Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 profiling puzzle  (Read 2607 times)

Charles Gast

z3100 profiling puzzle
« on: April 14, 2007, 09:13:33 am »

After doing the paper calibration I noticed that two 1252 kb icc profiles are automatically placed in my windows/system32/spool/drivers/color folder. One with the paper name I gave it followed by GEON and one followed by GEOFF.
After I do the profiling of that paper a single  867kb profile is placed in the color folder and it has the name I gave the paper with no GEON or GEOFF added.
The question is what is done with the calibration file?  When I print I assume I am supposed to use the smaller file created when I did the profiling  but what are the other two files used for?
If no one knows I'll be on the phone Monday to see whats up. Maybe the printer has those two  GEON and GEOFF files on its drive and uses them when the image gets to the printer. If that is the case then why are those two files loaded automatically into the computers folder?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:13:17 pm by Charles Gast »

Charles Gast

z3100 profiling puzzle
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:35:59 am »

Back to the top
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:14:22 pm by Charles Gast »

Charles Gast

z3100 profiling puzzle
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:40:56 am »

A couple of things;

A bug in the driver when using photoshop in windows. When I add a custom paper size with a cut sheet in the printer I cannot choose and use that custom size until I close out of the print driver and restart it.

Even though I created a profile without gloss enhancer and when exporting the icc it new that the GE was OFF (it added GEOFF to the profile name for me) it tries to print with the ge on the whole page when using that profile. It is necessary to go into custom print quality options to turn it off.

Has anyone else noticed the "16bit application compatibility" enable/disable selection under the advanced tab?  I have not seen it mentioned anywhere and I recall the 16bit plugin with the Canon getting alot of attention.

Charles Gast

z3100 profiling puzzle
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 03:22:50 pm »

I'll keep this as a log here so when I call tech support Monday I can read from this.
Also useful to other new users.
I inserted a letter size sheet of hot press 325 paper after creating a custom paper in the easy printer care application. I told it to color calibrate the paper and it did. I then went to the next step of creating a profile for that newly cablibrated custom paper. I loaded an 11x17 sheet.  The progress bar said it was creating the icc profile but instead of printing the icc target it printed a calibration target in the top corner of the sheet, then said it did not have paper loaded and wanted another sheet. It appears to be a bug. I shutdown the application, restarted it and it profiled OK.

BTW I printed the Bill Atkinson Lab target on the calibrated and profiled Inkjet art microceramic luster and it looks great.   Strawberries look delicious !

Charles Gast

z3100 profiling puzzle
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:22:19 pm »

The printer won't work with landscape mode images with letter size sheets. I selected landscape and photoshops preview showed it oriented correctly and even HP's preview window indicated it would print properly on the page. The printer puts it on the sheet in landscape mode at the top of the sheet and crops the sides. It did not overspray the sides. The printer knew what size and orientation the paper was so it just cropped.  The only way to get it right was to rotate the image in photoshop and print it as portrait.

The printer crops anything over about 10.1 inch on a letter size sheet.  If I try to print an image size of 10.4 it crops. Instead of centering the image it is about 1/8 of an inch from the left edge and almost 3/4 of an inch from the right edge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up