Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Freezes during Import  (Read 14452 times)

Syl

• http://www.sylarena.com
Lightroom Freezes during Import
« on: April 10, 2007, 03:25:35 pm »

Lightroom crashes each and everytime I try to import images from CF cards. [Details on my system appear below.] The program not only freezes, it ignores "Force Quit" and won't allow my system to shut down. Essentially I have to restart my system by pulling the battery from my laptop.

Apparently this is a well-known problem on the Adobe Lr forums. The Great Father's response... either "import into Lr after copying the data to your computer's drive via the old fashioned way" or "import less than 100 files at a time." Both are unacceptable. The potential to have near automatic file import and validation is a big plus. The idea of regressing to batching my files into folders of 100 images is appalling. I would be grateful for any insight into more professional solutions.

[My system: MacBook Pro, 3gb ram, Mac OS X 10.4.8, Lexar CF reader attached via Firewire 800 cable, Lr v1.0, Lexar & SanDisk pro cards 4gb and 8gb, Canon 5D]

Many thanks for your insights.  Syl
[span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:

tonyswash

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 05:32:06 pm »

No solution I am afraid - I get the same crash and the same system lock up - it actually requires me to reboot, which with MacOsX takes some doing! I think the bug is well known and will be fixed - until then you have to copy the files the old fashioned way - bummer.

francois

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 03:09:02 am »

On my Mac, LR has only freezed once but a customer of mine cannot do imports at all. LR freezes 9 times out of 10. He has to reboot his Mac (dual G5). Importing less than 100 images also produces crashes. I've asked him to try with another card reader but in the end he decided to transfer files to his hard disk manually and then to import them into LR.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 03:09:53 am by francois »
Francois

Syl

• http://www.sylarena.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 10:48:44 pm »

George Jardine at Adobe was kind enough to carry my frustrations with Lr crashing during imports  to the Lr development team. The simple workaround is to turn off "Render Previews" in the Import screen. After making this one click I was able to import 10gb+ of CR2 files from two CF cards without any problems. 792 files imported without a hiccup! George reports that the problem has been addressed in an upcoming Lr update.
[span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:

francois

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 02:12:35 am »

George Jardine at Adobe was kind enough to carry my frustrations with Lr crashing during imports  to the Lr development team. The simple workaround is to turn off "Render Previews" in the Import screen. After making this one click I was able to import 10gb+ of CR2 files from two CF cards without any problems. 792 files imported without a hiccup! George reports that the problem has been addressed in an upcoming Lr update.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112134\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Syl,
Thanks for the info. No later than yesterday, another customer reported multiple LR freezes when importing directly from CF cards...
Francois

seanmcfoto

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 02:04:57 am »

I've been having this issue for ages and it seemed no one was listening, on the U2U forums and other less public places. At least someone got through Syl..
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea
Pages: [1]   Go Up