Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo in a cave  (Read 2839 times)

Mebeline

Photo in a cave
« on: April 13, 2007, 04:53:29 pm »

I made this photo in New Zealand. I was just fast enough to catch the posture of my friend. I stabilized the camera on a rock. What do you think?

popnfresh

Photo in a cave
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 04:18:04 pm »

This is the kind of shot that would benefit from a multiple exposure with HDR/tone mapped post-processing. The contrast is too severe to fit within the dynamic range of your camera. Too much of the shot is either completely black or blown-out white and what you're left with isn't much.

I'm also not sure that your friend's backside does anything for the composition. I find myself wanting to see more hints of what's going on in the inky blackness inside the cave and also some detail in the blown outdoor area.

But this shot was a quick grab and the lighting was impossible under those circumstances.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:24:07 pm by popnfresh »

robertvine

• http://www.robertvinephotography.com.au
Photo in a cave
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:43:01 am »

How did this scene look to your eye at the time? Could you see a lot of detail in the darkness or was it very dark compared to the bright light from outside? I would steer clear from HDR and instead try to reprocude the scene as you could see it. There is a little too much black areas though, try a square crop to cut off a lot of the black areas. Still keep some there though, they add to the mood.

PS. The light shining though the dust is great! A crop as I suggest above will make this more prominent.
Robert Vine
Darwin, Australia Canon 6D +
Pages: [1]   Go Up