Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4000 and Vista  (Read 1938 times)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Epson 4000 and Vista
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:43:21 am »

I see where the Vista 64 bit drivers for the 4000 have been posted.  Anyone have any experience?

OT and FWIW:  Since starting to track in Dec 05 the ratio of ink used for cleaning vs printing stands at 845ml to 944ml.  I'm looking forward to a 17" HP with roll and cassette feed (someday).

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
Epson 4000 and Vista
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:01:09 pm »

Related to the new Vista version (5.5d) is the new non-Vista version (5.5c). 5.5c does not have the Microsoft compatibility certificate for drivers, which caused an OS-level warning and do you want to continue? message to pop up in the middle of the install process on XP ... after 5.5d has already deleted every trace of the previous driver. No matter which way I responded I got a totally messed up install, the inability to access all my previous paper definitions, etc., and no tool tray icon.

An e-mail reporting the problem and requesting a link to the previous cut of the driver resulted in the usual incompetent baffle-gab and no joy, so I'm now limping along with the original and highly buggy driver from the CD.

If you are using a previous version of the 4000 driver on XP, I strongly suggest sticking with that. (And if anyone knows where I can get a copy of the previous driver, I'll be greatly grateful.)

naisan

Epson 4000 and Vista
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:49:13 pm »

the deal on vista drivers:

1) in general you need signed (these have a digital certificate affirming approval from MSFT) drivers

a) if you have 32-bit (regular) vista, then the operating system will not force you to have the signed drivers - unsigned drivers are ok. the system will warn you, you say ok, and then proceed.

If you're running 64-bit vista version ( and you will have had to go through some effort so you will know if you are) then the operating system will NOT let you run the unsigned drivers. The only way I know around this is to press F8 during boot, and selecting the option to allow for unsigned drivers to function. You must do this EVERY time the system boots if you need that unsigned driver during that session.

I have 64-bit and that's how I get my gretag driver to load to do calibrations every so often. . . dolor in the rumpy side. . . but that's supposed to enhance security.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Epson 4000 and Vista
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 09:27:28 am »

I vaguely remember seeing on the Epson site a timetable that had the certified drivers for Vista 64 for the various 4000 software components gradually leaking out over the summer, last piece, I think, was August.
Pages: [1]   Go Up