Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Epson 3800 printer driver setting  (Read 7456 times)

NikosR

• http://
Question on Epson 3800 printer driver setting
« on: April 13, 2007, 01:37:30 pm »

Hi,

I have been printing from PS to the 3800 using PS colour management and Off (no colour adjustment) in the printer driver colour management settings.

I just discovered that under ICM setting there is a Driver ICM(Basic), Driver ICM(Advanced) and Host ICM settings.

What is the difference between Off (no colour adjustment) and ICM -> Host ICM settings? And why can you choose a rendering intent in the driver when Host ICM is selected?

Nikos

Athens, Greece
Nikos

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:55:39 pm »

NikosR, this gets into the issue of whether you let your application (e.g., Photoshop) perform the conversion from your image's RGB space to the printer's RGB space or whether you let the Epson driver do it.

1) When you let PS do it (e.g., choose Let Photoshop Determine Colors from the Color Handling menu in PS's Print With Preview box), then you need to disable color management in the Epson driver. This is performed by setting the Printer Color Management setting in the Epson driver to Off (No Color Adjustment).

2) When you let the Epson driver perform the conversion instead (e.g., choose Let Printer Determine Colors from the Color Handling menu in PS's Print With Preview box), then in most cases you need to choose ICM from the Printer Color Management setting in the driver. By choosing Host ICM, the Epson driver is simply using your operating system's built-in color management routines to perform the conversion (instead of using its own internal routines). You get to choose a rendering intent in much the same way that PS allows you to choose a rendering intent if you go with option #1 above.

If this doesn't make sense to you and you would like to keep life simple, I suggest that you stick with Option #1: Let Photoshop Determine Colors and set the Epson driver to Off (No Color Adjustment).
Eric Chan

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:49:08 pm »

NikosR, this gets into the issue of whether you let your application (e.g., Photoshop) perform the conversion from your image's RGB space to the printer's RGB space or whether you let the Epson driver do it.

1) When you let PS do it (e.g., choose Let Photoshop Determine Colors from the Color Handling menu in PS's Print With Preview box), then you need to disable color management in the Epson driver. This is performed by setting the Printer Color Management setting in the Epson driver to Off (No Color Adjustment).

2) When you let the Epson driver perform the conversion instead (e.g., choose Let Printer Determine Colors from the Color Handling menu in PS's Print With Preview box), then in most cases you need to choose ICM from the Printer Color Management setting in the driver. By choosing Host ICM, the Epson driver is simply using your operating system's built-in color management routines to perform the conversion (instead of using its own internal routines). You get to choose a rendering intent in much the same way that PS allows you to choose a rendering intent if you go with option #1 above.

If this doesn't make sense to you and you would like to keep life simple, I suggest that you stick with Option #1: Let Photoshop Determine Colors and set the Epson driver to Off (No Color Adjustment).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112242\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. That sort of makes sense, but I'm still a bit confused about the ICM Host setting. I suppose it has to do with properly colour managed OS's and not Windows XP I'm using...

I knew about the rest and I've been using Off (no colour adjustment) for years with PS colour management. It is just that I had never seen the setting ICM (Host) before in my other Epson printer drivers (2100 and R800).
Nikos
Pages: [1]   Go Up