Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which are the better Hasselblad HC lenses?  (Read 4435 times)

Henry Goh

Which are the better Hasselblad HC lenses?
« on: April 12, 2007, 11:24:12 pm »

I have some C and CF lenses but have never shot with a H version of Hasselblad yet.  If I went with a H3D, could those with user experience tell me which are the lenses you consider better, sharper, better tonality etc.

Thanks for any info.

Henry

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:31:03 pm »

I have used some C and CF lenses on my Hassy H2 with a leaf aptus 65 back.  I have tried the 40mm and 50mm CFE lenses.  They are not close to the HC lenses in terms of sharpness and tonality.

I have some C and CF lenses but have never shot with a H version of Hasselblad yet.  If I went with a H3D, could those with user experience tell me which are the lenses you consider better, sharper, better tonality etc.

Thanks for any info.

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112140\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henry Goh

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:54:50 pm »

I have used some C and CF lenses on my Hassy H2 with a leaf aptus 65 back.  I have tried the 40mm and 50mm CFE lenses.  They are not close to the HC lenses in terms of sharpness and tonality.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112141\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Mark.  Can I then say that it will be a waste of time and money trying to use an adapter and keeping the older lenses?  What about among the HC lenses - any particular ones stand out exceptionally?

Henry

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 01:44:22 am »

If you already have the lenses, it might be worth getting an adapter and trying for yourself.  I only tried these two. I have heard the new 40mm CFE IF  lens is outstanding but it is 5K.  You can always sell the adapter and lenses later.

In regards to the HC lenses, I think the 50-110 is an outstanding optic. It is darn sharp wide open and almost as good as the primes I have compared in this focal range.   It is very big and heavy though.  I have the 35mm, 80mm, 100mm, 150mm, 120mm macro, and 210mm and 1.7x TC.  The TC and 210 are an excellent combo with no loss of image quality at least on the aptus 65 with the cropped sensor.  I am pleased with the 100mm bokeh and ability to get a shallow DOF.  It is not too different than my canon 85mm 1.2 in that regard (bokeh and shallow DOF).   THe macro is great. I just got the 150mm and have not had time to test it out.  I will either keep the 100 or 150 though.  I really do like the 100mm though.  THe 35mm is a very decent wide angle but some have  told me the 40mm CFE IF is the one CF lens that beats the HC lens but I never had the CFE IF lens to compare.  In the end, I sold my CF to H adapter and the  two CF lenses I owned. I am not sure how much this helps. Mark

Thanks Mark.  Can I then say that it will be a waste of time and money trying to use an adapter and keeping the older lenses?  What about among the HC lenses - any particular ones stand out exceptionally?

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112145\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 01:45:27 am by MarkKay »

Henry Goh

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 02:36:12 am »

helped plenty Mark.  Thanks.

Henry

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 05:43:35 am »

I second what Mark said. I have every H lens except the 100mm and they are all sharp. The 1.7x is also excellent, even on the 300mm. I don't know if you can tell from web images, but my website is mostly H photographs. Good luck.

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 05:13:29 pm »

If the best wideangle is your goal then it is the 'V' 40 CFE IF which is absolutely outstanding from wide open onwards. This lens comfortably beats my 35mm Contax lens which i rate at slightly better than the 35 HC lens when i tried them, but it was close. The 40 'V' lens is my most used lens, just nudging out the 100mm Planar which is also incredible.

As for HC lenses being better than all 'V' lenses, all i can say is look at the FUGLY out of focus rendition of the 'H' lenses.

Gary.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 05:17:18 pm by Gary Yeowell »
Pages: [1]   Go Up