Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Canon Shooting LR users still using DPP?  (Read 2524 times)

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Any Canon Shooting LR users still using DPP?
« on: April 14, 2007, 04:41:30 am »

I was curious if any Canon DSLR shooters who are now using Lightroom v1.0 still use Canon's DPP software for RAW conversions.

My experiences a few years ago with DPP 2.0 was that the conversions from my Canon 1Ds MkII and 20D were excellent, but the program was very difficult to use.

Cheers.

Bud James
North Wales, PA
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

tve1964

• http://
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 04:52:45 am »

I was curious if any Canon DSLR shooters who are now using Lightroom v1.0 still use Canon's DPP software for RAW conversions.

My experiences a few years ago with DPP 2.0 was that the conversions from my Canon 1Ds MkII and 20D were excellent, but the program was very difficult to use.

Cheers.

Bud James
North Wales, PA
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I still use it (there is an improved 3.0 version recently made available).
I would advise everyone that has discarded DPP for the WF and GUI to give it 10% of the time you put into trying to figure out LR. You will probably find out that it is very usable. I know, I'm one of them. I went and spent the money on RSP, and although I loved its Workflow and deeply regret it, I must be honest and say that once I gave the latest version of DPP a fair try, it is now my preferred RAW converter for 90% of my images. It is simply the best for bulk adjustment, and if your style of photography is more on picture taking that time on the computer (which is my case), I think you will like it. Basically, I find that with DPP you can shoot RAW and then come back home and re-do the in-camera settings if you got them wrong in the field, including (to some limits of course) the exposure. Then you can let the software work.
The real productivity factor of a RAW converter comes from how fast you can get satisfactory colours after simple or no corrections (again, for those who are not photo editing freaks).
DPP 3.0 (and 2.0) have a good reviewing tool (fast) which lets you prioritize the photos, it has a repair tool that let’s you repair dust spots. Version 3.0 has colour fringing correction and other advanced Noise Reduction features.
When I see that some are converting their CR2s to DNGs and discarding the originals, I’m thinking there are some crazy folks out there. Canon knows their camera better than anyone and when they improve their software it allows users to go back to their old CR2s and CRWs and let them benefit from the improvements. Something not possible for those who have taken up the DNG relegion so seriously that they have deleted their originals (I know that there are even more crazy people that embedd the CR2s in the DNGs).
Although I own a copy of LR (and I use it with satisfaction on some images) I think from the workflow perspective, I am much better off using a separate DAM software and use original camera maker software + another advanced RAW converter like Silkypix for images that require more control. I really wished Adobe had kept RSP alive and updated it with the colour profiles and colour processing features that are in LR. This way those who like the full LR application could be happy, and those who do not like the DAM and slowness in general of the application could also keep their preferred way of working, all of them using Adobe products (the one they choose). Unfortunately Adobe aims at dominating the market for digital photography and will not give users that choice.

Back to the original subject: DPP. Give the last version (3.0) a shot, have a look at the DPP tutorials on Canon’s web site, try for a few days a workflow with your DAM software of choice (iView Media Pro, iDImager, ACDSee,…) and make up your opinion after that.

a_krause

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:45:41 am »

i personally really love the DPP raw file conversions and feel like i get better colors then with ACR. but unfortunately DPP is not good for making selects etc etc. Right now I am trying to figure out a way to use LR to make selects and put in metadata info, and then use DPP for conversions. blah
Pages: [1]   Go Up