30 back tell me from everyday use what the microlenses do, I mean is the effect visible in the pics?
Thanks in advance,

Heinrich Voelkel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112404\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i use my P30 with the mamiya 35mm and there is no problem at all, phase does not recommend using the P30 with movements because of the microlenses...but without movements there should not be any problems....

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
to Phase One P 30 owners
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 09:07:48 pm »

Thanks in advance,

Heinrich Voelkel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112404\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The M8 has special radially offset microlenses.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

heinrichvoelkel

to Phase One P 30 owners
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 09:32:24 pm »

The M8 has special radially offset microlenses.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112420\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you

heinrichvoelkel

to Phase One P 30 owners
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 09:34:49 pm »

i use my P30 with the mamiya 35mm and there is no problem at all, phase does not recommend using the P30 with movements because of the microlenses...but without movements there should not be any problems....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ahhh, exactly what I was looking for...Thanks....and one more question: how does 800iso look like...beyond usable...good?...lovely?...perfect?...

pss

to Phase One P 30 owners
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 10:38:44 pm »

Ahhh, exactly what I was looking for...Thanks....and one more question: how does 800iso look like...beyond usable...good?...lovely?...perfect?...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112425\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

very useable for 800....i always liked the canon 3200 "look" where the noise looks very grain like....there is definitely noise but it looks very much like film grain....so i actually prefer the 800 (on the P30) to the 400....the 400 is not clean enough to be used for clean shots and the 800 almost has a tri-x look to it.....i never use any noise remover, i feel they always just smudge away the grain and it never looks right to me....i would rather have hard grain then watercolors....

not sure if this helps, it is very hard to judge this......i prefer the P30 at 800 to the canons, i also liked the P20 at 400 better....the noise looks just much more like film grain then digital noise....and the canons are very good, the P30 is just better....

so to answer your question: it looks lovely....because it is definitely there, but it looks like it belongs there, just like with any good old grainy B&W film......

william

to Phase One P 30 owners
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 12:28:08 am »

I agree, if you're talking about converting to B&W.  For me personally, I find the color noise with the P30 at ISO 800 unpleasing.  To each his own...

so to answer your question: it looks lovely....because it is definitely there, but it looks like it belongs there, just like with any good old grainy B&W film......
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112433\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pss

to Phase One P 30 owners
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 01:31:37 am »

I agree, if you're talking about converting to B&W.  For me personally, I find the color noise with the P30 at ISO 800 unpleasing.  To each his own...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

again: this is a VERY personal thing.....i never convert to B&W, i still find it nice....film grain like....kodak made a great 3200 slide film at one point (maybe it was 35mm only?) and that was a lot grainier, but it somehow reminds me of that.....

heinrichvoelkel

to Phase One P 30 owners
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 05:42:25 am »

so to answer your question: it looks lovely
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112433\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for your impressions. Can you point me to image on you website shot at 800?!

Thanks in advance
Pages: [1]   Go Up